Kings NIL business

Advertisement
That's great, but the Miami TV market isn't watching college football. The #1 market for college football ratings on ESPN? Birmingham.
They arent watching college football when UM is down. Would love to see those local ratings when UM is relevant. And King is getting these deals because they expect us to be majorly relevant this season. He wouldnt be sniffing anything if we were projected to go 6-6.

They arent watching college football when UM is down. Would love to see those local ratings when UM is relevant. And King is getting these deals because they expect us to be majorly relevant this season. He wouldnt be sniffing anything if we were projected to go 6-6.
Really? Two female basketball players from Fresno State (17-11, 1-1 in WNIT) signed a deal with Boost Mobile. And I don't see a whole lot of other deals being made with any Miami football players. King is getting deals because he is D'eriq King, not because Miami might have a decent season.

I'm not really convinced that location will play a significant role here. IMO, it's about national exposure not local. I get the narrative that Miami is a bigger city than Tuscaloosa therefore Miami is more attractive but idk.

I think the easiest way to go about this is 1) which program has most social media followers 2) which football players have the most social media followers. Money will flow to that more so than geographic location.
This. Alabama fans are rabid, they'll likely buy more merch than Miami fans ever will. As a player your name will get recognized no matter where you play. In the short term, the back up QB at Bama has a much better chance of making money on his NIL than does the back up QB at Miami.

We're going to need to use the new Ignite NIL program to try to show how kids can continue to market themselves long after the game is over

That’s December

417C0B4B-FA06-4AA9-A4E8-8E8E828E296D.png

Advertisement
That's great, but the Miami TV market isn't watching college football. The #1 market for college football ratings on ESPN? Birmingham.
Do you actually know how tv ratings work and why what you're citing is essentially meaningless SEC propaganda?

The number you're using is based on the percent of TV homes in the market that are tuned in to ESPN in any given quarter hour during the day. Percent. Not total homes. Percent of what is a ****ant size overall market with Birmingham being like 600k tv homes TOTAL. JUST Miami and Fort Lauderdale alone are a MILLION more tv homes in market size.

Those ratings are based on percentage of of people in a particular area watching TV, not absolute viewership. The greater Birmingham metro area has a population of just over 1 million. The greater Miami metro area has a population of 6.6 million. Birmingham has a Nielsen # around 9. That means 9% of households are watching Bama football, which equates to roughly 100,000. Bama is as dominant as it can be so there isn't much else they can do that is going to suddenly get more people in Birmingham to watch Bama football. Miami could have an absolutely abysmal Nielsen rating of 2 and would still have more total viewers (120k+). In addition to that, Birmingham is ranked amongst the poorest cities in the U.S, meaning national advertisers are fully aware that people there aren't buying a lot of products and it's a bad market (shouldn't come as a surprise that advertisers don't advertise for the sake of advertising, they do it because they want people to buy their stuff).

Which market do you think national advertisers are going to be more interested in- poor, decrepit Birmingham where there is nothing to do but watch football or the capital of Latin America, which has 6 times the number of potential viewers and where everyone feels like they need to have the latest and greatest products? And if Miami actually has a good season and more people in S Fl start watching games, it will obliterate Bama's local TV numbers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Those ratings are based on percentage of of people in a particular area watching TV, not absolute viewership. The greater Birmingham metro area has a population of just over 1 million. The greater Miami metro area has a population of 6.6 million. Birmingham has a Nielsen # around 9. That means 9% of households are watching Bama football, which equates to roughly 100,000. Bama is as dominant as it can be so there isn't much else they can do that is going to suddenly get more people in Birmingham to watch Bama football. Miami could have an absolutely abysmal Nielsen rating of 2 and would still have more total viewers (120k+). In addition to that, Birmingham is ranked amongst the poorest cities in the U.S, meaning national advertisers are fully aware that people there aren't buying a lot of products and it's a bad market (shouldn't come as a surprise that advertisers don't advertise for the sake of advertising, they do it because they want people to buy their stuff).

Which market do you think national advertisers are going to be more interested in- poor, decrepit Birmingham where there is nothing to do but watch football or the capital of Latin America, which has 6 times the number of potential viewers and where everyone feels like they need to have the latest and greatest products? And if Miami actually has a good season and more people in S Fl start watching games, it will obliterate Bama's local TV numbers.
What do national advertisers have to do with it? The NIL is going to be solely regional for a program like Miami. Things like College Hunks and The Wharf. And that Latin American capital barely knows that UM exists within its community.

Do you actually know how tv ratings work and why what you're citing is essentially meaningless SEC propaganda?

The number you're using is based on the percent of TV homes in the market that are tuned in to ESPN in any given quarter hour during the day. Percent. Not total homes. Percent of what is a ****ant size overall market with Birmingham being like 600k tv homes TOTAL. JUST Miami and Fort Lauderdale alone are a MILLION more tv homes in market size.

And those people in Miami and Fort Lauderdale aren't the least bit interested in Miami football, hence the poor TV ratings and abysmal attendance.

I hope so. Don't get me wrong, prior to this, we couldn't do any of it and we have a head start (not to mention state income tax). It's certainly a start but I'm curious how far this will go. I'd say merch sales would be a lot more lucrative at a bag school but Miami can put its own flavor on things given our distinct (more urban) merch.
Today is STILL July 1st! Look at how many deals King has made since you first commented!

Advertisement
D'eriq is just gonna be successful in life regardless of what happens in football beyond miami. Kid is straight driven and clearly smart as ****

And those people in Miami and Fort Lauderdale aren't the least bit interested in Miami football, hence the poor TV ratings and abysmal attendance.
Huh? LOL. You can say that for every **** team in South florida buddy. If you are from here which it looks like you are..you should know that South Florida only comes out when you are winning. When you are losing, nobody cares.

Huh? LOL. You can say that for every **** team in South florida buddy. If you are from here which it looks like you are..you should know that South Florida only comes out when you are winning. When you are losing, nobody cares.

Yeah, that's why South Florida isn't some hotbed for college marketing. You're agreeing with me.

Advertisement
Really? Two female basketball players from Fresno State (17-11, 1-1 in WNIT) signed a deal with Boost Mobile. And I don't see a whole lot of other deals being made with any Miami football players. King is getting deals because he is D'eriq King, not because Miami might have a decent season.
Signed one deal huh? LOL. Thats all you got for me with those Fresno State chicks? D'Eriq signed 3-4 in less than a day including one for the Wharf..and you dont think its because hes in Miami and the buzz surrounding the program this coming season??? So if we were slated to go 4-8 and were preseason unranked..you think he still gets the same deals? I think not.

Bubba Bolden got a deal too. So its not just King getting deals.

Yeah, that's why South Florida isn't some hotbed for college marketing. You're agreeing with me.
This is a silly argument because the sample size isnt big enough. This literally just started in the last 24hrs. We will see what the next few years has in store. I stand by my statement, when UM is relevant..endorsements will come aplenty. If this had happened in 2001-2002..1/4 of that team would have gotten endorsements. Ken Dorsey would be turning them down he would have had so many.

Signed one deal huh? LOL. Thats all you got for me with those Fresno State chicks? D'Eriq signed 3-4 in less than a day including one for the Wharf..and you dont think its because hes in Miami and the buzz surrounding the program this coming season??? So if we were slated to go 4-8 and were preseason unranked..you think he still gets the same deals? I think not.

Bubba Bolden got a deal too. So its not just King getting deals.

If it was based on how good a team is expected to be, we would have players lining up deals all day, while two girls at Fresno State would have nothing. That's not how marketing works.

Advertisement
Back