Latest on McIntosh, Norton, and Jackson

The 3 weak links on the D that need to be replaced if we are to become dominant...

Redwine
McCloud
Young

WanUnhappyImperatorangel-max-1mb.gif

Advertisement
That's a better evaluation than I though RJ was getting. He should go.

Loading up on DL/OL in 2019 is an absolute must.

Strongly disagree.

Getting a top-rated local DT is nice. But there are far more top-rated DTs around the country.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Miami as a DT school. We have 2 in the HOF and Wilfork will be the third. And Brown may have had a chance to be the fourth. And we've had others who produced well in the pros, too.

Get the job done.

yes, but don't you agree that we need to add another stud interior guy in february? silvera can't be the only one.

Of course you want another one ideally, but I don’t see them adding an instant impact DT from now to signing day other than Silvera.

Wimp womp womp! Kool has to do better than 1 elite DT per class.

Setting our expectations pretty high aren't we. There's less then 10 elite DTs in the country each year and you expect to get 2 of them. I think you're throwing around elite too loosely. We would be sitting pretty good if we get 1 elite each year (5*) combined with someone who is merely good/very good (4*) that didn't have to play as a freshman.

DT is the essential position to Hurricane defensive football. DT and QB was the difference between Miami and fsu all those great years(that is why our kickers seldom had to win in the last seconds). We will win or fail depending on our DTs.

If that happens it will give Miami 9 returning starts, 8 returning backups and a sick defensive recruiting class coming in. This D could be scary good.

2018 Defensive Depth Chart

1st Team
WDE Joe Jackson JR
DT Gerald Willis RSR
NT Kendrick Norton SR
SDE Demetrius Jackson RSR
WILL Michael Pinckney JR
MLB Shaq Quarterman JR
SAM Zach McCloud JR
CB Malek Young JR
CB Michael Jackson SR
FS Sheldrick Redwine SR
SS Jaquan Johnson SR

2nd Team
WDE Jonathan Garvin SO
DT Pat Bethel JR
NT Jon Ford SO
SDE DJ Johnson SO
WILL Darrion Owens RSR
MLB Mike Smith RSR
SAM Charles Perry SR
CB Trajan Bandy SO
CB Jhavonte Dean SR
FS Derrick Smith SO
SS Amari Carter SO

3rd Team
WDE Gregory Rousseau FR (EE, so he should be ready to contribute)
DT Tyreic Martin RSO
NT Nesta Silvera FR
SDE Andrew Chatfield FR (Assuming he signs with Miami)
WILL Waynmon Steed RFR
MLB Bradley Jennings SO
SAM De'Andre Wilder SO
CB Al Blades FR
CB D.J Ivey FR (EE, so he should be ready to contribute)
FS Gilbert Frierson FR (EE, so he should be ready to contribute)
SS Gurvan Hall FR (EE, so he should be ready to contribute)

When you factor in the possibility of adding Tyson Campbell & Patrick Surtain to this CB rotation, this could be the deepest defense that Miami has had since the early 2000's.

Advertisement
All 3 would be high draft picks if they left but good to hear 2/3 of the trio are leaning towards coming back. Will be a playoff caliber defense next season.

Sheldrick Redwine is better than several safeties that have started for us in the past. He has all ACC potential. Next year our secondary is going to be one of the best in the country hands down.

Advertisement
Willis, Norton, Ford, Bethel, Silvera is a great group on paper

yes, but don't you agree that we need to add another stud interior guy in february? silvera can't be the only one.

Of course you want another one ideally, but I don’t see them adding an instant impact DT from now to signing day other than Silvera.

This is where the concern is among many here. We are doing a great job recruiting all positions except DT. Silvera is a major plus, but the position grade is a "C" because lack of another DT stud or a big developmental guy.

2018 defense looking like
DE-Joe Jackson/ Jon Garvin
DT-Kendrick Norton/John Ford
DT-Gerald Willis/Pat Bethel
DE-DJax/D.J. Johnson
OLB-Zach McCloud/Charles Perry
MLB-Shaq Quarterman/Bradley Jennings
OLB-Mike Pinckney/Darrion Owens
CB-Malek Young/Trajan Bandy
FS-Jaquan Johnson/Derrick Smith
SS-Sheldridk Redwine/Amari Carter
CB-Michael Jackson/Javhante Dean

Returning 9 starters

with the yung bucks coming in to put some press on some of the veterans! competitions going to be great.

2018 defense looking like
DE-Joe Jackson/ Jon Garvin
DT-Kendrick Norton/John Ford
DT-Gerald Willis/Pat Bethel
DE-DJax/D.J. Johnson
OLB-Zach McCloud/Charles Perry
MLB-Shaq Quarterman/Bradley Jennings
OLB-Mike Pinckney/Darrion Owens
CB-Malek Young/Trajan Bandy
FS-Jaquan Johnson/Derrick Smith
SS-Sheldridk Redwine/Amari Carter
CB-Michael Jackson/Javhante Dean

Returning 9 starters

That's a monster D. But those back up linebackers are a question mark. Need those starters to stay healthy and McCloud to get comfortable in his role. He just doesn't seem to have the athleticism to drop into coverage.

back-up LB's were not a problem this year. We get good qb play we winning it all next year!

Advertisement
A guy like RJ, who can improve his stock so much with an extra year of strength training, natural maturity, and great coaching should never sell himself short by taking the chance of being a 3rd to 5th round pick.

Somebody should sit him down and show him how much more Jonathon Allen made by going back to school.

young man's dad coaches in ft. lauderdale at the high school level...I can't believe they are going to take this and not another year of good strength and quality coaching. Way more exposure as well.

If McCloud doesn’t improve multifold between now and next year Steed is going to eat his lunch. It’s one thing to look the part. You gotta be able to make football plays though.

Nice to seemingly have Norton and Jackson back. McIntosh would be great to have back but what concerns me more is after that. We needed to land another DT besides Nesta and that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Advertisement
Strongly disagree.

Getting a top-rated local DT is nice. But there are far more top-rated DTs around the country.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Miami as a DT school. We have 2 in the HOF and Wilfork will be the third. And Brown may have had a chance to be the fourth. And we've had others who produced well in the pros, too.

Get the job done.

Wimp womp womp! Kool has to do better than 1 elite DT per class.

Setting our expectations pretty high aren't we. There's less then 10 elite DTs in the country each year and you expect to get 2 of them. I think you're throwing around elite too loosely. We would be sitting pretty good if we get 1 elite each year (5*) combined with someone who is merely good/very good (4*) that didn't have to play as a freshman.

Who's talking about a local DT. Nationwide there are not many DTs that are "truly" elite. While they may not be as hard to project on the next level as a QB or OL, even Butch said, because of there scarcity, they were one of the hardest to recruit.

And yes I well aware of our history. Let me remind you that one of our HOFers came in as a TE Russell Maryland wasn't highly regarded. Cortez Kennedy was a JUCO transfer that fell through the cracks. Even in the 70's, while it was a different world, none of the DTs (Reuben Carter, Don Latimer, Eddie Edwards, Don Smith) were recruited by the big guys. In fact our first All American (Al Carapella) was a DT that also overlooked by the major powers. If anything, Miami made their name with DTs by superior talent evaluation and development.

If you really believe there are plenty of "elite" DTs out there nation wide, you are tossing the label too cheaply.

Huge news. D gonna be special next year. People are going to keep ****ting on Kool regardless though because they are worried about Dt depth in 2025 but we're good and will be fine. RJ coming back would be a huge bonus but not gonna hold my breath. Can't wait until next season.

Advertisement
Back