Kings NIL business

This is a silly argument because the sample size isnt big enough. This literally just started in the last 24hrs. We will see what the next few years has in store. I stand by my statement, when UM is relevant..endorsements will come aplenty. If this had happened in 2001-2002..1/4 of that team would have gotten endorsements. Ken Dorsey would be turning them down he would have had so many.

We have four decades of evidence that people in South Florida don't know that UM even exists unless we're top 5 and playing another top 5 team.

Advertisement
NCAA has been ******** players for years, but now that players get some action around THEIR NAME, IMAGE and LIKENESS, that’s what’s going to ruin the college football we all love???

Some of y’all kill me

1625172262130.png

Really? Two female basketball players from Fresno State (17-11, 1-1 in WNIT) signed a deal with Boost Mobile. And I don't see a whole lot of other deals being made with any Miami football players. King is getting deals because he is D'eriq King, not because Miami might have a decent season.
Have u seen those girls? They got that deal bc they are bad and have like 3M followers on TikTok. The fact they can hoop is just a bonus.

I don't see Spencer Rattler or Sam Howell with 4 deals and they are both bigger names than King.

Bigger markets play a role.

Have u seen those girls? They got that deal bc they are bad and have like 3M followers on TikTok. The fact they can hoop is just a bonus.

I don't see Spencer Rattler or Sam Howell with 4 deals and they are both bigger names than King.

Your first sentence is exactly the point. Athletes who are well known are going to get deals, no matter what market they are in. People are dismissing Birmingham as some little podunk town, but their players are known. Just like the girls in Fresno.

Let's pump the brakes on pointing out that Rattler and Howell don't have deals yet. I'm glad King was prepping for this and got some regional Camel Chevrolet opportunities, but the big names are certainly going to be cashing in. They didn't have to announce them on July 1.

Advertisement

It isn't only about markets.

Those girls with 3M followers would already have had major deals if they weren't also NCAA athletes. What's changed for them is that they're no longer inhibited by the rules, they get to behave like normal human beings. It's the same for athletes everywhere, kids who the football world barely knows will get big deals because they have an IG with 1-2 million followers. Female players are going to make bank off this in some cases, and no one else will know who they are.

For those types the market is the internet, it doesn't matter where they live or play.

This is good for player’s like Deriq king , He is not going to be good player in the nfl but he can make good money before he even get drafted , imagine how much money Tim Tebow and guys like Johnny manziel would of made before they got to the nfl !
we dont have to imagine.....in the case of manziel...he made it. He was signing autographs for money n doing other sponsorships..its the reason he had no intention on working..he was already a rich kid that made good side hustle money for years.

Is he the only guy that works out on the team? You make it seem like everyone spends their time on the couch. Im willing to bet Zion puts in as much work as King....
Nah, never said that.
Will they be jealous?
Follow his lead (if your not) and you'll be fine.

I agree on Zion.
I also think Zion will get his.
Big time.

Advertisement
Nah, never said that.
Will they be jealous?
Follow his lead (if your not) and you'll be fine.

I agree on Zion.
I also think Zion will get his.
Big time.

Nah, it's not as simple as "work hard and you'll get your deals too". There are plenty of athletes, our players included, who bust their tails and won't make a dime.

It isn't only about markets.

Those girls with 3M followers would already have had major deals if they weren't also NCAA athletes. What's changed for them is that they're no longer inhibited by the rules, they get to behave like normal human beings. It's the same for athletes everywhere, kids who the football world barely knows will get big deals because they have an IG with 1-2 million followers. Female players are going to make bank off this in some cases, and no one else will know who they are.

For those types the market is the internet, it doesn't matter where they live or play.
The point I was making to the person I replied to was that markets play a role. No where did I say it was the sole factor. Internet is a given.

Nah, it's not as simple as "work hard and you'll get your deals too". There are plenty of athletes, our players included, who bust their tails and won't make a dime.
I think most starters will, specifically football, obviously some more than others.
The big uglies may have to do group work, be a little more creative.
I also think King, with his NIL platform, will help the next level guy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Your first sentence is exactly the point. Athletes who are well known are going to get deals, no matter what market they are in. People are dismissing Birmingham as some little podunk town, but their players are known. Just like the girls in Fresno.

Let's pump the brakes on pointing out that Rattler and Howell don't have deals yet. I'm glad King was prepping for this and got some regional Camel Chevrolet opportunities, but the big names are certainly going to be cashing in. They didn't have to announce them on July 1.

Majority of the ppl in the us dont even know where Birmigham is located at...what are you running on about?.
No disrespect but the names you just listed actually have a cap......

a guy like King even if he has a szn like last year ...his ceiling is much higher being in Miami...than in f*ckin chapel hill, birmingham, or wherever the f Oklahoma...you serious?.

Real talk just thinking on a small scale ...these dudes can just host clubs and day parties just from miami to west palm beach and make **** near 6 figures because the INFINITE amount of nightclubs, restaurants, lounges in the area.
For example i lived in the raleigh /durham area for college.....there are more strip clubs on 1 street in Miami gardens (a 3 mile radius) than there is/was in that entire area all the way to Greensboro.

The major city areas ....Miami and LA players are going to run away with this NIL thing ESPECIALLY when winning.

Advertisement
I’ve talked about this before so I’ll say it again. Miami wins and we will be in every state selling merch. Alabama and The frontrunners despite chips and draft picks aren’t selling merch in San Francisco Chicago or nyc. Miami wins and everyone jumps on board. I gurarantee you Nike and adidas are gonna come drop serious coin if we can manage to get Into the playoffs in the next 2 years.

Majority of the ppl in the us dont even know where Birmigham is located at...what are you running on about?.
No disrespect but the names you just listed actually have a cap......

a guy like King even if he has a szn like last year ...his ceiling is much higher being in Miami...than in f*ckin chapel hill, birmingham, or wherever the f Oklahoma...you serious?.

Real talk just thinking on a small scale ...these dudes can just host clubs and day parties just from miami to west palm beach and make **** near 6 figures because the INFINITE amount of nightclubs, restaurants, lounges in the area.
For example i lived in the raleigh /durham area for college.....there are more strip clubs on 1 street in Miami gardens (a 3 mile radius) than there is/was in that entire area all the way to Greensboro.

The major city areas ....Miami and LA players are going to run away with this NIL thing ESPECIALLY when winning.
It doesn't matter if people know where Birmingham is. It matters if people in Birmingham will pay endorsements to players. We know they will.

You can predict all the clubs and parties you want, but Miami is still a big league city. We will occasionally have a name big enough to command the regional deals we've seen today. But those will be few and far between and hardly enough to change what is happening on the football field.

Advertisement
Back