Legend Showcase Recruits UM Thoughts

some recruits brought up the Hurricanes when asked about leaders, but for the most part it seemed like Manny Diaz's program was almost an afterthought as top kids consistently brought up schools like Florida, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M and even Nebraska. We asked Armwood three-star athlete Charles Montgomery why he was feeling the Cornhuskers and he said it was pretty simple. "They play true freshmen," Mongtomory explained before adding that he hears from multiple coaches on Scott Frost's staff "everyday."

Kamren Kinchens, who had a pick six on Saturday, said a few months ago that Miami and LSU were basically his co-leaders. Now? "It's more of a mix," Kinchens

Corey Collier He however didn't bring up the local school on his own instead stating that he plans to visit Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU and Florida at some point over the next few months. Miami is also targeting Colliers' teammates at Miami Palmetto, three-star all-purpose back Brashard Smith. He too isn't exactly high on the Hurricanes as he mentioned Florida, Alabama and LSU when asked which schools are standing out at the moment. Miami Northwestern five-star linebacker Terrence Lewis on the other hand admitted that UM has plenty of work to do.

Marcus Tate-"I really cut it down to them and Miami," Tate explained. "I took a visit to Miami [the last week of July] and I wasn't really feeling them anymore. I mean I liked them, but not as much as Clemson ... I mean Clemson was just recruiting me a little bit better from the time they could start talking to me and I could just see the player development there."
HEY YOU WATCH IT! Dont be bringing reality here like that **** u. Dont you know kids love playing for this staff and we develop all these late round project picks like the early day 1 picks they should all easily be. Theres alot that goes into developing south floriduh left overs at this rate. You all get mad when the south florida divas as yall call them go elsewhere. Now they show you in their own words issues they have and 98% of yall will simply dismiss that as they just wanna have an excuse to chase bags...

Advertisement
I’m focused on the main thing. I don’t know much about our recruiting infrastructure and you know less. So I don’t speculate.

Here’s what I do know: we’re losing kids because we have a terrible on-field product. When the on-field product improved, recruiting improved. That’s the main thing.

You mentioned “staying on kids.” We have some overly passive recruiters like Rumph and Stubblefield. That’s a problem. We also have some dogged recruiters like Banda. He was all over Tyrique to the point of overkill. At the end, Tyrique wanted to play on a good team. Same thing with Dugans and Haselwood. Nobody recruited him harder. But he saw the Duke game and it was over.

Kids see us as a 6-6 program because that’s what we are right now. Manny can’t sell hope because he sold himself as the “win-now” option. If things don’t turn around drastically on the field, the ‘21 class will be ugly and another nail in Manny’s coffin.
It's a middle ground there though between the passive recruiters and the dogged ones like you call them. Its production. Its development. Its scheme. Its personality. You gotta be able to check off atleast a few of those boxes. Ephraim for instance stays on alot of these kids. But he wants to be there best friends. He forgets just like the rest of this staff if you focus on the same blueprint yearly for where you go and what you go after than alot of these kids will naturally know each other. They talk about what's really going on. That's not getting better anytime soon if we got all these issues running rampant.

Why even ask a Armwood kid about us? Like he would ever come to Miami, even if we we're good, that school is about their bag

We have NEVER gotten a kid from there i could care less about kids coming out of Armwood really.

We will be ok...other than Lewis and Kitchens we wouldnt have a shot at most of those kids listed REGARDLESS OF OUR RECORD.

Tate is Signed , sealed , and delivered to Clemson.

I'll head back up to Duval to supplement some talent again this class honestly.

We wont have trouble signing RB'S HERE...locally i would target Popo (Franklin), Geter at Carol City, and Daniels from Central...we'll be able to land 1 of them. That's just my early thoughts until some more guys pop up. around spring eval period.

It's a middle ground there though between the passive recruiters and the dogged ones like you call them. Its production. Its development. Its scheme. Its personality. You gotta be able to check off atleast a few of those boxes. Ephraim for instance stays on alot of these kids. But he wants to be there best friends. He forgets just like the rest of this staff if you focus on the same blueprint yearly for where you go and what you go after than alot of these kids will naturally know each other. They talk about what's really going on. That's not getting better anytime soon if we got all these issues running rampant.

Coaches need to learn how to read people/kids. They need to understand what makes kids tick and then use that. It's management 101 and stands true for any job out there!

