"Lack of depth"

Advertisement
Posters are so shook from being wrong about Golden that they now attempt to compensate by bring overly critical and scared

In college, a quarter of the roster turns over every year. Everyone has to deal with depth issues. IMO, what's troubling for us, is the concentration of inexperience at several key positions. We're starting three freshman LBs. Behind Elder and the grad transfer (I forget his name lol), we have several guys that are still in the process of showing they're ready for prime time. We haven't had to go into the second level on the OL for any significant length of time. That's not to mention (god forbid) if anything should happen to Kaaya.

We're fortunate how our schedule has broken for us. It's given everyone a chance to get their sea legs before the heart of the schedule hits...and the October schedule doesn't look so daunting as it did a month ago. But we've also been pretty fortunate with injuries. We have to hope these guys are bullet-proof. There's no denying that there's uneasiness how we'd be able to react to an untimely rash of injuries.

Stop with that bullsh*t argument. Miami is building depth at plenty of spots now that the underclassmen have played in some games. Even the backup linebackers are gaining experience, creating depth. And I love how some of you say we lack depth but don't a **** thing gets mentioned about how fsu looks on defense now that they have injuries over there... But I thought they had superior talent and backups to everyone.... the way some of our fans think is that depth issues and injuries are only exclusive to Miami, they are in every program...

So your talking bout the coaches? Thats what I am assuming but wanted to clarify since they are the ones who keep saying that we have a lack of depth. Now I am torn... do I believe them or you? Um i will have to ask Manny this weekend when I see him.

It doesn't take an Einstein brain to figure out that we are low on numbers at linebacker. Richt has backed off a lot of the claims that Miami is lacking in depth at receiver and oline. Miami is not lacking in depth at de, dt,receiver,qb,tight end. Miami has low numbers in the secondary but has enough for this season. Take a look at fsu their Dbs already were getting torched with Derwin James on the field, now that he is off it might be worse. Everyone is not loaded with multiple starting caliber players that are backups like at bama like most think they are... At least not the teams that we play

Lets see how we fair against a schedule where we play teams with plenty of depth week in and week out. Lets see where we are at least by mid-season when more attrition impacts us.

And depth doesn't mean warm bodies... It means having players come in and replace players who have a legitimate claim to the position. It means battling for positions and it means having good players to go up against in practice. In many positions we have bent as much as we can. The worry is with the season being so young, our dependencies on players who have never been through and entire college season yet and the knowledge that a few more bends are coming, that we cant bend anymore before we start seeing some breaks. .

We certainly lack quality depth. That said, most teams other than Bama, OSU, and a few others have this same problem.

OTOH, our front line talent, other than at OL and DB is top-notch.

That's kinda the point. We want to be championship caliber again, so we need depth similar to those guys.

No reasonable person expects us to win a championship this year. Our depth is fine for what our goals should be this year.

i kind of agree with you here

unfortunately if I see Terry Mccray, Ryan Mayes, RObert Knowles and Ryan Fines getting crunch playing time this year we will not be reaching any goals...Charles Perry kind of scares me too but im not there with him yet is still hold hope
Those guys aren't NC caliber players, but neither are most of the backups on the teams on our schedule. In fact, some of those guys are as good as a couple starters on ND's defense.

Win the Coastal. Win 10. Barring a catastrophe that's a very reasonable goal with these players and this staff. If it isn't reasonable then we're paying these coaches way too much.

Advertisement
Brock actually makes a point and people jump all over him.

The trogs on CIS never cease to amaze me
Agreed. Everyone here fell for fat guy in the tie no need to knock [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION] for being optimistic about our team.
Some of us positive guys just prefer not to live in complete misery all the time like most of the board

Posters are so shook from being wrong about Golden that they now attempt to compensate by bring overly critical and scared

They're in a constant state of panic and are under the impression Rick needs Vilma and Rolle as backups in order to win a ****** division full of ****** teams that Folden out-recruited.

haa! That makes zero sense. And it's actually the opposite. People that sucked the skin off Golden's balls, OP, are the ones defending the depth on this team which is a direct reflection of Golden's recruiting and management of the roster.

