Kul's Salary at Bama 750K

I could give two ****s about Kewl right now but here's what I did garner (as I do annually) from the salary details of Alabaga's staph- that the disparity is always WAY overblown. They have a DB corch makin' $350k and people acting like their staph is all making NFL money while we're paying high school level wages.

Lazy mercenaries like Kewl and opportunist frauds like Luigi aren't going to mighty Alabamy for what are essentially modest raises (while having to live in "beautiful" Tuscaloosy).

That is far from true. Their high end position coaches/Coordinators make a lot more than Miamis. And 350k for what is essentially an assistant DB Coach since we all know Saban really runs the DBs is a **** of a lot of money.

Advertisement
That's a 58 mile commute...according to Google Maps. Something tells me Judas stays in KKK ville. That $750k translates to likely $1.2m in that chit hole of a town.

i'd drive an hour to work living that high a lifestyle ( the $$$ ) if it meant staying out of that town

it ain't a big deal when you got the money to drive a merc or porsche

now if you're driving a beat down pickup like one of us plebs, different story

That is far from true. Their high end position coaches/Coordinators make a lot more than Miamis. And 350k for what is essentially an assistant DB Coach since we all know Saban really runs the DBs is a **** of a lot of money.

Not necessarily just in relation to us but the sport in general. Their OC and DC both make a little over $1 mil per year. Freakin' Pep Hamilton at Michigan makes the same- as do many other perceived "high end" coordinators.

My point was two-fold. That Kewl (and Luigi) didn't bolt for some massive payday AND that while Bama definitely does pay well- they certainly aren't in a league of their own when it comes to money for the staff.

Not necessarily just in relation to us but the sport in general. Their OC and DC both make a little over $1 mil per year. Freakin' Pep Hamilton at Michigan makes the same- as do many other perceived "high end" coordinators.

My point was two-fold. That Kewl (and Luigi) didn't bolt for some massive payday AND that while Bama definitely does pay well- they certainly aren't in a league of their own when it comes to money for the staff.

In that case I 100% agree. All of those blue/purple blood schools are in their own league when it comes to salaries. We don't know how much Kul was getting at Miami, but even if it was as high as 500k then an extra 250k is a massive bonus and 99% of coaches would bolt for that salary increase.

You normally have pretty well-thought out opinions but I’ll have to disagree with you about Bama’s players having entitlement issues. Their fans definitely have entitlement issues, but there is no way Bama and Saban could keep their success going for this long without those kids having that dog in them. I don’t disagree that they are still probably hired Mercs, but they buy into the “process” enough that they just keep winning.

We’re on our way up tho, and we need someone with the energy of Jess Simpson that can connect with players to contrast Coach Kul’s approach, even as great of a technician as he is.

No, I know he won't have to recruit. However, this isn't going to help him when he is simply handed the highest paid players. He's going to get lazy there, and coaching paid players with entitlement issues won't be good for him. He has always coached guys with a chip on their shoulders, not guys that will be making **** near as much as him. What glitters isn't always gold, and he's going to find that out at Bama.

Advertisement
While money is important when making career choices, I think most of us can agree that Kool leaving had more to do with Alabama letting him focus on coaching instead recruiting which was his weak point.

Kool is looking for whatever will get him into the NFL fastest and Alabama is it. I think he's a **** good coach but he lacks the work ethic and focus that Richt requires in his staff.

Not sure I agree with you at all - #1 reason he left is $ ....... #2 Best chance to play for a natty - not having to worry about recruiting is a benefit but no way that is that the driver

PS Really glad we have coach Richt and no way he pushes his coaches harder than Saben ...no way

meanwhile not enough money to pay players. lol what a joke.

Btw if P5 schools just set aside just $2m to pay football players, a sport that makes big programs in the $40M+ range of PROFIT, they could pay Every scholarship player $24k/yr plus tuition, room, and board.

But can't possibly do that, can we! Instead Saban needs to make $12m instead of just $10m.

While money is important when making career choices, I think most of us can agree that Kool leaving had more to do with Alabama letting him focus on coaching instead recruiting which was his weak point.

Kool is looking for whatever will get him into the NFL fastest and Alabama is it. I think he's a **** good coach but he lacks the work ethic and focus that Richt requires in his staff.

unless he has really hit the weight room and can bend that corner. how the **** is bama getting him to the nfl faster?. Send me a list of their current nfl coaches? Jethro Franklin is in the nfl..foh

Advertisement
You normally have pretty well-thought out opinions but I’ll have to disagree with you about Bama’s players having entitlement issues. Their fans definitely have entitlement issues, but there is no way Bama and Saban could keep their success going for this long without those kids having that dog in them. I don’t disagree that they are still probably hired Mercs, but they buy into the “process” enough that they just keep winning.

We’re on our way up tho, and we need someone with the energy of Jess Simpson that can connect with players to contrast Coach Kul’s approach, even as great of a technician as he is.
I get your point. Just saying for Coach Kuligowski, it's a different animal. It'll also be interesting to see if more of their players leave early under him. He's a good coach, but my opinion of him lessened the longer he was here. He wasn't into recruiting, and just came across as a guy that knew his trade, but sort of wanted to be in a bubble. He might be a perfect fit for Bama, and them for him, but I have a hunch it's not going to be all sunshine and roses there, and he packs his bags for the NFL within 2 years. Maybe less.

