Lejond Cavazos

I remember feeling that way c/o 2012 when we signed Duke Johnson, Tracy Howard, Ereck Flowers, and Deon Bush. I thought it was a great sign for positive change to come. Sadly, it was not. I was definitely a prisoner of the moment on that one.

These days, I do not believe any recruit is a "must get" just like I don't believe any recruit is a "lay up" or a "can't miss". I am much more of the opinion that a handful of recruits and their collective ranking, while important, is no more important than quality coaching, evaluating and developing talent, and showing some flexibility in offensive and defensive philosophies to maximize talent and create mismatches. I am also of the belief that, absent an influx of bags, for UM to consistently recruit at a top 8 level we will need to demonstrate an ability to coach, develop, and maximize talent, and generate success on the field while we do it.
No one has said recruits are more important than coaching. At the same time, roster talent is not less important, either. They both matter. At least if you want to compete at the highest level. Most coaches would tell you it’s more about the Jimmys and Joes than X’s and O’s. We’ve just had such awful corching for so long, we’ve convinced ourselves that it’s all about the X’s and O’s. But it’s all about both, in balance, is the truth.

Advertisement
Just spoke with someone that told me that schools are pushing kids for their commitment before the season starts if they’re seriously considering Miami.
They Said that some coaches are (in her words) “scared” of Manny as opposed to concerned about CMR.
My CIS contribution to fake insider info.
This is a family who says their son’s teammate is being recruited by US. Take it for what it’s worth. Just passing it along and seeing if anyone has heard similar. And no it’s not Cavazos cause I asked.

Interesting if what she said is true. That coaches from other schools are worried Manny might open the South Florida floodgates if Miami starts winning this season. I too am of the mindset that if we can get past Floriduh and also beat FSU, at Doak no less, that kids will be flocking to us wanting to become a part of TNM. That would show them that the slogan is much more than just a saying, that it’s tangible results happening on the field as well. New attitude. New energy and focus. New results. Those are some of the things kids gravitate towards when deciding a school. I strongly feel Manolo is going to make some serious noise this year, not only with what he’s brought already (Portal, TNM, etc.), but with wins on the field as well. We have the luxury of surprising most of the college football landscape with no one truly knowing what our offense will look like come 8/24. It’s imperative we take advantage of that lack of knowledge and produce on the gridiron. We do that, the elite kids will come.

‘Must get’ applied to individuals is hyperventilation. The important issue is we need overall urgency and execution on getting the best guys, not more excuses for why it doesn’t matter that we didn’t. I have consistently said we need to keep most of the best local guys home, and if we do, we’ll be fine. I acknowledge there will always be some who get away. And yet if we keep most of them home, it won’t matter that Derrick Thomas or Marvin Jones gets away. (We did fine in the ‘80s.) So again, not sure anyone is a ‘must get,’ but once in a while, a kid appears that way because they seem like a referendum on our relevance as a program. Willie Williams seemed like that at the time. A legacy bailing on us can be a harbinger also, or seem like one. Quincy Wilson may be an example of that.

"must get" is more of a macro concept. Analyzing it on an individual level - sure...perhaps hyperventilation...but far too often, this fan base and those making decisions inside of the program, do not work with the urgency on an individual level and it become a microcosm of the major issue our program has developed since Butch Davis...we just don't get the best guys...I find it very frustrating when we don't make it a priority to get "must get" individuals because its often a symptom of a much larger condition.

Example, this thread right here. This guy is a monster athlete. Not a finished product, but a monster athlete getting recruited by some of the best programs in the country and this guys position group...if Ohio State and LSU are recruiting a DB...I better be in on him, too. UF and Georgia? Also DB factories. How Cavazos isn't a priority player for some members here or would be a "well, lets hold off" type blows my mind. Does not compute.

A coaching change will have you second guessing your commitment. We have kids committed right now that did the same thing after Diaz left for those two days.

The difference is he de-committed from OSU on the same day that Ryan Day was named coach. In the case of MIA we had de-commitments after Manny was hired @ TU. At that pt no one really knew which direction the program was going, and whether or not Richt would step down. Thats a fundamental difference between both situations. Regardless..I was unaware that he recently visited OSU and was speaking glowingly about his visit on social media. If that never happened..I would definitely say we would be the favorites to land him, even if he never visited us again unofficially or officially.

Let’s not
The difference is he de-committed from OSU on the same day that Ryan Day was named coach. In the case of MIA we had de-commitments after Manny was hired @ TU. At that pt no one really knew which direction the program was going, and whether or not Richt would step down. Thats a fundamental difference between both situations. Regardless..I was unaware that he recently visited OSU and was speaking glowingly about his visit on social media. If that never happened..I would definitely say we would be the favorites to land him, even if he never visited us again unofficially or officially.

He AND his father were at OSU for a weekend..

Advertisement
100% disagree.

This mentality is why - through four coaches and counting - we are middle of the road ACC bums. We lack the elite athletes (which Cavazos is), we lack elite recruits (four star before his showing in the Opening -- he's doing nothing but going up), we lack the ability to establish this state (locally and throughout the rest of the state) as ours even when FSU and UF are down.

If Miami is going to be Miami again...it needs to get the elite athletes, it needs to get the elite recruits, and it needs to get the elite athletes and elite recruits from in-state. If you check any of those boxes, you are MUST GET if you want to be a nationally relevant team moving forward.

FWIW - Which of those teams in Cavazos' Top 6 schools would Miami beat, right now, at football. idk if they'd beat any of those teams...why? They don't have enough guys like Cavazos.

Fair enough. But we won't truly know until we have competent coaching in all 3 phases of the game. Think about this for a second. Worst coached defense in the Power 5 under Golden. Worst coached offense and second worst statistically last year under Richt. Our punting was pathetic. Kick and punt coverage was awful. There was 11 win talent on that roster last year that was coached to 7 wins.

Cavazos is a must get.
And so is like 2 or 3 other kids at db that are elite.
All elite recruits are must gets. While we tried to land Neal as a must get, bama had 2 other high 4 star recruits at tackle committed and almost got Wright as well.
Oliver was at Houston all by himself and still going in the first round but that school didn’t do sht with or or without denofrio.
So no one kid isn’t a must get but if your get 3 of them at a position your thin at then he’s an absolute must get.
We say “ I’ll be happy with these 2 guys if we can also get this elite guy here”
That won’t cut it at all. You need studs everywhere and on the bench. So to start off Cavazos is anbsolute must get but we can’t stop there or be content with just him and 3 dudes that no one is after and say “ yeah we good a db now”. Really?
Would bama be good with that?
Start thinking and recruiting like a championship caliber team and not like the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Could Lejond Cavazos be the reason for Ladarius Tennison's decommitment?

Signed,

Peruche

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back