Latest on McIntosh, Norton, and Jackson

why is Javonte Dean on here? isn't he a one and done? haha just kidding. If we had a couple DT's (including Silvera) this defense will really start having that old school cane depth.

Dean is coming along very nicely. Coaches say he's starting to tackle how they need him to. That was his biggest issue but they see him as a major player next year.

Most athletic DB we have by far. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts next year.

Advertisement
Willis, Norton, Ford, Bethel, Silvera is a great group on paper

yes, but don't you agree that we need to add another stud interior guy in february? silvera can't be the only one.

Of course you want another one ideally, but I don’t see them adding an instant impact DT from now to signing day other than Silvera.

Wimp womp womp! Kool has to do better than 1 elite DT per class.

Setting our expectations pretty high aren't we. There's less then 10 elite DTs in the country each year and you expect to get 2 of them. I think you're throwing around elite too loosely. We would be sitting pretty good if we get 1 elite each year (5*) combined with someone who is merely good/very good (4*) that doesn't have to play as a freshman.

Last edited:
The talk prior to the NFL draft advisory board grades coming back was that the two DTs and Jackson were leaning towards entering the draft early, but it looks like there could be good news coming for Canes.

Sources tell Canesinsight that junior cornerback Michael Jackson will stay for his senior season.

Although R.J. McIntosh said yesterday that the committee advised him to return to school, he is still heavily considering entering the draft. I’m told that McIntosh received his grade from 6 teams — 4 of which had him in the 3rd-4th round range and 2 that had him getting drafted in the 1st-2nd round range. The committee advises any prospect whose grade does not average out to a first or second round pick to return to school, so that is where McIntosh stands.

However, Kendrick Norton, who most inside the program thought was headed to the league, did not receive a grade that he considered satisfactory — the latest talk is that he will return for his senior senior as well.

So to recap, it still appears that McIntosh leaves early, but Norton and Jackson will come back for their senior years.

They all gone for sure..

Advertisement

Willis actually making a contribution in the fall would be a miracle. Without him, this group looks solid but not great! We still need a JUCO DT that can contribute right away. A grad transfer for one year could also help with depth.

We're not getting grad transfer to come here and be a 3rd string DT. Some of you guys just live in a fantasy world

This is good news. They probably could get passed losing Jackson and even McIntosh early but there's nobody currently on the roster to fill Norton's spot.

From what I've been reading, RJ's dad is pretty big on him staying in school. Let's hope he heed's the advice. This defense is going to be even freakier next season.

why is Javonte Dean on here? isn't he a one and done? haha just kidding. If we had a couple DT's (including Silvera) this defense will really start having that old school cane depth.

Dean is coming along very nicely. Coaches say he's starting to tackle how they need him to. That was his biggest issue but they see him as a major player next year.

i was being a clown. I actually think his coverage skills were fine. I hope he can put it together so we can bring the puppies along slowly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Strongly disagree.

Getting a top-rated local DT is nice. But there are far more top-rated DTs around the country.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Miami as a DT school. We have 2 in the HOF and Wilfork will be the third. And Brown may have had a chance to be the fourth. And we've had others who produced well in the pros, too.

Get the job done.

yes, but don't you agree that we need to add another stud interior guy in february? silvera can't be the only one.

Of course you want another one ideally, but I don’t see them adding an instant impact DT from now to signing day other than Silvera.

Wimp womp womp! Kool has to do better than 1 elite DT per class.

Setting our expectations pretty high aren't we. There's less then 10 elite DTs in the country each year and you expect to get 2 of them. I think you're throwing around elite too loosely. We would be sitting pretty good if we get 1 elite each year (5*) combined with someone who is merely good/very good (4*) that didn't have to play as a freshman.

How Solid is Silvera's commitment?

Crickets... Some are sold he is rock solid but him not signing is a RED flag. Slice it anyway you want.

Go listen to pat surtain interview with joe rose today. He said ,”you shouldn’t be up in arms about him not signing early, I think he’s 100 percent committed , he loves the school, a perfect fit and has that hurricane mentality”

Advertisement
Agreed.

All 3 are quality players. Redwine isn't exactly chopped liver. He can play. He's just not Taylor or Reed.

We'll have more DB depth this coming year. But Redwine will definitely be playing a lot.

The 3 weak links on the D that need to be replaced if we are to become dominant...

Redwine
McCloud
Young

What crack are you smoking by saying Young and Redwine...especially Young.

Redwine is a good player. he might not be blazing fast but he is in on a ton of plays making tackles. Young got beat at times last year but he will improve.

Good to hear. I have followed recruiting probably too long to know it aint ever a done deal til the paper is signed. Especially Florida boys!

How Solid is Silvera's commitment?

Crickets... Some are sold he is rock solid but him not signing is a RED flag. Slice it anyway you want.

Go listen to pat surtain interview with joe rose today. He said ,

Advertisement
Back