Kyle, Lu, D$, Pete,Tito, Geo's Nips: Confirm/Dispel a Rumor

Say what ya want , but Mullen had MSU ranked number one for half a season, that's a level that school has never been.

Remember MSU with Madkin at QB and Cooper on defense. Got robbed of a NC going undefeated in lime 99-2000?

They went 10-2 in 99, good team. Think MissSt has 2 10 win season ever.

Awww **** I thought they went undefeated the whole season I used to enjoy watching they're defensive unit get crunk on the sidelines

They had a good defense , physical run game.

Never went undefeated though

Advertisement
Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

Good post. Valid points. I'm not a Diaz fan but I do think Mullen would have access to better athletes at Miami, helping in improving those defensive numbers.

As far as the QB issue, take a look at my previous post in this thread Leak's first year under Mullen was 20-6 TD/int with 2600 yds.
The next year he and Tebow combined for 28-14 TD/int with 3200 yds on a more run heavy team.

This is a major reason I put him above Butch. Outside of Dorsey, his other UM and UNC QBs have left a lot to be desired. It's the most I portent position on the field and Mullen has a record of success everywhere he's been.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

Good post. Valid points. I'm not a Diaz fan but I do think Mullen would have access to better athletes at Miami, helping in improving those defensive numbers.

As far as the QB issue, take a look at my previous post in this thread Leak's first year under Mullen was 20-6 TD/int with 2600 yds.
The next year he and Tebow combined for 28-14 TD/int with 3200 yds on a more run heavy team.

This is a major reason I put him above Butch. Outside of Dorsey, his other UM and UNC QBs have left a lot to be desired. It's the most I portent position on the field and Mullen has a record of success everywhere he's been.

How'd that work out over the last 5 years here?

Say what ya want , but Mullen had MSU ranked number one for half a season, that's a level that school has never been.

Remember MSU with Madkin at QB and Cooper on defense. Got robbed of a NC going undefeated in lime 99-2000?

Awww **** I thought they went undefeated the whole season I used to enjoy watching they're defensive unit get crunk on the sidelines

Yeah DiegoCane made that clear to me my bad bro

I would like to see what kind of players that Mullen recruited to MSU to compare to what he could do at Miami. Was Mullen a good recruiter at UF and MSU?

Advertisement

Yeah DiegoCane made that clear to me my bad bro

Naw , I saw he did. I was just agreeing about that squad

Mullen fared pretty well when he was stuck with a traditional pocket passer.

That 2006 offense with Chris Leak was 19th in the country. 28th in passing, 23rd in scoring.

The 2005 offense with only Leak was bad. The 2006 offense with Leak and Tebow sputtered through the SEC before heating up late.

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

How'd that work out over the last 5 years here?

There's no guarantee he would bring Diaz. This was his first year there. He had Geoff Collins for the previous 4 years, who is now killing it at UF. I guess he just learned to coach this year. No talent difference between the jobs.

Advertisement

That 2006 offense with Chris Leak was 19th in the country. 28th in passing, 23rd in scoring.

The 2005 offense with only Leak was bad. The 2006 offense with Leak and Tebow sputtered through the SEC before heating up late.

49th in 2005 in PPG, 1st year in new system
24th in 2006 in PPG. Doesn't sound that bad to me

The offense he inherited was 19th in PPG in 2004.

It is NOT Mullen, it is Meyer! Much like how I am skeptical of Hermans success. Meyer is a great coach that has always succeeded when OC's leave.

You don't feel a step back with a new system or personnel that doesn't fit is allowable. If we're picking one "poor" year over 15 years or so of track record we'll never find a candidate. He also improved it every year, finishing 4th and 3rd his last two years in 2007, 2008.

Advertisement

You don't feel a step back with a new system or personnel that doesn't fit is allowable. If we're picking one "poor" year over 15 years or so of track record we'll never find a candidate. He also improved it every year, finishing 4th and 3rd his last two years in 2007, 2008.

I think he's a great offensive coach when he has his type of QB. But it could be a difficult transition period based on Miami's current personnel.

I think he's a great offensive coach when he has his type of QB. But it could be a difficult transition period based on Miami's current personnel.

Dmoney, a bit off track, have you seen N'kosi Perry live? Would he fit this system in your opinion? He's not the thick Tebow, Prescott type. Maybe more Barrett at OSU or Watson at Clemson body wise? Is he the real deal as a dual threat?

It's so **** obvious that Butch is the right guy, the administration just needs to except it and hire the man

Advertisement
Dmoney, a bit off track, have you seen N'kosi Perry live? Would he fit this system in your opinion? He's not the thick Tebow, Prescott type. Maybe more Barrett at OSU or Watson at Clemson body wise? Is he the real deal as a dual threat?

I haven't seen him, but a friend of mine (radiocane) saw him and said he's the real deal.

I would like Mullen, think he would do very well here. Not my #1 , but would be excited if he got the job.

It's so **** obvious that Butch is the right guy, the administration just needs to except it and hire the man

This whole search for the obvious answer, simply reeks. It's fooled a few potatoes, sure. So-called reporters run with this crap to get more eyes. Other than that, it's a giant soap opera.

Enough already.

It is NOT Mullen, it is Meyer! Much like how I am skeptical of Hermans success. Meyer is a great coach that has always succeeded when OC's leave.

Mullen called the plays. I'm also pretty sure their numbers fell off after he left . Ask Gator fans about Steve Addazio. They wanted Mullen back

Advertisement
Back