"Lack of depth"

The only real "depth" we lost this season, was AQM, Grace, Cager & Bruce.

Choc Gray was never really going to see the field & Jamie Gordinier was only going to play Special Teams & come in late in games to spell the Freshman.

We didn't really lose any key playmakers that are irreplaceable & we haven't gone through any injuries that basically every program has throughout a season.

The fact that losing AQM has had little to no effect our on Pass rush actually shows we have more depth (on the DLine) than most teams in the country.

We're thin at LB & have inexperienced guys behind our Senior Safety's, the CB depth is solid but not great, our starters are good though.

Ultimately, we have to just accept the fact that we got what we got and the staff is doing the best they can, it's nothing to b*tch about every week, but of course asking Canes fans not to b*tch about every single thing is near impossible.

Gordinier would prob have more impact than cager. im sorry, i dont get it. Cager is a slow, lanky, injury prone receiver that will never beat out mullions or harris for playing time.

Advertisement

The fact that losing AQM has had little to no effect our on Pass rush actually shows we have more depth (on the DLine) than most teams in the country.

We're thin at LB & have inexperienced guys behind our Senior Safety's, the CB depth is solid but not great, our starters are good though.

Exactly how many ACC teams has this team played this year? How many ranked opponents have we played? Why is it a "fact" that we have more D-line depth than any other team in the country and why won't playing 3 tr. Fr. LBs be an issue with anyone left on our schedule? 3 games into the season and already we are the next Crimson Tide?
When did I say we were Bama??

And go ahead and show me which ACC team has more DLine depth than us...
Maybe you can't read, but I clearly said we're thin at LB.

******' soft *** **** riding fans always hyping up every other team except our own, sh*t is ridiculous.

Have you you seen the other teams in the ACC play?? You think Pitt, UNC, FSU, or even Clemson have as good a Defensive line as us??

We have the best DLine Coach in the country & line loaded with talent, you sound like whiny lil bytch bruh... Foh with that straw man horse****.

Last edited:
We do have a lack of depth - quality depth.

Putting a player on the field is very different from putting a quality player on the field.

Stop with that bullsh*t argument. Miami is building depth at plenty of spots now that the underclassmen have played in some games. Even the backup linebackers are gaining experience, creating depth. And I love how some of you say we lack depth but don't a **** thing gets mentioned about how fsu looks on defense now that they have injuries over there... But I thought they had superior talent and backups to everyone.... the way some of our fans think is that depth issues and injuries are only exclusive to Miami, they are in every program...

This. We are thin at WR, DB, OL, and LB. no two ways about it.

The fact is if one of our O-lineman or linebackers get hurt we are in trouble. I'm sure other teams have some depth concerns, but it doesn't take away the fact that our depth is not where it should be and I believe multiple coaches have touched on that point.

The same people who are discounting depth are probably the same ones who are saying how important it is that we get recruits in who can play right away.

And stop comparing our depth or lack thereof to other ACC teams. We should be comparing our depth to top 5, top 10 teams.

And saying our team does not have much depth at some positions isn't an indictment on our football team. Me saying we don't have depth does not mean I don't think we will win the coastal or beat FSU, etc. It's just an observation.

We can agree to disagree.

Advertisement
I agree that our opponents have similar or worse depth issues. I just feel like we are still capable of losing a game or 2 and if we do Coach Richt is going to get murdered on here by all the fans listening to the "we don't have a lack of depth" "we better go undefeated" "every team left on our schedule sucks" crowd.

We do have a lack of depth - quality depth.

Putting a player on the field is very different from putting a quality player on the field.

Stop with that bullsh*t argument. Miami is building depth at plenty of spots now that the underclassmen have played in some games. Even the backup linebackers are gaining experience, creating depth. And I love how some of you say we lack depth but don't a **** thing gets mentioned about how fsu looks on defense now that they have injuries over there... But I thought they had superior talent and backups to everyone.... the way some of our fans think is that depth issues and injuries are only exclusive to Miami, they are in every program...

This. We are thin at WR, DB, OL, and LB. no two ways about it.

You're the same boob who was telling us how good App Store was and how tough the game would be.

Advertisement
The fact is if one of our O-lineman or linebackers get hurt we are in trouble. I'm sure other teams have some depth concerns, but it doesn't take away the fact that our depth is not where it should be and I believe multiple coaches have touched on that point.

The same people who are discounting depth are probably the same ones who are saying how important it is that we get recruits in who can play right away.

And stop comparing our depth or lack thereof to other ACC teams. We should be comparing our depth to top 5, top 10 teams.

And saying our team does not have much depth at some positions isn't an indictment on our football team. Me saying we don't have depth does not mean I don't think we will win the coastal or beat FSU, etc. It's just an observation.