Some love the attention....so give it to them. Some hate it and just want you to check in once in a while and talk life, not ball. Do it. It seems just like our OC is too **** stubborn to change what he does, just as our D coaches do with OVER blitzing and line stunts, our recruiters are the same. Rumph doesn't do anything but be passive/honest Rumph. Panda doesn't do anything but hound kids like a crazy fun uncle trying to be their BFF. When i learn what Patke does, i'll have an opinion. I could go on, but i won't.

Yes, we need to develop kids. Problem is we don't have the staff to do it. We have inexperienced guys who belong at a lower program. When you aren't known for being the best at that you better be great at something else. You better recruit your @sses off and leave no stone unturned. You better burn the midnight oil breaking down game tape and looking for tendencies. You better be putting the time in to go to clinics, visit other coaches, etc to get better.

The solution to our problems isn't as difficult as people make it out to be...

First, the people in charge at the top have to decide to stop being cheap ******** & do two things, 1) allocate more funds to the Football program (double the recruiting budget) & 2) Spend money on actual coaches & assistants.

Second, find a coach that isn't a complete ****tard that will run a modern uptempo Spread offense, that can also develop talent & it will result in Wins on the field.

All it will take is back to back 10+ wins seasons with trips to the ACCCG & we'll suddenly become a more viable option for high level recruits.

The problem we have is that our admin hates doing work because they don't give AF about football, so they don't spend the money necessary to compete, which leads to cheap coaching hires, which leads to bad losses on the field, which results in poor recruiting.

It's not a one or the other, it all works in concrugency, once the people in charge decide to care about football & the money gets spent, we'll get a better staff who will lead us to more wins, which will get us better recruits.

It's only a death struggle for us because Miami is cheap AF, but the reality is its probably not going to happen until the people in charge literally die off, because otherwise Miami is nothing more to them than just a tax write off while fleecing the program for millions in a legal Ponzi scheme. Contrary to popular belief the brand of "The U" is still a cash cow, obviously not in the same way that programs like Texas, TAMU, Clemson, LSU etc are, but we're not dirt poor like we're New Mexico or some sh*t.

That's the biggest roadblock we face right now, cheap laissez-faire politically correct crooks who plague the administration & hate Football.

Advertisement
The staff is whack. That’s all. Richt gave us an out. Ad hired a super fan who ran an all blitz gimmicky madden defense. A lot of real ballers don’t want to play for this guy. We have to wait at least another year and do it again. In the meantime fans will bash Mario who won pac 12 wifh a bunch of injuries and for two 4 star and two 5 star recruits. Meanwhile our coach has kids posing like it’s a 1980s break dance concert becaus he’s living our his youth fanatasies of playing for UM

We have NEVER gotten a kid from there i could care less about kids coming out of Armwood really.

We will be ok...other than Lewis and Kitchens we wouldnt have a shot at most of those kids listed REGARDLESS OF OUR RECORD.

Tate is Signed , sealed , and delivered to Clemson.

I'll head back up to Duval to supplement some talent again this class honestly.

We wont have trouble signing RB'S HERE...locally i would target Popo (Franklin), Geter at Carol City, and Daniels from Central...we'll be able to land 1 of them. That's just my early thoughts until some more guys pop up. around spring eval period.
And who do you feel on this staff with these results will get the time of day in Duvall? I'll say this about cmr, regardless of yalls opinion(not saying if u share it or not)cmr was slowly making us nationally relevant again to kids. Alot of kids I come across these last 5 or so years when you speak um football with them they laugh about us. They see us like a third tier program basically. Not even on the cusp of being relevant. Alot of them know nothing about our past. They dont know who such and such from the 80s,90s,00s etc even played for. They know the name but not much about them as players etc. When you're going 6-6 7-5 anything even close how do you think any kid who has real options outside of the south floriduh area will view us. It's what these geniuses dont bother to consider when they annually ignore options from around the rest of the country. If that's the choice u love and die with it cause than there is no connection nationally for these kids to grasp at. Who on this staph you feel can walk into a random kids living room nationally and not only get the kids actual interest but the trust of his family as well.........

