Kyle, Lu, D$, Pete,Tito, Geo's Nips: Confirm/Dispel a Rumor

It's a rumor that Maryland may offer him the job. Plus the Big Ten is easier than the crowded SEC West. Georgia is more realistic though.

there was a recent report stating MD talked all the top guys and they all turned em down bc its MARYLAND. theyre a limited team even with the UA money.

Advertisement
When has Miami ever hired a home run coach? And I mean a home run at the time they were hired? And who is really a home run coach?

The only home run hires in CFB would be (IMO) Urban, Saban, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Patterson, Jimbo, and maybe Swinney. Everyone else has some some form of question mark.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

1) Can he fix the defense?

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

2) How long before he finds "his type of QB?"

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

Mullen is a good coach. But I have two major concerns regarding his fit at Miami:

Mullen's defenses at Mississippi State have been pretty crappy. Aside from a very good season in 2011 with Fletcher Cox and two NFL corners, here are MSU's ranks in defensive yards-per-play under Mullen:

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

It's not impossible to build a strong defense in Starksville. Jackie Sherrill had some killer units in the late '90s. But Mullen hasn't done it.

Also, many posters have justifiably criticized Charlie Strong for his defensive failures at Texas. Are the same people ready to hitch their wagon to Manny Diaz?

It's no secret that Mullen's offense works best with a certain type of QB- a strong, powerful runner who can also throw. Those guys are hard to find. It took Mullen five years to uncover Dak Prescott.

Even at Florida, Mullen struggled to adapt to Chris Leak. The offense fell off significantly when Mullen took over for Fedora, dropping from 13th to 63rd in yards per play. Things did not pick up until Tebow started getting involved in 2006.

How long would it take Mullen to find his QB in Miami? Kaaya is not that guy. Rosier is only an OK runner and does not look like a special talent. Shireffs and Allison are pocket passers. This may be a short-term concern, but how patient is the fanbase going to be? The right quarterback may be four years away.

There are other significant concerns, but these are two major reasons why I can't place him above Butch.

Good post.

Advertisement

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

He won a national title with Leak taking 99 % of the snaps. Great coaches mold their offense to the talent. He'd make it work for Kayaa

He won a national title with Leak taking 99% of the snaps. Great coaches mold their offense to the talent. He'd make it work for Kayaa

That Gator team won with great defense and timely plays (some of which came from Tebow)

Leak had a pretty pedestrian year. He actually put up better numbers as a sophomore.

He won a national title with Leak taking 99% of the snaps. Great coaches mold their offense to the talent. He'd make it work for Kayaa

That Gator team won with great defense and timely plays (some of which came from Tebow)

Leak had a pretty pedestrian year. He actually put up better numbers as a sophomore.

Tebow was a short yardage back ,that got a few carries a game . People act like he took 15-20 snaps a game. That's myth , pure bs

Leaks best year was under Fedora but they ran more under Mullen. He still had a pretty good Sr year, especially for the system not matching the qb

Advertisement

2015- 54th
2014- 72nd
2013- 70th
2012- 58th
2010- 40th
2009- 82nd

So essentially:

Pro Style!
Defense!
Kaaya!
Fit!
Butch!
Strong!

Advertisement
Mullen fared pretty well when he was stuck with a traditional pocket passer.

That 2006 offense with Chris Leak was 19th in the country. 28th in passing, 23rd in scoring.

Advertisement
Mullen fared pretty well when he was stuck with a traditional pocket passer.

That 2006 offense with Chris Leak was 19th in the country. 28th in passing, 23rd in scoring.

That was my point.

People act like Tebow was running the show or was a major player. Dude averaged like six carries a game, he was a full back lining up at qb. The jump pass against Lsu was his crowning moment that year.

Last edited:
Meyer won at Bowling Green and Utah but also went into two situations where there was talent; Ohio State and UF. He won right away at UF, because there was talent there already. Not saying discrediting anyone, just saying UF had talent in place when he got there.

As someone who's been vocally opposed to Strong being our next coach, I wouldn't want Manny Diaz anywhere near this program either. But I haven't been lobbying for Mullen.

I wouldn't place him in the Patterson/Chip/Dantonio/Gundy tier of perceived pipe dream coaches we should make tell us no. I'd prefer Herman over Mullen too, even though he's much more of an unknown. Maybe that's being too bullish about Herman, but I feel very strongly that he'd kill it here.

Say what ya want , but Mullen had MSU ranked number one for half a season, that's a level that school has never been.

Remember MSU with Madkin at QB and Cooper on defense. Got robbed of a NC going undefeated in lime 99-2000?

They went 10-2 in 99, good team. Think MissSt has 2 10 win season ever.

Awww **** I thought they went undefeated the whole season I used to enjoy watching they're defensive unit get crunk on the sidelines

Advertisement
Back