Stop with that bullsh*t argument. Miami is building depth at plenty of spots now that the underclassmen have played in some games. Even the backup linebackers are gaining experience, creating depth. And I love how some of you say we lack depth but don't a **** thing gets mentioned about how fsu looks on defense now that they have injuries over there... But I thought they had superior talent and backups to everyone.... the way some of our fans think is that depth issues and injuries are only exclusive to Miami, they are in every program...

So your talking bout the coaches? Thats what I am assuming but wanted to clarify since they are the ones who keep saying that we have a lack of depth. Now I am torn... do I believe them or you? Um i will have to ask Manny this weekend when I see him.

It doesn't take an Einstein brain to figure out that we are low on numbers at linebacker. Richt has backed off a lot of the claims that Miami is lacking in depth at receiver and oline. Miami is not lacking in depth at de, dt,receiver,qb,tight end. Miami has low numbers in the secondary but has enough for this season. Take a look at fsu their Dbs already were getting torched with Derwin James on the field, now that he is off it might be worse. Everyone is not loaded with multiple starting caliber players that are backups like at bama like most think they are... At least not the teams that we play

Lets see how we fair against a schedule where we play teams with plenty of depth week in and week out. Lets see where we are at least by mid-season when more attrition impacts us.

And depth doesn't mean warm bodies... It means having players come in and replace players who have a legitimate claim to the position. It means battling for positions and it means having good players to go up against in practice. In many positions we have bent as much as we can. The worry is with the season being so young, our dependencies on players who have never been through and entire college season yet and the knowledge that a few more bends are coming, that we cant bend anymore before we start seeing some breaks. .
Name all these teams with "plenty of depth" with "a legitimate claim to the position" on our upcoming schedule, and analyze that depth that isn't just "warm bodies" like you think our depth is.

If you can't then please quit spreading fake info under the guise of being a rational fan.

Advertisement

Name all these teams with "plenty of depth" with "a legitimate claim to the position" on our upcoming schedule, and analyze that depth that isn't just "warm bodies" like you think our depth is.

If you can't then please quit spreading fake info under the guise of being a rational fan.

It's amazing that teams like FSU, North Carolina, and Pittsburgh can have all this depth, and yet, be so bad on defense.

Will anyone address our opponents' depth and tell me how it's better than ours? That's all that matters when you guys start whining about depth. Our depth at a few spots isn't good. We get that. Now, tell me why our opponents are so much deeper across the board.

The funny thing is. They will continue to overlook our comments because they don't have a real foundation to their claim.

They want to force this "lack of depth" narrative upon us like they want a built in excuse for when Richt and or Diaz make a dumb coaching decision that cost us the game. So they can blame it on "depth" instead of calling the coaches out.

Please tell me how Louisville and UNC all of a sudden got this " quality depth".

These boys are getting game experience and being coached up. That's development.. that's creating depth.

The same way Louisville got depth.

There's alot in this post that is spot on but you are way off with the UL comment . They are loaded especially on O with their 2 deep . Being I was born in Louisville and all my family still lives there I pay a ton of attention to them and with the talent left there and what Petrino has brought in UL truly has top 10 talent across the board and the best college QB by far. But your post otherwise is dead on . To be honest I couldn't tell you is most of the team on our schedule had depth or not . I doubt most could . But it doesn't make our lack of LBs and quality OL less of an issue.

So when did Louisville bring in more talent than us? We all live by recruiting ranks right?

They have been consistent in recruiting. I think in the top 25 since Petrino has been there. But they haven't recruited better than us.

They have a team full of 3 stars and development projects.

Again, their depth comes from game experience and being coached up.

That's how you create depth. Developing your potential projects. Thats what spending more on a staff does.

Like Brockwurst said the more game experience we gain the more development our coaches can bring to these players.

You all try to shid on Mayes, Redwine, and Jackson. But those guys are developing and will become "depth" the more experience they get.

They aren't terrible athletes. They can be molded.

It's amazing that teams like FSU, North Carolina, and Pittsburgh can have all this depth, and yet, be so bad on defense.
No way, bro. They got great depth, bro. All their backups have a "legitimate claim at the starting position." I don't have any support for that, but it sounds good to the guys who keep repeating it.

