Key stat on pass defense

Don't think that number is as helpful on its own as it is next to overall YPP and 3rd down stop %. Our defense's 41st ranking in YPP and 49th ranking in 3rd down % combine to tell me "why push the ball down the field in large chunks when we can slice up this defense as needed?" Relatively speaking, of course. Those stats - all used together - tell the story of a defense with multiple holes in it. Way more holes than we should have. There are other statistics to back up our defense's underperformance, too.
@ALLoverCANE, curious to read your disagreement. You believe those statistics add up to what?

Advertisement
I would like to see a comparison of defensive stats from 2005 or so vs. today. What would qualify as a good defense today would be a train wreck back then.
In 2009, 179 ypg allowed put you at 20th in the country.
If you can do that in 2020 you're top-10 pass D material.

@ALLoverCANE, curious to read your disagreement. You believe those statistics add up to what?
I mostly disagree with the "than we should have" part.

I somewhat disagree with the assertion that teams are forgoing big plays in order to dink and dunk us down field. Big plays are critical and all teams want them. We've done a solid job preventing them, and we shouldn't be penalized for that.

But where I really disagree is that this is an underachieving bunch. This isn't a super talented and experienced defense. We're likely among the top 25-35 defenses in the country, and that seems about right for this unit. Our DL features high level recruits (Phillips, Nesta), and is our strongest position group. Our LBs are mostly 3 stars, and they play like it.

I think in all-in-all, it's a pretty good defense, and I'm hopeful it'll play well down the stretch.

Adding to my own post lol but it makes u realize that Saban just stopped pursuing Hall when he was locked in. Jobe was locked in but Saban wanted him badly....feels like we got played
Everyone giving up on Gurvan is warranted but I’m not yet seems like he’s either disinterested or diagnosing slowly. But then u see in both FSU games this year and the year before both of those games were his best I would say. Idk what it is but here’s to hoping the switch flips

My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.
UH OH, what's wrong with you man, you over posting FACTS, you know the clown brigade don't like facts, but while we're at it, our secondary is actually in the top 25, when you take into account that alot of yards came from mis-direction throwbacks, passes to the backs, alot of our passing yards given up are in the area of normal linebacker area's but since this staff has the linebackers just floating this will continue to be the caseo.

Advertisement
I mostly disagree with the "than we should have" part.

I somewhat disagree with the assertion that teams are forgoing big plays in order to dink and dunk us down field. Big plays are critical and all teams want them. We've done a solid job preventing them, and we shouldn't be penalized for that.

But where I really disagree is that this is an underachieving bunch. This isn't a super talented and experienced defense. We're likely among the top 25-35 defenses in the country, and that seems about right for this unit. Our DL features high level recruits (Phillips, Nesta), and is our strongest position group. Our LBs are mostly 3 stars, and they play like it.

I think in all-in-all, it's a pretty good defense, and I'm hopeful it'll play well down the stretch.
Yeah, we definitely disagree.

Foregoing big plays comment: my "question" wasn't to say teams are necessarily avoiding big plays. Only that they don't need to risk them because it's clear they get what they want against us and move the ball - we're 49th in 3rd down stop %, 41st in YPP, 40th in scoring. Mediocre numbers, at best. We're 74th in the NCAA in allowing teams into the redzone. We're clearly bending. We're 52nd in RZ stop %. We're breaking too often, too.

Talent: Relative to other defenses performing the same or better - as seen in metrics and just by watching our games - we have a talented defense. I don't know what you expect in order to have a "super talented" defense. Is it Bama? No. But, it's packed with high level recruits, though you have seemingly narrowed that definition to only 5 star players (you mentioned Phillips and Nesta). Our DL talent is better than all but maybe 1-2 teams in the ACC. Our LBs are mostly 3 stars, yes. Our DBs are 4 star players. Have you reviewed what other teams trot out there?

My post wasn't to say the defense has performed horrendously, but it was to plainly state I think they're capable of more. And, from where I'm sitting charting their plays, it has less to do with ability (relative to other teams playing the same offenses).

