Lejond Cavazos

Advertisement
Whoever gets him will have to fight to keep him until the end. This kid doesn’t seem like the type to shut it completely down.

Advertisement
It seems OSU, under Urban, wanted explosive and/or twitchy guys. The athletes they've been running out in the secondary and at WR, with some RB and DE mixed in, are exactly that.

That model is what Miami was built on. Coker fell victim to rankings. Golden to some BS Big 10 model, Richt to, well I'm not really sure. But I think (hope) Manny gets us back to the roots.
Lol don’t all teams want explosive guys ?

It makes absolutely no sense for him to decommit from OSU in Dec, and then recommit to them 4 months later. I seriously doubt he is this confused about which school he should play for & attend. In addition his father having a relationship with our HC definitely gives us an advantage.
A coaching change will have you second guessing your commitment. We have kids committed right now that did the same thing after Diaz left for those two days.

Advertisement
It makes absolutely no sense for him to decommit from OSU in Dec, and then recommit to them 4 months later. I seriously doubt he is this confused about which school he should play for & attend. In addition his father having a relationship with our HC definitely gives us an advantage.

you must be new to this recruiting game...

I really don't give a *****! Of those schools listed this cat knows where he's going. Why all the BS Lists? Got **** I wish there was no "social media"!

There’s no such thing as a “must get”. It’s one of the stupidest things people say. So if we don’t get him what happens - does the program collapse into a black hole of oblivion because one guy who is a “must get” wasn’t gotten? If the school finishes in the top five recruiting rankings or even number one overall but miss on one or two “must gets “ does that mean they failed?

100% disagree.

This mentality is why - through four coaches and counting - we are middle of the road ACC bums. We lack the elite athletes (which Cavazos is), we lack elite recruits (four star before his showing in the Opening -- he's doing nothing but going up), we lack the ability to establish this state (locally and throughout the rest of the state) as ours even when FSU and UF are down.

If Miami is going to be Miami again...it needs to get the elite athletes, it needs to get the elite recruits, and it needs to get the elite athletes and elite recruits from in-state. If you check any of those boxes, you are MUST GET if you want to be a nationally relevant team moving forward.

FWIW - Which of those teams in Cavazos' Top 6 schools would Miami beat, right now, at football. idk if they'd beat any of those teams...why? They don't have enough guys like Cavazos.

He is not a "must get" as he is raw as ****. We have like 4 guys higher than him on the board right now. He is super athletic yet he has awful technique. He is a guy that gets burned off the line of scrimmage but then recovers because he is so much faster than kids at the highschool level. He is a kid that needs to be developped and "must gets" are kids that are almost for sure going to be successful. Cavazos is like a glorified and bigger Nigel Bethel.

Technique can be taught...isn't that Rumph's calling card? Elite athletes are must get...they are difference makers. Look at this year's NFL Draft...look at the top athletes...especially at DB...they are all starters and difference makers on their teams. Sure, they are varying degrees of prospects...but those elite athletes at DB were all multi-year starters for their teams. Cavazos is going to be that for one of those teams he has in that Top 6. Thats a must get in any class.

As for his tape...he's much better than Nigel Bethel.

Advertisement
Willie Williams was a must get also.

I'd take Willie Williams 10 out of 10 times.

We aren't playing hindsight here. Top athletes. Top football players. They are must get. If you miss on some...its ok...it happens. Doesn't change the end result. Saban doesn't care if Alonzo Lawrence is a bust because he has recruited 3 other top athletes, top football players in the same recruiting cycle. Urban Meyer doesn't care if Johnnie Dixon ends up just 'ok'...he's recruited Paris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Victor, etc.

Stack chips.

You've been around long enough...Miami's mindset of "we'll just get the next one" is why we are here today. No one is priority, no one is must get, no one is given priority attention. So, we miss out on the top guys, we miss out on the second tier talents, and we ended up with having to recruit New York, New Jersey, and other places late in the process to fill out a class. The mindset has been all wrong and we are seeing that permeate fans here.

He is not a "must get" as he is raw as ****. We have like 4 guys higher than him on the board right now. He is super athletic yet he has awful technique. He is a guy that gets burned off the line of scrimmage but then recovers because he is so much faster than kids at the highschool level. He is a kid that needs to be developped and "must gets" are kids that are almost for sure going to be successful. Cavazos is like a glorified and bigger Nigel Bethel.

You are guessing on "our board"...So don't make it like your word is bible, and yes he's raw, but all indications are UM would take him right now as they should.

