Krazy Takes: James Williams Starts Day 1

Where do we have depth? At LB? At CB? At WR? At TE? At DE? At DT?

Sure, we have a bunch of names on a roster sheet, but outside of die hard Canes fans, how many positions do we have backups that the casual fan of other teams knows their name?

I tend to take breaths between thoughts and sentences, so I am offended by your insinuation that I said more than one thing in the same breath.
We're discussing the safety room! Where were da deepest and da casual recruiting fan knows- kinchens, williams×2, bubba , hall **** even balom made a name f4 himself! But i agree with u bout most of da other positions.

Advertisement
After watching the spring game again, this maaf hits and I wouldn't be mad with him patrolling the deep end:

1626970450032.png

Advertisement
We're discussing the safety room! Where were da deepest and da casual recruiting fan knows- kinchens, williams×2, bubba , hall **** even balom made a name f4 himself! But i agree with u bout most of da other positions.

Got ya. Yeah, I was not talking about just the safety room, I'm talking about the whole roster. My point was, and it's just my humble opinion, but James Williams will be a better LB than S, and he most definitely helps us more at LB where we have a desperate need for athleticism, so if he's the best guy we've got at LB, I'd rather see him on the field, than splitting snaps at S where we can feel good about supposed "depth" at one position group.

Also, depth only matters if the front line guys are playing at a very high level, and then the backups can come in and play at nearly the same level. If you've got a room full of guys that can all play at average level for your conference, I don't really consider that to be depth. I feel good about the safety room, but we've gotta see the performance, and it needs to be consistent.

Got ya. Yeah, I was not talking about just the safety room, I'm talking about the whole roster. My point was, and it's just my humble opinion, but James Williams will be a better LB than S, and he most definitely helps us more at LB where we have a desperate need for athleticism, so if he's the best guy we've got at LB, I'd rather see him on the field, than splitting snaps at S where we can feel good about supposed "depth" at one position group.

Also, depth only matters if the front line guys are playing at a very high level, and then the backups can come in and play at nearly the same level. If you've got a room full of guys that can all play at average level for your conference, I don't really consider that to be depth. I feel good about the safety room, but we've gotta see the performance, and it needs to be consistent.
Im with yu! Somebody suggested jwill and keontra play da linebackers spot and I'm with that.

Advertisement
Where do we have depth? At LB? At CB? At WR? At TE? At DE? At DT?

Sure, we have a bunch of names on a roster sheet, but outside of die hard Canes fans, how many positions do we have backups that the casual fan of other teams knows their name?

I tend to take breaths between thoughts and sentences, so I am offended by your insinuation that I said more than one thing in the same breath.

We have depth at nearly every position. You saying no one knows who they are is irrelevant and a completely different subject.

I want to see him used all around the field. At Saftey, Blitzing, maybe on the second level at Striker.
Lots of Special teams trying to block kicks and punts.

Starting Safety? That is asking too much too soon.
Maybe by the end of the year it will not be a stretch especially since the other Williams seems to have messed up big time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We have depth at nearly every position. You saying no one knows who they are is irrelevant and a completely different subject.

By that standard, every team with a full roster of players and twice the starters at a given position "has depth". I think I've been clear, as noted in another post in this thread, meaningful depth is when you have above average performance at the starter level, and backups on the bench who have proven capable of coming in to the game and seeing little to no drop off in performance.

Portis/Gore/McGahee/Davenport was depth. Our current LB position group, or S group for that matter, is a bunch of names where even the starters haven't proven they can consistently play at a premier level, much less the backups. While stars are always nice, I'd hardly call counting on a true freshman as your first backup off the bench as high level depth.

We can agree to disagree, but there's no need to respond to my every thought with an oversimplified straw man argument. Let's just agree that we have different standards. Cheers

Advertisement
Back