"Lack of depth"

I agree that our opponents have similar or worse depth issues. I just feel like we are still capable of losing a game or 2 and if we do Coach Richt is going to get murdered on here by all the fans listening to the "we don't have a lack of depth" "we better go undefeated" "every team left on our schedule sucks" crowd.

Stop worrying about protecting Rick. He's a grown man making $4M per year. He's going to be fine.

I've said all along we will lose a couple games this year. But it'll have nothing to do with depth unless we get absolutely gutted in the next few weeks.

It's less about protecting Coach Richt and more about not wanting the good vibes surrounding our program to be discontinued because we drop a game that we think we shouldn't have. I don't think we are to the point YET where we can just expect to go 12-0, regardless of who's on the schedule.

So, if you think we are going to lose a couple and it's not because of depth issues then why do you see us losing? I know it's not because you think we are less talented, so what do you think will do us in?

Advertisement

That proves it.

Why don't you post the article where he said he was no longer concerned with WR depth during fall practice? Oh that's right. It doesn't fit the dopey whiny agenda.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but why don't you post it? You have 20,000 post so you have the time to look for it. I don't care about whatever agenda you're talking about.

If we lost a game because of depth that will be the blame, if we lose it for coaching, I will be critical of the staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real "depth" we lost this season, was AQM, Grace, Cager & Bruce.

The fact that losing AQM has had little to no effect our on Pass rush actually shows we have more depth (on the DLine) than most teams in the country.

We're thin at LB & have inexperienced guys behind our Senior Safety's, the CB depth is solid but not great, our starters are good though.

Exactly how many ACC teams has this team played this year? How many ranked opponents have we played? Why is it a "fact" that we have more D-line depth than any other team in the country and why won't playing 3 tr. Fr. LBs be an issue with anyone left on our schedule? 3 games into the season and already we are the next Crimson Tide?

Genius, tell us specifically about our opponents' depth and where specifically its better than ours.

I will tell you after we play them. Genius.

I agree that our opponents have similar or worse depth issues. I just feel like we are still capable of losing a game or 2 and if we do Coach Richt is going to get murdered on here by all the fans listening to the "we don't have a lack of depth" "we better go undefeated" "every team left on our schedule sucks" crowd.

Stop worrying about protecting Rick. He's a grown man making $4M per year. He's going to be fine.

I've said all along we will lose a couple games this year. But it'll have nothing to do with depth unless we get absolutely gutted in the next few weeks.

It's less about protecting Coach Richt and more about not wanting the good vibes surrounding our program to be discontinued because we drop a game that we think we shouldn't have. I don't think we are to the point YET where we can just expect to go 12-0, regardless of who's on the schedule.

So, if you think we are going to lose a couple and it's not because of depth issues then why do you see us losing? I know it's not because you think we are less talented, so what do you think will do us in?

Its football. Football isn't all about talent. Sometimes dudes just dont play well and you lose.

Advertisement
Stop with that bullsh*t argument. Miami is building depth at plenty of spots now that the underclassmen have played in some games. Even the backup linebackers are gaining experience, creating depth. And I love how some of you say we lack depth but don't a **** thing gets mentioned about how fsu looks on defense now that they have injuries over there... But I thought they had superior talent and backups to everyone.... the way some of our fans think is that depth issues and injuries are only exclusive to Miami, they are in every program...
We DO lack depth, and playing freshmen doesn't change the fact that our backups aren't great in a lot of spots. And fsu IS playing 4/5* backups. What their excuse is for sucking I don't know, but it's not lack of talent.

This is one of the most ridiculous premises I've seen If we had depth are three freshmen linebackers would not be starting they would be backing up getting Experience. we would have more than five/seven offensive lineman that we can put into a game with confidence. The term is quality depth not depth for depth itself.

We certainly lack quality depth. That said, most teams other than Bama, OSU, and a few others have this same problem.

OTOH, our front line talent, other than at OL and DB is top-notch.

Advertisement
One of the best ways to see if your team has depth or not is to compare them to the P5 team with the biggest blowout loss of the year.

Good job, Broke.