There is so much wrong with your statement above I don't know where to start.

Advertisement
100% disagree.

This mentality is why - through four coaches and counting - we are middle of the road ACC bums. We lack the elite athletes (which Cavazos is), we lack elite recruits (four star before his showing in the Opening -- he's doing nothing but going up), we lack the ability to establish this state (locally and throughout the rest of the state) as ours even when FSU and UF are down.

If Miami is going to be Miami again...it needs to get the elite athletes, it needs to get the elite recruits, and it needs to get the elite athletes and elite recruits from in-state. If you check any of those boxes, you are MUST GET if you want to be a nationally relevant team moving forward.

FWIW - Which of those teams in Cavazos' Top 6 schools would Miami beat, right now, at football. idk if they'd beat any of those teams...why? They don't have enough guys like Cavazos.

I agree with stacking chips. I agree that Miami needs to get the elite South Florida guys committed in order to compete for championships again.

But as far as being a middling ACC team for most of the last decade, I think that's more a question of our inability to scheme and develop talent over that time period. We have had more than enough talent on this roster to only get to the ACCCG more than once in our history.

I'd take Willie Williams 10 out of 10 times.

We aren't playing hindsight here. Top athletes. Top football players. They are must get. If you miss on some...its ok...it happens. Doesn't change the end result. Saban doesn't care if Alonzo Lawrence is a bust because he has recruited 3 other top athletes, top football players in the same recruiting cycle. Urban Meyer doesn't care if Johnnie Dixon ends up just 'ok'...he's recruited Paris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Victor, etc.

Stack chips.

You've been around long enough...Miami's mindset of "we'll just get the next one" is why we are here today. No one is priority, no one is must get, no one is given priority attention. So, we miss out on the top guys, we miss out on the second tier talents, and we ended up with having to recruit New York, New Jersey, and other places late in the process to fill out a class. The mindset has been all wrong and we are seeing that permeate fans here.
‘Must get’ applied to individuals is hyperventilation. The important issue is we need overall urgency and execution on getting the best guys, not more excuses for why it doesn’t matter that we didn’t. I have consistently said we need to keep most of the best local guys home, and if we do, we’ll be fine. I acknowledge there will always be some who get away. And yet if we keep most of them home, it won’t matter that Derrick Thomas or Marvin Jones gets away. (We did fine in the ‘80s.) So again, not sure anyone is a ‘must get,’ but once in a while, a kid appears that way because they seem like a referendum on our relevance as a program. Willie Williams seemed like that at the time. A legacy bailing on us can be a harbinger also, or seem like one. Quincy Wilson may be an example of that.

‘Must get’ applied to individuals is hyperventilation. The important issue is we need overall urgency and execution on getting the best guys, not more excuses for why it doesn’t matter that we didn’t. I have consistently said we need to keep most of the best local guys home, and if we do, we’ll be fine. I acknowledge there will always be some who get away. And yet if we keep most of them home, it won’t matter that Derrick Thomas or Marvin Jones gets away. (We did fine in the ‘80s.) So again, not sure anyone is a ‘must get,’ but once in a while, a kid appears that way because they seem like a referendum on our relevance as a program. Willie Williams seemed like that at the time. A legacy bailing on us can be a harbinger also, or seem like one. Quincy Wilson may be an example of that.

I remember feeling that way c/o 2012 when we signed Duke Johnson, Tracy Howard, Ereck Flowers, and Deon Bush. I thought it was a great sign for positive change to come. Sadly, it was not. I was definitely a prisoner of the moment on that one.

These days, I do not believe any recruit is a "must get" just like I don't believe any recruit is a "lay up" or a "can't miss". I am much more of the opinion that a handful of recruits and their collective ranking, while important, is no more important than quality coaching, evaluating and developing talent, and showing some flexibility in offensive and defensive philosophies to maximize talent and create mismatches. I am also of the belief that, absent an influx of bags, for UM to consistently recruit at a top 8 level we will need to demonstrate an ability to coach, develop, and maximize talent, and generate success on the field while we do it.

Just spoke with someone that told me that schools are pushing kids for their commitment before the season starts if they’re seriously considering Miami.
They Said that some coaches are (in her words) “scared” of Manny as opposed to concerned about CMR.
My CIS contribution to fake insider info.
This is a family who says their son’s teammate is being recruited by US. Take it for what it’s worth. Just passing it along and seeing if anyone has heard similar. And no it’s not Cavazos cause I asked.

Advertisement
Back