People are trying to compare our depth to our actual opponents because that's all that matters. Our depth compared to Alabama doesn't matter because we don't play them. We can only beat the teams we play, and our depth is only a concern against the teams we play.

You're overplaying the depth issue at OL and LB. We have a couple serviceable backups at each position. UNC, on the other hand, is forced to play a walk-on LB for an entire game because they have NOTHING.

Tell me about our actual opponents and how they're deeper across the board than us.

Advertisement
I agree that our opponents have similar or worse depth issues. I just feel like we are still capable of losing a game or 2 and if we do Coach Richt is going to get murdered on here by all the fans listening to the "we don't have a lack of depth" "we better go undefeated" "every team left on our schedule sucks" crowd.

Stop worrying about protecting Rick. He's a grown man making $4M per year. He's going to be fine.

I've said all along we will lose a couple games this year. But it'll have nothing to do with depth unless we get absolutely gutted in the next few weeks.

Advertisement

Exactly how many ACC teams has this team played this year? How many ranked opponents have we played? Why is it a "fact" that we have more D-line depth than any other team in the country and why won't playing 3 tr. Fr. LBs be an issue with anyone left on our schedule? 3 games into the season and already we are the next Crimson Tide?
When did I say we were Bama??

And go go ahead and show me which ACC team has more DLine depth than us...

******' soft *** **** riding fans always hyping up every other team except our own, sh*t is ridiculous.

Have you you seen the other teams in the ACC play?? You think Pitt, UNC, FSU, or even Clemson have as good a Defensive line as us??

We have the best DLine Coach in the country & line loaded with talent, you sound like whiny lil bytch bruh... Foh with that straw man horse****.

Yes actually, I do think that FSU and Clemson do have as good of a DLine as we do. I'm pretty sure that Sweat is out for our game, but still, he was like the top rated player in the nation, and they have Walker and Christmas. Clemson has been losing and replacing star Dlineman/pass rushers for a while now. Wilkins was a dominant freshman last year, and they have Watkins at DT. Clemson and FSU have been pretty loaded on the DL.

But, yes DL is our strongest position on Defense. I fully expect to have 2 or 3 DL on the ALL ACC 1st-3rd teams. And that's a combo of talent, scheme, and coaching.

People are trying to compare our depth to our actual opponents because that's all that matters. Our depth compared to Alabama doesn't matter because we don't play them. We can only beat the teams we play, and our depth is only a concern against the teams we play.

You're overplaying the depth issue at OL and LB. We have a couple serviceable backups at each position. UNC, on the other hand, is forced to play a walk-on LB for an entire game because they have NOTHING.

Tell me about our actual opponents and how they're deeper across the board than us.

^^ It really is this simple ^^

We have the depth to compete with or beat anyone on our schedule.
In my case, I'm not expecting to compete for a national championship this year. imo we do not have the depth to compete with bama or osu for a title. When we get to the point our ones can compete with their ones across the board talent wise then we'll have the depth to compete for national championships. Two maybe three recruiting classes and it's on imo, if the coaches can keep up the trend of winning with aggression. I can't speak for anyone else but that's how I feel about the depth issue.

I usually agree with you but if either Shaq, Mike,or Zach goes down, who's going to play near or even above their level? Darrion Owens is barely 50% and Charles Perry isn't better. Mike Smith and Terry McCray both belong with their hands in the dirt or at least at SAM to defend against the run; they are in no shape or form --middle linebackers.

Will anyone address our opponents' depth and tell me how it's better than ours? That's all that matters when you guys start whining about depth. Our depth at a few spots isn't good. We get that. Now, tell me why our opponents are so much deeper across the board.

The funny thing is. They will continue to overlook our comments because they don't have a real foundation to their claim.

They want to force this "lack of depth" narrative upon us like they want a built in excuse for when Richt and or Diaz make a dumb coaching decision that cost us the game. So they can blame it on "depth" instead of calling the coaches out.

Please tell me how Louisville and UNC all of a sudden got this " quality depth".

These boys are getting game experience and being coached up. That's development.. that's creating depth.

The same way Louisville got depth.

There's alot in this post that is spot on but you are way off with the UL comment . They are loaded especially on O with their 2 deep . Being I was born in Louisville and all my family still lives there I pay a ton of attention to them and with the talent left there and what Petrino has brought in UL truly has top 10 talent across the board and the best college QB by far. But your post otherwise is dead on . To be honest I couldn't tell you is most of the team on our schedule had depth or not . I doubt most could . But it doesn't make our lack of LBs and quality OL less of an issue.

Advertisement
Back