Stop with that bullsh*t argument. Miami is building depth at plenty of spots now that the underclassmen have played in some games. Even the backup linebackers are gaining experience, creating depth. And I love how some of you say we lack depth but don't a **** thing gets mentioned about how fsu looks on defense now that they have injuries over there... But I thought they had superior talent and backups to everyone.... the way some of our fans think is that depth issues and injuries are only exclusive to Miami, they are in every program...
We DO lack depth, and playing freshmen doesn't change the fact that our backups aren't great in a lot of spots. And fsu IS playing 4/5* backups. What their excuse is for sucking I don't know, but it's not lack of talent.

Because their backups are 4 and 5 stars means that there good? Maybe we try to get Ermon Lane or George Campbell to transfer here. Bama played three freshman in their secondary last season and won a title.

I'll stack our depth against anybody on our schedule. There aint but three teams that can look Miami eye to eye in the ones and twos on our schedule. Sitting at this table I'm good with the hand we've been dealt, if we move to a different table with a bigger pot..maybe not so much. If you want to talk about playoffs you can have a depth argument, but if we're talking about the coastal, we've got enough. ACC championship game might be a problem depth wise.

Once you get to the playoffs, you only have two games left. If reasonably healthy going in, we'd be fine.

There is relative and absolute depth. On a relative basis, we're as good as anyone we play. ND and FSU were supposed to be deeper, but we've seen that they have some glaring gaps. The rest of the schedule would gladly trade their depth chart for ours. On an absolute basis, we're not a BCS level team yet. And Canes fans look at our own backyard in terms of recruiting, as well as to our history -- especially the final 2 Butch Davis / first 2 Coker years -- and have that in mind as the appropriate standard for Miami. Both points are equally valid.

I am personally concerned about the 5-game stretch starting with FSU and ending at Pitt. It's highly possible we are without 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, 1-2 LBs and 1-2 DBs at one point or another during this stretch based on our last several years of injury history. We were without Harris, Colbert, Jenkins, Moten and Willis during one or more of our first three games, so I don't think I'm being alarmist. I'm not too worried if we lose a OG or DT or even DE given our depth right now. I am worried about losing DBs and especially LBs. The better OCs and QBs will figure out how to exploit any holes we have. Having AQM, Grace, Young, and Gordinier would make me feel a whole lot better right now. Hopefully the S&C improvements reduce that risk, and we get a little luck rolling our way.

Advertisement
We certainly lack quality depth. That said, most teams other than Bama, OSU, and a few others have this same problem.

OTOH, our front line talent, other than at OL and DB is top-notch.

That's kinda the point. We want to be championship caliber again, so we need depth similar to those guys.

You are right, Homey. Our depth is fine and only getting better.

Seriously a lot of ppl on this board don't know what theyre talking about when it comes to this overblown subject. How is a lack of depth going to be the reason we lose a couple games??? Where do you all see walk ons getting significant playing time on this team??? The only reason we are going to lose any games is if we are outplayed simple as that. We have more than enough depth and talent on this team to win any game on the schedule. It's like you all have to make up **** to talk about.

Advertisement
The fact is if one of our O-lineman or linebackers get hurt we are in trouble. I'm sure other teams have some depth concerns, but it doesn't take away the fact that our depth is not where it should be and I believe multiple coaches have touched on that point.

The same people who are discounting depth are probably the same ones who are saying how important it is that we get recruits in who can play right away.

And stop comparing our depth or lack thereof to other ACC teams. We should be comparing our depth to top 5, top 10 teams.

And saying our team does not have much depth at some positions isn't an indictment on our football team. Me saying we don't have depth does not mean I don't think we will win the coastal or beat FSU, etc. It's just an observation.

We can agree to disagree.

People are trying to compare our depth to our actual opponents because that's all that matters. Our depth compared to Alabama doesn't matter because we don't play them. We can only beat the teams we play, and our depth is only a concern against the teams we play.

You're overplaying the depth issue at OL and LB. We have a couple serviceable backups at each position. UNC, on the other hand, is forced to play a walk-on LB for an entire game because they have NOTHING.

Tell me about our actual opponents and how they're deeper across the board than us.

