Lessons from Jeff Stoutland

S

Stoutland was overrated AF & he was another OL coach that rotated OL like a fool.

You’re really giving him credit for signing Harlan Gunn…MARIO CRISTOBAL is responsible for him. Go read his recruiting profile on Canesport…if you got that wrong then you likely got most of it wrong.

We hired Stoutland from the scrap heap when no one wanted him. He was out of work when we hired him. Yeah yeah..Bama hired him right? They hired Panuzzi & sorry a$$ Dan Enos too. Spare me the Bama angle.

He’s in the good ole boys network so he’ll always keep a job but to make him out to be a top NFL OL coach is crazy!
Sacks allowed
2006: 26 (2 pg), ranked 59th (B4 Stoutland)
2007: 25 (2.08 pg) ranked 62nd
2008: 27 (2.08 pg) ranked 71st
2009: 35 (2.69 pg), ranked 100th
2010: 17 (1.31 pg), ranked 24th

Rushing yards per game
2006: 116ypg (3.5 ypc) ranked 84th (B4 Stoutland)
2007: 145 ypg (3.6ypc), ranked 65th
2008: 129 ypg (3.9 ypc), ranked 78th
2009: 138 ypg (3.87 ypc), ranked 70th
2010: 182 ypg (4.8 ypc), ranked 30th
Stoutland turned Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Evan Mathis and Lane Johnson into Pro Bowlers. He took a rugby player who never played football and turned him into a $64 million tackle.

He’s considered one of the best OL coaches in the world, which is why three straight Eagles coaches have kept him.

Advertisement
Stoutland turned Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Evan Mathis and Lane Johnson into Pro Bowlers. He took a rugby player who never played football and turned him into a $64 million tackle.

He’s considered one of the best OL coaches in the world, which is why three straight Eagles coaches have kept him.
FACTS.
H
Show me an OL coach who took someone who's only played Aussie Rules football and turn them into a 64 million dollar tackle. And made Nick Bosa of the 49ers have a empty stat line against him.

Stoutland is a **** good coach and I will stand by that. Proof and that superbowl ring is in the pudding.

That's nice, but weren't we talking about college football? Average OL's at best while here, the stats prove it. He did well getting guys to the next level who did more there than they did here and there's various reasons as to why that could be.

That's nice, but weren't we talking about college football?
He won two straight national titles as a college football OL coach. And that was after he built our best lines in almost two decades, filled with future NFL players.

The fact that we didn’t get more out of those lines is an indictment on the HC and the OC. Stoutland didn’t forget how to coach OL while he was here, and his eye for talent is unmatched.

Advertisement
He won two straight national titles as OL coach? And that was after he built our best lines in almost two decades, filled with future NFL players.

The fact that we didn’t get more out of those lines is an indictment on the HC and the OC. Stoutland didn’t forget how to coach OL while he was here, and his eye for talent is unmatched.

The highest paid Center in NFL history credits Stoutland, and attended the U because of him.

Stoutland was by far our best coach under Randy and one of the best coaches the program has had in 20 years. He was always willing to help and teach in the athletic office. I was just a video guy filming practice and on slow days he would invite me into his office to evaluate recruiting tape with him. Not because I was some brilliant mind, but just to teach a random kid in the Hecht a new skill and keep him company.

He won two straight national titles as a college football OL coach. And that was after he built our best lines in almost two decades, filled with future NFL players.

BAMA FANS LOOKED AT MARIO CRISTOBAL AS A DOWN GRADE TO HIM

Advertisement

In the real world..we all know All Pro Lesean McCoy running for 1600 yards & the addition of LT jason peters is a major factor in why Kelce made his first pro bowl.

You overrate Stoutlands time here…the numbers prove so.

I am shocked someone considers stoutland not elite. Dude coached with an inhuman amount of heart blockage, coached and lived

In the real world..we all know All Pro Lesean McCoy running for 1600 yards & the addition of LT jason peters is a major factor in why Kelce made his first pro bowl.

this cat has been posting clown takes like this for 10+ years, glad to see he hasn't lost his touch

I'd like to see McCoy do that behind a poor Oline, like what the Dolphins currently have.

Stoutland is legit and Kelce has been a really good player for the Eagles. Some of his best years were after McCoy was in Buffalo. I'm forced to watch more of the Eagles than i would like bc of my location. Peters was great but he had zero impact on Kelce inside.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Our offensive line is bad. And the class is looking shaky. This got me thinking about Jeff Stoutland. He was our OL coach from 2007 to 2010. While at Miami, Stoutland signed five linemen who went on to start games in the NFL. For comparison, Alabama only signed four during the same time period.

Stoutland is now the OL coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, and is considered one of the best in the NFL. I studied his evaluation patterns and learned a couple important things:

City over country: Canes fans love to say that “we need country kids and Midwestern farm boys on the offensive line.” This is wrong. Those kids don’t usually like the city of Miami. It’s not a cultural fit. Stoutland recognized this and focused on city kids. He signed good players from places like Memphis, Omaha and St. Paul. None of the kids he signed were from rural areas.

Build a wall around South Florida: Another myth is that we should not recruit South Florida OL. If you look at the guys who have started for us and gone on to the NFL in this decade, they are usually from South Florida. The busts (Wells, Milo, Gadbois, Dykstra) came from out of state. It is better to get the cream of the crop locally than out-of-state leftovers who are not as easy to evaluate. Stoutland signed 64% of his OL from South Florida.

Culture matters: Stoutland was known as a good recruiter who connected with players. He was also from New York City, which fits in well with the two points above. Searels is a hard-*** country boy from Trion, Georgia. I’ve heard he’s a good guy, but I’ve also heard he has trouble connecting with players. We need a great teacher first and foremost, but it also makes sense to find someone who can connect with city kids.

Stoutland's signees (2007-2010):

Brandon Linder (Broward)
Orlando Franklin (Palm Beach)
Jon Feliciano (Broward)
Seantrel Henderson (St. Paul, MN)
Harland Gunn (Omaha, NE)
Tyler Horn (Memphis, TN)
Brandon Washington (Miami)
Shane McDermott (Palm Beach)
Ben Jones (Miami)
Jermaine Johnson (Broward)
Jared Wheeler (Broward)