What you say makes sense. It was hard for me to understand both underclassmen DTs leaving early knowing they could keep developing under Coach Kul. If either they knew he was looking for a different opportunity or that he hadn’t connected with them in a way they trusted him wholeheartedly, then our long-term outlook was degrading.

I thank him for his effort getting our D-line back to being at a national level again, but I’m looking forward to see what Jess Simpson can do. He’s really respected up here in Atlanta - he will come in ready to eat

In that case I 100% agree. All of those blue/purple blood schools are in their own league when it comes to salaries. We don't know how much Kul was getting at Miami, but even if it was as high as 500k then an extra 250k is a massive bonus and 99% of coaches would bolt for that salary increase.
I would leave too.. He took a $250,000 bump.. **** yeah I'm gone.. Plus he knows he's at least gonna be in contention in the sec west until saban leaves.

unless he has really hit the weight room and can bend that corner. how the **** is bama getting him to the nfl faster?. Send me a list of their current nfl coaches? Jethro Franklin is in the nfl..foh

Their last 2 DL coaches are now coaching in the NFL, lol.
That’s exactly where he is headed next.

Advertisement
Again...Jethro Franklin is in the NFL..and?

Im very conflicted on this whole thing. I really liked Koach Kool, thought his hire was really symbolic of a turning of the page for Miami in terms of paying for quality staff members and investing into the program. UM couldnt go cheap and Richt made them understand that. And honestly, I liked the guy, thought,naively that this would be his dream job and his last gig, and our best coach at this position since John Palermo in 06. (LOL, **** I even followed him on Twitter and gave him a bunch of RT, yeah, Im a sucker, I admit)

And I can't even argue with the results his two years at Miami - I mean, we had a quality front line. But we also had plenty of material and talent too. I mean, hey, you can't be Angelo Dundee if you don't have Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. When he left for Bama it was a Bruce Lee punch in the gut, I cant lie, as Ed Reed would say - it hurt dawg.

But I tell you what turned me, the fact he was at the end just a mercenary. Miami was just a gig for him, he was a carpet bagger. If you dont wanna be a Hurricane, f'you, scram, get outta here. We're gonna be aiiight. We're good. Because Miami will attract talent and this new guy Simpson seems to be just fine. Also from what Im being told by people in the know, Kool was mediocre, at best, in terms of recruiting and didn't fit in with the rest of the staff and the reality is if you recruit at an elite level, guess what, you'll have an elite unit

Miami has made great coaching talent. They have cultivated coaching careers. Yeah, look at the history of this program.

I look back at the history of UM and this program has had really good DL coaches from Butch Davis, Ed Orgeron to Bob Karmelowicz(sp?). Palermo, and the program has moved on from those guys. There have been many coaches -great ones like Schnellengber, Jimmy Johnson, Erickson, etc, who's best days were in Coral Gables.( OK, maybe Jimmy's best days were in Dallas but to this day he'll say his favorite gig was being the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes)

As long as this staf grinds on the recruiting trail as they have, Kool will just be a footnote very soon

I can't lie, when he first left it was worse than when the Fat Boys broke up but we'll be fine. The early returns are promising. Besides any individual that would rather live in Tuscaloosa than Miami is someone who isn't someone I trust fully

Last edited:
Saban is scared. This is not his usual hire. He goes for the recruiting connections and this guy does not fit the bill. Saban is hoping to just hurt Miami a little. He is control freak and does the serious stuff himself. This is the third Miami coach he poached. He knows where the only danger to his reign is: a return of The U. Every is a one game here or there thing. Only The U can take the mountain top back.

Advertisement
Kul didn’t like to recruit even when things were set up for him. He’s a good coach but I don’t think we lose anything with Simpson and he might even be a step up as he is a better teacher of fundamentals.

Again...Jethro Franklin is in the NFL..and?

I mean...
You asked how can Bama get him to the NFL and to send a list of coaches so that’s what I did.
The fact that Jethro is in the NFL even strengthens the point that Kul should have zero problem making it.

The legitimacy of making it/becoming an NFL coach was never the question/argument here lol. If it was then I missed it. I was just answering your request.

No, I know he won't have to recruit. However, this isn't going to help him when he is simply handed the highest paid players. He's going to get lazy there, and coaching paid players with entitlement issues won't be good for him. He has always coached guys with a chip on their shoulders, not guys that will be making **** near as much as him. What glitters isn't always gold, and he's going to find that out at Bama.
no matter what bama still has to pay if they dont kids wont go there, yes the name recruits itself but if u aint offering what another school is kids wont go there its simple as that. There dominance has made it so easy for them espcially with children now, in 7 years they will have a bunch of duke johnsons who will play there no matter what.

So you think a guy who lacks work ethic and focus is good enough for Saban but not Richt? You guys love to drum up odd arguments to save face for Richt.

I would say he left Miami to go to a school where failing isn't an option, and if you do, you are gone. Saban isn't going to keep around a coach who doesn't work hard and isn't focused on the job. A job which requires you to prepare your players to win championships; and if you don't, your season is a massive failure and you are in the unemployment line.

Advertisement
Back