And who do you feel on this staff with these results will get the time of day in Duvall? I'll say this about cmr, regardless of yalls opinion(not saying if u share it or not)cmr was slowly making us nationally relevant again to kids. Alot of kids I come across these last 5 or so years when you speak um football with them they laugh about us. They see us like a third tier program basically. Not even on the cusp of being relevant. Alot of them know nothing about our past. They dont know who such and such from the 80s,90s,00s etc even played for. They know the name but not much about them as players etc. When you're going 6-6 7-5 anything even close how do you think any kid who has real options outside of the south floriduh area will view us. It's what these geniuses dont bother to consider when they annually ignore options from around the rest of the country. If that's the choice u love and die with it cause than there is no connection nationally for these kids to grasp at. Who on this staph you feel can walk into a random kids living room nationally and not only get the kids actual interest but the trust of his family as well.........

If nothing else Mark Richt had name recognition and respect. He should have been ok with coming in and just being a CEO like Herm Edwards. Lead this program forward, recruit, talk on TV and hold your staff accountable. You want Manny at D, fine. But hire a legit OC and stop with the "Friends Club". That would have been perfect.

Coaches need to learn how to read people/kids. They need to understand what makes kids tick and then use that. It's management 101 and stands true for any job out there!

Some love the attention....so give it to them. Some hate it and just want you to check in once in a while and talk life, not ball. Do it. It seems just like our OC is too **** stubborn to change what he does, just as our D coaches do with OVER blitzing and line stunts, our recruiters are the same. Rumph doesn't do anything but be passive/honest Rumph. Panda doesn't do anything but hound kids like a crazy fun uncle trying to be their BFF. When i learn what Patke does, i'll have an opinion. I could go on, but i won't.

Yes, we need to develop kids. Problem is we don't have the staff to do it. We have inexperienced guys who belong at a lower program. When you aren't known for being the best at that you better be great at something else. You better recruit your @sses off and leave no stone unturned. You better burn the midnight oil breaking down game tape and looking for tendencies. You better be putting the time in to go to clinics, visit other coaches, etc to get better.
Therein lies the problem. Same as you say coaches gotta recognize those tendencies you guys as fans gotta recognize what you have in ur coaches...

Advertisement
If nothing else Mark Richt had name recognition and respect. He should have been ok with coming in and just being a CEO like Herm Edwards. Lead this program forward, recruit, talk on TV and hold your staff accountable. You want Manny at D, fine. But hire a legit OC and stop with the "Friends Club". That would have been perfect.

Yep. Richt suffered the same fate as Bowden and Paterno. Once your son has a key role, it’s trouble.

It’s a shame because he was the only good coach we’ve had in 15 years. He showed what basic competence can accomplish in a short time frame.

I’m focused on the main thing. I don’t know much about our recruiting infrastructure and you know less. So I don’t speculate.

Here’s what I do know: we’re losing kids because we have a terrible on-field product. When the on-field product improved, recruiting improved. That’s the main thing.

You mentioned “staying on kids.” We have some overly passive recruiters like Rumph and Stubblefield. That’s a problem. We also have some dogged recruiters like Banda. He was all over Tyrique to the point of overkill. At the end, Tyrique wanted to play on a good team. Same thing with Dugans and Haselwood. Nobody recruited him harder. But he saw the Duke game and it was over.

Kids see us as a 6-6 program because that’s what we are right now. Manny can’t sell hope because he sold himself as the “win-now” option. If things don’t turn around drastically on the field, the ‘21 class will be ugly and another nail in Manny’s coffin.
If your point is you don't wonder about what you don't know for sure, then I'm not sure why you bother talk about what's wrong.

It's pretty **** obvious that we're doing it wrong. We've failed, like you mention, with 5 coaches sequentially over almost 2 decades.

You don't have to pile too many inferences on top of each other to read the tea leaves here. We have lesser resources, less experienced coaches, more coaching turnover, an AD that is run by someone who's calling card is doesn't know football, our recruiting base is picked over by the top resource schools in the country, social media and texting and all that stuff is first semester business these days, etc. If you want to ignore all that and just keep trying to pick the 'main thing,' then you're going to continuously be surprised when your 'main thing' doesn't translate sufficiently.

As for your passive vs. active recruiters, yes, that's part of it. But it ain't all of it. You need to think about INFRASTRUCTURE. Regular text check ins should be the stuff of staff and resources. If one assistant not doing his job tanks the team, then we don't just have a bad assistant, we have a bad infrastructure. If our infrastructure isn't effectively coordinating, supporting and monitoring recruiting efforts as effectively as our competitors do, then we have a deficiency of infrastructure.

