Krazy Takes: James Williams Starts Day 1

Hey im with that only if sam brooks, troutman, huff and tyler johnson are the main backups bcuz those are light in da *** and experience!!

Yeah man, and as much as I was excited about Brooks and Huff heading in to last year, I have to admit, the performance was underwhelming. Hopefully, some of these guys come around, but we have to do better. Flagg is alright too, his instincts look good, but he just doesn't have the body or athleticism to really get it done as a starter, maybe he's ok as a spot rotation type guy.

Advertisement
Bubba Bolden (FS) and James Williams (SS) that’s a lot of size and playmaking at the safety position. Star talent if Ray Ray Armstrong can start day one James Williams better… Manny TRob I hope you’re taking notes.

I guess my dream of Gurvan Hall moving to striker on the bench won’t materialize bc of the recent news, but I can live with him being 2nd string… thoughts?
tenor (79).gif
tenor (77).gif
tenor (78).gif

By that standard, every team with a full roster of players and twice the starters at a given position "has depth". I think I've been clear, as noted in another post in this thread, meaningful depth is when you have above average performance at the starter level, and backups on the bench who have proven capable of coming in to the game and seeing little to no drop off in performance.

Portis/Gore/McGahee/Davenport was depth. Our current LB position group, or S group for that matter, is a bunch of names where even the starters haven't proven they can consistently play at a premier level, much less the backups. While stars are always nice, I'd hardly call counting on a true freshman as your first backup off the bench as high level depth.

We can agree to disagree, but there's no need to respond to my every thought with an oversimplified straw man argument. Let's just agree that we have different standards. Cheers
I hear what you're getting at but honestly, there aren't very many teams in college football with proven depth at multiple positions. It's the nature of the sport. You get three of four years out of a guy max. Especially today with players transferring the second they don't get a starting spot. You're just not going to find a lot of teams that have experienced backups all over the field today.

Yeah man, and as much as I was excited about Brooks and Huff heading in to last year, I have to admit, the performance was underwhelming. Hopefully, some of these guys come around, but we have to do better. Flagg is alright too, his instincts look good, but he just doesn't have the body or athleticism to really get it done as a starter, maybe he's ok as a spot rotation type guy.
I use 2 be one of those fans that thought becuz we had numbers that it translated 2 depth! But, our linebacker play last year changed that bigtime! We had- jennings, mccloud, flagg, tac, steed, huff, brooks probably missing somebody but thats 7 players for 2 spots and stii couldn't find anybody!!!

Advertisement
I think Gurvan just like most players will benefit from being from underneath Baker's scheme and play calling. I think Gurvan will take a step up and have a productive season under the play calling of Manny. Many ppl on this board consider Gurvan's first two years as his best years. Well guess who was his defensive coordinator then.

Hall only started 3 games in 2020 and has generally looked bad. Not sure how/why it should be considered Krazy that a 6'5 5-star All-American will start over a career underachiever, other than because of the staff's preference toward older players.

Hall only started 3 games in 2020 and has generally looked bad. Not sure how/why it should be considered Krazy that a 6'5 5-star All-American will start over a career underachiever, other than because of the staff's preference toward older players.
Or maybe we had a major upgrade in the coaching of that position. The talent is there. I would like to see what trob can do before writing him off

True but to think he should be starting week 1 automatically is absurd. If James shows he can play you still start Hall and then just let James get snaps he should start by week 3-4 if he’s the real deal no need to rush it.

Advertisement
IF a 1st year no experience player is the better player and puts us in the best position to win.......USE HIM!!!!

Nobody on a good team should be owed a position just because of seniority. Could care less about how long a player has held a certain position.

I feel for any veteran BUT IF he's beaten out by a better player, he's just beaten out.

Having experience at a skill position is great....IMO Having BIG talent at a skill positions is better.

Wouldn't shock me. I'm still waiting on Gurvan Hall to make a play. Every year is his year but he just looks like just a guy out there.

Advertisement
Hall was the second leading tackler in 2019 but he seemed to fall off last year. He’s capable of being a solid if not great safety.

Bubba Bolden (FS) and James Williams (SS) that’s a lot of size and playmaking at the safety position. Star talent if Ray Ray Armstrong can start day one James Williams better… Manny TRob I hope you’re taking notes.

I guess my dream of Gurvan Hall moving to striker on the bench won’t materialize bc of the recent news, but I can live with him being 2nd string… thoughts?
Williams has to play a lot, no seniority bull**** can happen this year, especially with him. You can't land 5 star players and not utilize them early.

Advertisement

At some point in season maybe but not week 1

Advertisement
Back