Krazy Takes: James Williams Starts Day 1

Nah, not day 1 against the #1 team in the nation but...before the end of the year? Maybe.

Who will be the #3 safety? Balom? Kinchens?

Advertisement
It depends on the roster your comparing them too..majority of our 2 deep starts at most programs

That's probably true. I've always said we have better talent than anyone in our conference aside from Clemson. It's the production on the field that we're not seeing.

My point is, feeling good about "depth" on paper doesn't get us anywhere. Especially not when the players on the field aren't performing. We've had glaring holes on both sides of the ball for years. I don't care if we're 6 deep at S if the LB'ers play like hot garbage. Get the best 22 players on the field and make them better each time out.

Anyone seen James Williams in practice?? Anyone know how he is doing?

For all we know he is behind Balom and Kinchens.... He PROJECTS to be a 5 star stud, no one knows where he is at developmentally.

Hall has flashed, and is a solid tackler. Surprised no one is mentioning Bubba, who had the worse 2nd half of the season of the two safeties.

For all we know he is behind Balom and Kinchens.... He PROJECTS to be a 5 star stud, no one knows where he is at developmentally.

Hall has flashed, and is a solid tackler. Surprised no one is mentioning Bubba, who had the worse 2nd half of the season of the two safeties.

I actually have heard some interesting things regarding the safety position...

My source tells me James is developing well. My source did note that James has a great attitude and built a great rapport with teammates since arriving. This is important as he continues to earn the trust of his teammates and coaches. Contrast James' reputation with the team with that of Gurvan. Not many people know this but Gurvan isn't well liked by some of his current and former teammates. All James has to do is go in and be better than Hall and he will likely start.

This same source told me weeks ago prior to AW being dismissed, that he was the real deal. I haven't touched based since everything has transpired but I'm sure there's a lot of disappointment within the team.

I hear what you're getting at but honestly, there aren't very many teams in college football with proven depth at multiple positions. It's the nature of the sport. You get three of four years out of a guy max. Especially today with players transferring the second they don't get a starting spot. You're just not going to find a lot of teams that have experienced backups all over the field today.
THIS AND THIS.

At some point, we've got to get out of our heads that we need four 5 stars stacked at every single position in order to win. No team has that kind of depth in today's game, and the portal has only made it more challenging to stockpile talent. That's why you recruit each year to get the best talent you can, because every single year you will lose guys due to injury, off-field bull****, the portal and whatever else.

And you keep a good coaching and S&C staff to get the guys you have ready to contribute early. I know some of us are still suffering from Golden trauma, but we have more than enough talent right now on our roster to win the ACC Coastal. No more excuses. Time to win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
THIS AND THIS.

At some point, we've got to get out of our heads that we need four 5 stars stacked at every single position in order to win. No team has that kind of depth in today's game, and the portal has only made it more challenging to stockpile talent. That's why you recruit each year to get the best talent you can, because every single year you will lose guys due to injury, off-field bull****, the portal and whatever else.

And you keep a good coaching and S&C staff to get the guys you have ready to contribute early. I know some of us are still suffering from Golden trauma, but we have more than enough talent right now on our roster to win the ACC Coastal. No more excuses. Time to win.
Yeah, I don't believe overall team depth is that far off from most contenders but there's still a few positions where the talent levels just aren't there. Much better overall than they were a year or two ago though. This is a legit top 10-15 team in terms of the players available.

25D535B3-AD98-4C46-86D2-EAFD09A448A7.gif

Advertisement
James Williams is not going to start , but we will play 3 safeties in some of the packages , so he will see the feel if he beats out balom and Washington of course.

Did you watch the second half of the season? Bubba missed soo many tackles and got beat in coverage.

Maybe we were watching different games but in my eyes he definitely regressed after the Clemson game (which he was phenomenal).
Bubba started buying into the national hype and lost focus I think. The Demolition Man hairstyle was the sign. Lol...That said, I think T-Rob will keep him focused and you will see a full season of what we saw the first 4-5 games which would absolutely make him an All American and at worst first team All ACC.

Advertisement
THIS AND THIS.

Bama does. UGA does. Clemsom does. OSU does. TAMU is getting there....

Bubba started buying into the national hype and lost focus I think. The Demolition Man hairstyle was the sign. Lol...That said, I think T-Rob will keep him focused and you will see a full season of what we saw the first 4-5 games which would absolutely make him an All American and at worst first team All ACC.
I think we’ve had guys make 1st team All-American but not 1st team All-ACC

I have a cousin on the team, he straight up told me he expected James Williams and Avantae to start by the end of the year. Of course 1/2 that prediction can't happen anymore but he certified that James Williams was a baller.

Advertisement
Yeah man, and as much as I was excited about Brooks and Huff heading in to last year, I have to admit, the performance was underwhelming. Hopefully, some of these guys come around, but we have to do better. Flagg is alright too, his instincts look good, but he just doesn't have the body or athleticism to really get it done as a starter, maybe he's ok as a spot rotation type guy.

Speaking of Huff, any word on if buddy has gained some weight to have a shot at actually playing here?

Did you watch the second half of the season? Bubba missed soo many tackles and got beat in coverage.

Maybe we were watching different games but in my eyes he definitely regressed after the Clemson game (which he was phenomenal).

Bubba had some bad plays but he still played way better than Hall. Bubba had more solo tackles (50) than Hall had total tackles (43). 4 forced fumbles, 1 int, 6.5 tackles for loss. Hall didn’t get close to that production… invincible most of the season.

Got ya. Yeah, I was not talking about just the safety room, I'm talking about the whole roster. My point was, and it's just my humble opinion, but James Williams will be a better LB than S, and he most definitely helps us more at LB where we have a desperate need for athleticism, so if he's the best guy we've got at LB, I'd rather see him on the field, than splitting snaps at S where we can feel good about supposed "depth" at one position group.

Also, depth only matters if the front line guys are playing at a very high level, and then the backups can come in and play at nearly the same level. If you've got a room full of guys that can all play at average level for your conference, I don't really consider that to be depth. I feel good about the safety room, but we've gotta see the performance, and it needs to be consistent.
I've been hearing the same **** every yr for 2 decades. I'm tired of all the hype and bs. I'm ready to win atleast our conference that has never been done. WTF

Advertisement
Back