Advertisement

haa! That makes zero sense. And it's actually the opposite. People that sucked the skin off Golden's balls, OP, are the ones defending the depth on this team which is a direct reflection of Golden's recruiting and management of the roster.

Hard to take any poster seriously who is likely on their 5th account and whose account name is BBB on top of that

Seriously a lot of ppl on this board don't know what theyre talking about when it comes to this overblown subject. How is a lack of depth going to be the reason we lose a couple games??? Where do you all see walk ons getting significant playing time on this team??? The only reason we are going to lose any games is if we are outplayed simple as that. We have more than enough depth and talent on this team to win any game on the schedule. It's like you all have to make up **** to talk about.

I agree.

Too many Goldenized fans here who are weak minded and expect losses. Only an idiot predicts 7-8 wins. ****, Golden would have stumbled to 8 wins.

This team has a great chance of going 12 - 0. If they do, they will be pure **** for whoever they face in the ACCCG.

The problem is no one here saying we don't have good depth yet is saying we will win 7-8 games. They, including me, are predicting around 10 wins, and just stating a fact that we don't have the depth/talent yet that would be neccessary to go undefeated and make a real run at a championship. 10 wins would be just about as good of a start anybody could have hoped for under Richt, lets not forget that when you're predicting us going undefeated.

Advertisement

Hard to take any poster seriously who is likely on their 5th account and whose account name is BBB on top of that

You have the deflecting skills of a tarded trump

Will anyone address our opponents' depth and tell me how it's better than ours? That's all that matters when you guys start whining about depth. Our depth at a few spots isn't good. We get that. Now, tell me why our opponents are so much deeper across the board.

The funny thing is. They will continue to overlook our comments because they don't have a real foundation to their claim.

They want to force this "lack of depth" narrative upon us like they want a built in excuse for when Richt and or Diaz make a dumb coaching decision that cost us the game. So they can blame it on "depth" instead of calling the coaches out.

Please tell me how Louisville and UNC all of a sudden got this " quality depth".

These boys are getting game experience and being coached up. That's development.. that's creating depth.

There's alot in this post that is spot on but you are way off with the UL comment . They are loaded especially on O with their 2 deep . Being I was born in Louisville and all my family still lives there I pay a ton of attention to them and with the talent left there and what Petrino has brought in UL truly has top 10 talent across the board and the best college QB by far. But your post otherwise is dead on . To be honest I couldn't tell you is most of the team on our schedule had depth or not . I doubt most could . But it doesn't make our lack of LBs and quality OL less of an issue.

So when did Louisville bring in more talent than us? We all live by recruiting ranks right?

They have been consistent in recruiting. I think in the top 25 since Petrino has been there. But they haven't recruited better than us.

That's how you create depth. Developing your potential projects. Thats what spending more on a staff does.

Like Brockwurst said the more game experience we gain the more development our coaches can bring to these players.

You all try to shid on Mayes, Redwine, and Jackson. But those guys are developing and will become "depth" the more experience they get.

Having a QB that is going to win the heisman takes care of a lot.
Kaaya is great, and is going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick whenever he declares. But he doesn't have nearly the impact that Jackson has or is having.
It doesn't change their depth situation, but it certainly raises their overall talent level. That's what heisman winners do.

The whole question is subjective. Do we have depth? Well, yes. Compared to other Coastal mediocre teams and a severely overrated Notre Dame team. Or, no if you mean do we have enough depth were a couple more injuries would not hurt our chances of making the college football playoff. If the goal for this season is "Win 10+ and the coastal" There's more than enough depth. I think you might be overly optimistic if you think this team could survive a scrape of injuries and still make a run for the playoff.

Having a QB that is going to win the heisman takes care of a lot.
Kaaya is great, and is going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick whenever he declares. But he doesn't have nearly the impact that Jackson has or is having.
It doesn't change their depth situation, but it certainly raises their overall talent level. That's what heisman winners do.

You already giving this guy the Heisman before HALF the season is thru?

Come on man. Don't be naive. He hasn't nearly earned the Heisman.

Advertisement
Back