And I disagree entirely with the Manny can't sell hope. Plenty of new coaches figure out how to sell hope. Frost just did at NB after a bad first year. Manny couldn't in his honeymoon class? Manny just isn't good at recruiting, period. Never has been, imo. Don't know why. It's him. I tried to describe before this year started how a plan and process and infrastructure could cover for his lack of 'sales' skills. But they didn't have a thoughtful plan, process or infrastructure, from the looks of it. Nor sales skills.

I don't agree that we can't recruit because we don't win, though it plays in. The point is there are aspects of recruiting that we are doing WRONG, and they add up and matter. We're here talking about support. I'd also point to evaluations and back up plans. It's multiple things.

Yep. Richt suffered the same fate as Bowden and Paterno. Once your son has a key role, it’s trouble.

It’s a shame because he was the only good coach we’ve had in 15 years. He showed what basic competence can accomplish in a short time frame.
This is true. While he had big deficiencies and wasn't going to win big here, he was a competent coach and he did prove that competent coaching matters here and can bend the curve relatively fast. That's one more reason to fire manure pronto. Because he's clearly not competent.

I agree 100%. That was the problem we created when we chose to hire cmr. He felt he had to prove uga wrong and as a result he wanted to manage everything on his terms. He wanted to provide job security for lil Johnny and he wanted to prove the game didnt pass him by. We make him hire a legit oc and let them coach from day 1 and pick his staff wed be gucci. Only other issue was his health and nepotism.

Advertisement
I really think it's more.

We had 8 kids in the portal this year. We had Pope looking. We had Lingard in a social media disagreement with staff about his health. We had mentions of cancers by Thomas Brown when Richt was here and Manny mentioning guys not playing hard....even to the point of stopping practice. We had some skip practice. We've heard former players talk about kids clowning in practice. We have multiple kids not playing in the bowl game. We have 4 kids leaving early who are most likely Day 3 picks or worse. We have recruits flying hours into the midwest to attend Nebraska over UM.....Nebraska doesn't have wins either. We have more de-commits than any school in history. Our biggest advocate is a kid from Georgia. We lost to FIU and showed zero pride after.

Do you really believe it's just wins and losses?
You have seen the light PSU welcome aboard

Advertisement
If your point is you don't wonder about what you don't know for sure, then I'm not sure why you bother talk about what's wrong.

It's pretty **** obvious that we're doing it wrong. We've failed, like you mention, with 5 coaches sequentially over almost 2 decades.

You don't have to pile too many inferences on top of each other to read the tea leaves here. We have lesser resources, less experienced coaches, more coaching turnover, an AD that is run by someone who's calling card is doesn't know football, our recruiting base is picked over by the top resource schools in the country, social media and texting and all that stuff is first semester business these days, etc. If you want to ignore all that and just keep trying to pick the 'main thing,' then you're going to continuously be surprised when your 'main thing' doesn't translate sufficiently.

As for your passive vs. active recruiters, yes, that's part of it. But it ain't all of it. You need to think about INFRASTRUCTURE. Regular text check ins should be the stuff of staff and resources. If one assistant not doing his job tanks the team, then we don't just have a bad assistant, we have a bad infrastructure. If our infrastructure isn't effectively coordinating, supporting and monitoring recruiting efforts as effectively as our competitors do, then we have a deficiency of infrastructure.

And I disagree entirely with the Manny can't sell hope. Plenty of new coaches figure out how to sell hope. Frost just did at NB after a bad first year. Manny couldn't in his honeymoon class? Manny just isn't good at recruiting, period. Never has been, imo. Don't know why. It's him. I tried to describe before this year started how a plan and process and infrastructure could cover for his lack of 'sales' skills. But they didn't have a thoughtful plan, process or infrastructure, from the looks of it. Nor sales skills.

