Kyle, Lu, D$, Pete,Tito, Geo's Nips: Confirm/Dispel a Rumor

Mullen fared pretty well when he was stuck with a traditional pocket passer.

That 2006 offense with Chris Leak was 19th in the country. 28th in passing, 23rd in scoring.

The 2005 offense with only Leak was bad. The 2006 offense with Leak and Tebow sputtered through the SEC before heating up late.

49th in 2005 in PPG, 1st year in new system
24th in 2006 in PPG. Doesn't sound that bad to me

It is NOT Mullen, it is Meyer! Much like how I am skeptical of Hermans success. Meyer is a great coach that has always succeeded when OC's leave.

Mullen called the plays. I'm also pretty sure their numbers fell off after he left . Ask Gator fans about Steve Addazio. They wanted Mullen back

Then Meyer went to OSU without Mullen, went undefeated, then lost 1 reg season game and a BCS game, then won a national title, and is sitting in the top 10 with 1 last second loss. It's not Mullen!

Advertisement
The 2005 offense with only Leak was bad. The 2006 offense with Leak and Tebow sputtered through the SEC before heating up late.

It is NOT Mullen, it is Meyer! Much like how I am skeptical of Hermans success. Meyer is a great coach that has always succeeded when OC's leave.

Mullen called the plays. I'm also pretty sure their numbers fell off after he left . Ask Gator fans about Steve Addazio. They wanted Mullen back

Then Meyer went to OSU without Mullen, went undefeated, then lost 1 reg season game and a BCS game, then won a national title, and is sitting in the top 10 with 1 last second loss. It's not Mullen!

Meyer is a gawd, but Mullen is a really good coach and play caller. Anybody that don't see that is clueless. Urban wasn't calling those plays is the point , just like osu's offense fell off this year without Herman. That's with majority of the team returning.

Last edited:

Meyer is a gawd, but Mullen is a really good coach and play caller. Anybody that don't see that is clueless. Urban wasn't calling those plays is the point , just like osu's offense fell off this year without Herman. That's with majority of the team returning.

Just like how Miami returned everyone in 2002 and their offense slept walked the the majority of their games. They turned it on when they had to. Also just like when FSU slept walk last year. Ohio St is doing the same. That offense just put over 50 points on the board against a Harbaugh D, that everyone was talking about how great it was a couple of weeks ago, without Herman. My point is when you look at teams coached by Meyer, you may want to give the credit where credit is due. That's Urban's Off!

mwcane31 said:
That offense just put over 50 points on the board against a Harbaugh D, that everyone was talking about how great it was a couple of weeks ago, without Herman. My point is when you look at teams coached by Meyer, you may want to give the credit where credit is due. That's Urban's Off!

Coming into the Michigan game, Ohio State's offense was scoring 10 fewer points per game through their first 11 outings than they did a year ago with Herman as their playcaller, co-OC, and QB coach. And Houston's offense was scoring 13 more points per game coming into their 52-31 victory over Navy than they did prior to Herman's arrival.

Urban is a savage, but losing Herman did have an enormous impact on Ohio State's offense. Scoring 10 fewer points per game with pretty much the same personnel aside from losing Devin Smith and gaining Braxton Miller at WR says it all.

Advertisement
mwcane31 said:
That offense just put over 50 points on the board against a Harbaugh D, that everyone was talking about how great it was a couple of weeks ago, without Herman. My point is when you look at teams coached by Meyer, you may want to give the credit where credit is due. That's Urban's Off!

Coming into the Michigan game, Ohio State's offense was scoring 10 fewer points per game through their first 11 outings than they did a year ago with Herman as their playcaller, co-OC, and QB coach. And Houston's offense was scoring 13 more points per game coming into their 52-31 victory over Navy than they did prior to Herman's arrival.

Urban is a savage, but losing Herman did have an enormous impact on Ohio State's offense. Scoring 10 fewer points per game with pretty much the same personnel aside from losing Devin Smith and gaining Braxton Miller at WR says it all.

Preach

Advertisement
Kaaya is better than Leak and Tyler Wilson. If Mullen could call plays for them, he can call plays for Kaaya.

And if hiring Mullen means we los Allison, so be it. I have to imagine there are some dual-threat QBs who would consider Miami. And maybe a transfer, too. I remember the recruiting threads last year talking about Torrance Gibson. He'll sit the bench at Ohio State next year anyway ... Maybe he'd transfer to Miami???

As for the D ... I also have significant concerns about Mullen bringing Diaz as his DC. But I have no clue who might be an option for him to bring?

What's the difference between Dan Mullen and Tom Herman?

3 years of age and 6 years of coaching experience.
Honestly, same O, same 4-3 D. Total Urban proteges. Not much difference IMO.

It's a question of weighing the trade of Mullen's experience when applied to a better situation in Miami to the unknown of Herman who may have a higher ceiling.

I think both would do quite well here.

If Mullen is on the market, he will be offered 5/6 mil at Maryland and Georgia most likely. He makes 4.5 at Miss St. I can't see him taking less to come here.

Advertisement
Kaaya is better than Leak and Tyler Wilson. If Mullen could call plays for them, he can call plays for Kaaya.

And if hiring Mullen means we los Allison, so be it. I have to imagine there are some dual-threat QBs who would consider Miami. And maybe a transfer, too. I remember the recruiting threads last year talking about Torrance Gibson. He'll sit the bench at Ohio State next year anyway ... Maybe he'd transfer to Miami???

As for the D ... I also have significant concerns about Mullen bringing Diaz as his DC. But I have no clue who might be an option for him to bring?

Not a fan of Diaz. His first DC hire was Carl Torbush for 1 year. He left for Kansas and he promoted Diaz for a year from LB coach before he left for Texas. Had Geoff Collins for 4 years before he was hired by McElwain at UF. Brought back Diaz this year.

Agree. I'd take Mullen or Herman.

Mullen has more HC experience, and has competed at the higher level for more time.

I like Herman's uptempo offense better. Herman also seems to prefer the 3-4 defense, while Mullen has 4-3 guys.

What's the difference between Dan Mullen and Tom Herman?

3 years of age and 6 years of coaching experience.
Honestly, same O, same 4-3 D. Total Urban proteges. Not much difference IMO.

It's a question of weighing the trade of Mullen's experience when applied to a better situation in Miami to the unknown of Herman who may have a higher ceiling.

I think both would do quite well here.

Advertisement
Come on...

Early SEC ranking. Only in the SEC could a team go from unranked to #1 in a few weeks. They beat an overrated LSU, Auburn, and Texas AM team (Auburn was the only one to finish in top 25).

Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen, former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano and former Hurricanes coach Butch Davis were interviewed for the vacant position, also noting the school spoke with Mark Richt on Tuesday.

CornBreath.

Insider DELUXE

Advertisement
Back