I usually agree with you but if either Shaq, Mike,or Zach goes down, who's going to play near or even above their level? Darrion Owens is barely 50% and Charles Perry isn't better. Mike Smith and Terry McCray both belong with their hands in the dirt or at least at SAM to defend against the run; they are in no shape or form --middle linebackers.

Again, that's why those guys are the starters. They're better than their backups. Of course, that's the same at every program in the country.

I can't quantify by percentages how much better the freshmen are than Owens (who was a starter last year), Perry and Smith. The key here is that a guy like Owens, while not fully trusting his knee yet, is still a very good talent. The other two are also talented capable guys.

Now, look at a team like UNC, who is a future opponent. They start a walkon LB, who plays almost every snap.

Focus on our opponents, and tell me why they're deeper across the board than we are. Tell me why they have better backups at LB than a former starter like Owens.

We do have a lack of depth - quality depth.

Putting a player on the field is very different from putting a quality player on the field.

Teams like Houston,Michigan state, Wisconsin, Washington seem to be doing just fine while lacking quality depth... you seriously think their backups are better than Miamis?...

Stop playing the roll like you have any clue what their depth is like...

Will anyone address our opponents' depth and tell me how it's better than ours? That's all that matters when you guys start whining about depth. Our depth at a few spots isn't good. We get that. Now, tell me why our opponents are so much deeper across the board.

It's because it's who they are and we....... let 'em off the hook!!

That'll fix you brockkkkkkkk!! You got a 5 min major, in the box, now!!

The fact is if one of our O-lineman or linebackers get hurt we are in trouble. I'm sure other teams have some depth concerns, but it doesn't take away the fact that our depth is not where it should be and I believe multiple coaches have touched on that point.

The same people who are discounting depth are probably the same ones who are saying how important it is that we get recruits in who can play right away.

And stop comparing our depth or lack thereof to other ACC teams. We should be comparing our depth to top 5, top 10 teams.

And saying our team does not have much depth at some positions isn't an indictment on our football team. Me saying we don't have depth does not mean I don't think we will win the coastal or beat FSU, etc. It's just an observation.

We can agree to disagree.

People are trying to compare our depth to our actual opponents because that's all that matters. Our depth compared to Alabama doesn't matter because we don't play them. We can only beat the teams we play, and our depth is only a concern against the teams we play.

You're overplaying the depth issue at OL and LB. We have a couple serviceable backups at each position. UNC, on the other hand, is forced to play a walk-on LB for an entire game because they have NOTHING.

Tell me about our actual opponents and how they're deeper across the board than us.

I usually agree with you but if either Shaq, Mike,or Zach goes down, who's going to play near or even above their level? Darrion Owens is barely 50% and Charles Perry isn't better. Mike Smith and Terry McCray both belong with their hands in the dirt or at least at SAM to defend against the run; they are in no shape or form --middle linebackers.

Again, that's why those guys are the starters. They're better than their backups. Of course, that's the same at every program in the country.

I can't quantify by percentages how much better the freshmen are than Owens (who was a starter last year), Perry and Smith. The key here is that a guy like Owens, while not fully trusting his knee yet, is still a very good talent. The other two are also talented capable guys.

Now, look at a team like UNC, who is a future opponent. They start a walkon LB, who plays almost every snap.

Focus on our opponents, and tell me why they're deeper across the board than we are. Tell me why they have better backups at LB than a former starter like Owens.

Bruh, we're more talented than UNC top to bottom. We're more talented than every team in the ACC except for FSU, Clemson, and possibly Louisville since they have a likely heisman qb.
The point is just because some teams we play don't have very good depth, doesn't mean anything in regards to our situation. This is Miami, not North Carolina. The Talent level here should, and will soon be, top 5 in the nation.
I'm not sitting here *****ing that we don't have enough talent to win games, but saying we don't have depth issues or talent issues in general is both wrong and takes credit away from the job Mark Richt and his staff have done in less than a yr. Also how much of this is the coaching and how much of this is the actual talent of our players on the roster? We all think our DLine is very talented, but lets be real, if we didn't have coach Kool or Diaz's defensive scheme, we probably wouldn't be nearly as excited as we currently are.

Advertisement
Back