I don't agree that we can't recruit because we don't win, though it plays in. The point is there are aspects of recruiting that we are doing WRONG, and they add up and matter. We're here talking about support. I'd also point to evaluations and back up plans. It's multiple things.
Nah. The reason he cant sell hope because because he hyped and sold himself as a constant. He was considered a quick fix and a way to bridge the gap between both staphs. Board viewed last staff problem as richt and son were clueless on offense. Defense was top tier. He stayed with the promise that the defense would remain elite and he'd bring in an oc to IMMEDIATELY get results out of a very talented group on offense. Some of yall believe the offense isnt loaded with talent. Personally I dont feel like arguing so I'll simply say god bless them. In the eyes of the board and most (myself included)this team should've easily been good enough to get to the acccg. Anyone with football knowledge knew line play would make or break the season. That's part of his promise is the line play would improve enough to see results. Well as I been stated it didnt. The team regressed in most capacities significantly. That falls on him directly and it's why he can tell hype. He didnt get a job that he needs to sell to everyone were gonna get better from a-z. He got a job that needed the I dotted and the t crossed. He blatantly blew that. Yall keep believing this dumb **** about tnm and changing the culture,eliminating the poison,etc. Meanwhile everything this man does he learned from his father. It's all about distractions rather than substance. From the chains,to the rings,the dancing,social media and hash tags,crashing media events etc. You can have all that dumb ****. Only ring I ever wanted has diamonds in it and says what year we won the natty in. This man isnt changing the culture here. Hes nationally turning us into a laughing stock.

This is true. While he had big deficiencies and wasn't going to win big here, he was a competent coach and he did prove that competent coaching matters here and can bend the curve relatively fast. That's one more reason to fire manure pronto. Because he's clearly not competent.

Agree with both of you. Richt won 10 games and went to a NY6 bowl with Rosier at QB and his son on the staff. Just think about that for a second. That is a pretty solid coaching job. Mostly just needed a few adjustments to the staff, including an OC and moving his son into an analyst position. People were so eager to run him off, but trading him for Diaz was a major downgrade.

The solution to our problems isn't as difficult as people make it out to be...

First, the people in charge at the top have to decide to stop being cheap ******** & do two things, 1) allocate more funds to the Football program (double the recruiting budget) & 2) Spend money on actual coaches & assistants.

Second, find a coach that isn't a complete ****tard that will run a modern uptempo Spread offense, that can also develop talent & it will result in Wins on the field.

All it will take is back to back 10+ wins seasons with trips to the ACCCG & we'll suddenly become a more viable option for high level recruits.

The problem we have is that our admin hates doing work because they don't give AF about football, so they don't spend the money necessary to compete, which leads to cheap coaching hires, which leads to bad losses on the field, which results in poor recruiting.

It's not a one or the other, it all works in concrugency, once the people in charge decide to care about football & the money gets spent, we'll get a better staff who will lead us to more wins, which will get us better recruits.

It's only a death struggle for us because Miami is cheap AF, but the reality is its probably not going to happen until the people in charge literally die off, because otherwise Miami is nothing more to them than just a tax write off while fleecing the program for millions in a legal Ponzi scheme. Contrary to popular belief the brand of "The U" is still a cash cow, obviously not in the same way that programs like Texas, TAMU, Clemson, LSU etc are, but we're not dirt poor like we're New Mexico or some sh*t.

That's the biggest roadblock we face right now, cheap laissez-faire politically correct crooks who plague the administration & hate Football.
U give me hope

But then I read the crooked leaders and snap out of it

I dont know or trust any one on the staff to do what ya say. **** im not BIG on any 1 on this staff. I do know that we are about to put 2 DUVAL kids in the NFL. 2 of them that hold some weight up there...and we went and signed 2 kids from there in this class that i didnt believe we had a shot with...and likely got them because of the ground work placed with Shaq and Pinkney.

Guess what ...go back up there to Shaq's school, Trinity Christian, or Raines and offer their elgible div 1 kids. It aint hard...we have some cache up there currently.

I'm the biggest S.fla guy on the board...but even I know this staff appearance and the programs view currently isnt all that locally....so guess what they have to somehow recruit nationally and find interested kids. Its why i wasnt mad on the NYC group we pulled at ALL, and aint even mad about getting the short LB from Houston as if it gives us an in at a power house program i'm all for it.

I believe Coach Field can do some good work recruiting.

Hickson will do well in Broward.
Both DB coaches are a waste of time in recruiting.
Enos on offense did 1 thing right and thats evaluate his guy at QB and land him.
Butch Barry is all over the place.
I doubt Stubblefield is much of a recruiter but THIS class is pretty good for him with the pulls they have.

If they arent going to make much changes to the on field staff...they need to make changes to the OFF the field staff/analyst group and bring in some REAL guys instead of the current coffee makers and guys that drive around on golf carts living out there graduate assistant dreams.

Advertisement
Back