We disagree on what our defense is capable of doing. Mind you, I'm not hoping for "elite" or even solidly above average. Just better than what a lot of those numbers I listed indicate. No big deal. Appreciate the discussion.

They’re different kids. Everyone knew jobe was gone play.
Jobe was my favorite that class but died to me....but I understood why bama went all in. They make sure when it comes to skill positions they pay top dollar....but they wait till two weeks before signing day to show their hand.

Gurvan still has time. He’s not a heady player like Jaquan Johnson who gets it right away. Still a little slow to pull the trigger. Hopefully he finishes strong and carries some confidence into 2021.
Our best defense was when Jaquan the turtle was manning safety. People were stuck on his speed and size but he was a really good player here. Which allowed manny to do whatever he wanted scheme wise. JJ sniffed almost everything out , very heady player. He also covered up **** ups by other players.

He was a good enough athlete with unreal sense of the game. Very intelligent players are a must in this system , especially at Mike and Safety.

Advertisement
If you just read this board, you’d think we were worse than last year and 1 of the worst teams in the country. It’s kind of amazing, even though I predicted all off season to the “just win” crowd that we would win plenty and the Cane/Manny haters would then just start to pick apart and complain about the W’s.

Our defense is ok, has proven it can be better than it is this year but it’s not the abomination you all like to act like it is. I laugh at people dismissing the stats bc if they supported their position that we are the worst team in the country, they’d be jerking off to them.

I’d really like our fans to start watching games involving other teams bc defenses are getting cooked all across the country. They act like everyone else is giving up 100 yards passing a game or some shït.

And to the “fans” cherry picking some stats to try and prove we’re terrible on defense need to take into account that a good amount of teams have played less than half the games that we have and have played a lot, or all, of their games in conditions that weren’t optimal for passing in but carry on.

I’m interested to see what the offseason is going to look like on this board. If we close the season 10-1 or 11-1 with a bowl win, will most of our “fans” still be on here trying to convince everyone that we still actually suck? My money is on yes.

And to the “fans” cherry picking some stats to try and prove we’re terrible on defense need to take into account that a good amount of teams have played less than half the games that we have and have played a lot, or all, of their games in conditions that weren’t optimal for passing in but carry on.

I’m interested to see what the offseason is going to look like on this board. If we close the season 10-1 or 11-1 with a bowl win, will most of our “fans” still be on here trying to convince everyone that we still actually suck? My money is on yes.
I don't know if some of those comments are directed at me (since I'm posting a number of stats in support of a non-rosy view of the defense's performance so far), but I basically challenge the entire message. First of all, many of us aren't trying to "prove" we're "terrible" any more than D$'s original post tried to "prove" a positive aspect of the defense. Secondly, if any of the stats used to support positions are "cherry picked," it's a singular stat instead of a cluster of stats used together. So much more can be written, but I'll leave it at the fact it does not have to be "horrible" or "great." We can be mediocre or anything in between. Hopefully, if we get to play them, the last three games show a different brand of defense than what we've seen so far.

Our best defense was when Jaquan the turtle was manning safety. People were stuck on his speed and size but he was a really good player here. Which allowed manny to do whatever he wanted scheme wise. JJ sniffed almost everything out , very heady player. He also covered up **** ups by other players.

He was a good enough athlete with unreal sense of the game. Very intelligent players are a must in this system , especially at Mike and Safety.
At some point, you either have to recruit for it or adjust your coverages to fit your personnel. Agree many of the coverages we see require a significant amount of communication and diagnosis that our players either aren't strong at yet or have not been coached to develop. Which may be one reason why you see a better [physical] athlete like Hall (relative to JJ) seem "slow" - it looks a lot more like tentativeness to me. Playing Safety in this system brings a ton of pressure and responsibilities.

Advertisement

It seems like the current player you hear this most about is Frierson. Any chance he moves to S next year and let Smith start at striker?

Stats can be misleading : if i was a offensive coordinator, my biggest concern is our DL, how best to counter that quick passes to our RB and TE, considering how bad our linebackers are : When we lost to Clemson i don't remember Clemson beating us over the top : lots of bubble screens, slants and quick outs : they nickel and dime us to death :

Advertisement
Back