King back throwing in April

Advertisement
During rehab? I had 2 of these and any braces after a few months came off before therapy and back on after ice and stim.

Well I’m not a physical rehab tech, so I don’t know what they do and don’t do, but he’s got a lot of weight on that knee if he gets out of that position. I was just thinking that any situation where you’re going to put an extra strain or weight on your knee you might want a brace, but what do I know. I blew out a knee and never put on a brace, I pretty much didn’t do anything special with it, but I wasn’t going play college football either. It already happened to me as an adult.

Anyone that’s had a similar injury and surgery - is King well ahead of schedule enough where he could possibly do actual throwing with the WR’s who wish to participate over the Summer? Or will he be pushing it to do so at the start of Fall camp?

Anyone that’s had a similar injury and surgery - is King well ahead of schedule enough where he could possibly do actual throwing with the WR’s who wish to participate over the Summer? Or will he be pushing it to do so at the start of Fall camp?
I’m only going off my own experience recovering from ACL (I had the former Pacers surgeon right before he retired a few years back), but there was a very detailed schedule of things you could do and what week you can start doing them (you would of course get checked to see if you’re on schedule). I believe golf was a month 4 okayed activity for me. I tore my ACL in November so that was irrelevant to me, but the weight transfer is similar to the weight transfer you would have to do to throw so perhaps relevant here.

on the brace, doctors vary. I looked into the Donjoy braces, but was talked out of it by my surgeon who just encouraged being adamant about rehab. The thinking on those against the brace is that you become reliant on it if you use it too much. The case for it is obvious that it provides support. I had 100 percent functionality by month 9 and never use a brace when I play soccer.

Based on my experience of being ready by month 9 despite being 29 and going cadaver over graft (which is generally considered a slower process than if you use your own patella tendon), I fully expect King to be 100 percent by Alabama, that’s a full 8 months. The rehab process is so goal oriented that a gym rat will kill it.

Advertisement
Well I’m not a physical rehab tech, so I don’t know what they do and don’t do, but he’s got a lot of weight on that knee if he gets out of that position. I was just thinking that any situation where you’re going to put an extra strain or weight on your knee you might want a brace, but what do I know. I blew out a knee and never put on a brace, I pretty much didn’t do anything special with it, but I wasn’t going play college football either. It already happened to me as an adult.
Yeah, you can walk around with a torn ACL without a brace, it just feels weird for lack of a better way to put it...unstable of course. Those types of exercises normally (at least for me)
I’m only going off my own experience recovering from ACL (I had the former Pacers surgeon right before he retired a few years back), but there was a very detailed schedule of things you could do and what week you can start doing them (you would of course get checked to see if you’re on schedule). I believe golf was a month 4 okayed activity for me. I tore my ACL in November so that was irrelevant to me, but the weight transfer is similar to the weight transfer you would have to do to throw so perhaps relevant here.

on the brace, doctors vary. I looked into the Donjoy braces, but was talked out of it by my surgeon who just encouraged being adamant about rehab. The thinking on those against the brace is that you become reliant on it if you use it too much. The case for it is obvious that it provides support. I had 100 percent functionality by month 9 and never use a brace when I play soccer.

Based on my experience of being ready by month 9 despite being 29 and going cadaver over graft (which is generally considered a slower process than if you use your own patella tendon), I fully expect King to be 100 percent by Alabama, that’s a full 8 months. The rehab process is so goal oriented that a gym rat will kill it.
For any running position, anyone who has had this injury knows that the medical staff’s thumbs up might not even be half the battle. The psychological aspect will be the biggest and I believe King is strong in that department, though I guess we will see...

The one thing I don’t want to see is some typical Diaz type move to protect him by making a dual threat QB one dimensional.
if the ability to escape and/or create with his feet just isn’t ready by Alabama, we need to go with TVD until such time that he is ready...JMO.

Yeah, you can walk around with a torn ACL without a brace, it just feels weird for lack of a better way to put it...unstable of course. Those types of exercises normally (at least for me)

You’re telling me. It feels unstable is how it feels. And it hurts. And you limp for a while - several weeks

Advertisement
He's, what. almost 3 months since surgery? Yeah, he should be doing all of this that he's doing. He's right on track, if not a little ahead. He probably wears the brace when he's not doing any rehab.

That’s what I was thinking. Seems awfully early to be working out without a brace.
Because he was never actually hurt. This is how he's going to head out to the coin toss against Baga:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back