Key stat on pass defense

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gurvan went to bama he would be that player we hoped he would've been here. Its all coaching . Hes being coached by a bartender for goodness sake
Perry Eliano or Fran Brown for DC. Let them bring in their own staff.

Manny has to divorce himself from that side of the ball and fully embrace the CEO role where he absolutely would thrive.

@DMoney

To get us to where we want to be, do we take Zone or Man corners?

Zone being from the DJ Ivey/Michael Jackson archetype.

Man being the Al Blades, TeCorey Couch archetype.

Advertisement
@DMoney

To get us to where we want to be, do we take Zone or Man corners?

Zone being from the DJ Ivey/Michael Jackson archetype.

Man being the Al Blades, TeCorey Couch archetype.
This is a good question. Based upon the way Manny wants to play up front, you would think he would want man corners, but it seems like he winds up taking zone corners and hoping they can play man.

My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.
Having DB's that turn their head and at least attempt to make a play on the ball would be very helpful.

From my eye test there is only a hand full of teams Defenses I would rather have than ours.

Nobody is really dominant on that side of the ball anymore due to stupid penalties and rules that only favor the offense.
I would like to see a comparison of defensive stats from 2005 or so vs. today. What would qualify as a good defense today would be a train wreck back then.

There's no doubt in my mind that many here still view passing yards and points as the indicators of whether the D played well or not. I watched some of the OSU-Indiana game this weekend and Penix throw for 491. But OSU still won. I think in today's landscape with spread, pass-happy offenses that typically run 70+ plays/game, there has to be new measuring sticks to assess a D's performance. 5 years ago 491 passing yards get the DC fired!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gurvan went to bama he would be that player we hoped he would've been here. Its all coaching . Hes being coached by a bartender for goodness sake

Ridiculous assertion. He’d be more or less the same player he is here. That’s my opinion.

Our safeties have generally played above their projection or talent measurables the last few years (Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine) but it’s nice to make up fantasy hot takes.

It is not ALL coaching at all.

Sometimes people don’t have the talent, the work ethic, the motivation, or combination thereof, even though they were highly rated coming out of high school.

Sometimes it just doesn’t click, it doesn’t matter what program it is.

And sometimes it actually is the coaching. So you’re so sure it’s the coaching and he’s not being coached up, but he would have at Alabama? He’d be a star at Alabama?

Tell me what is it about him that is not being developed?

You don’t even know, you’re just pulling that opinion straight out of your ***.

Ridiculous assertion. He’d be more or less the same player he is here. That’s my opinion.

Our safeties have generally played above their projection or talent measurables the last few years (Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine) but it’s nice to make up fantasy hot takes.

It is not ALL coaching at all.

Sometimes people don’t have the talent, the work ethic, the motivation, or combination thereof, even though they were highly rated coming out of high school.

Sometimes it just doesn’t click, it doesn’t matter what program it is.

And sometimes it actually is the coaching. So you’re so sure it’s the coaching and he’s not being coached up, but he would have at Alabama? He’d be a star at Alabama?

Tell me what is it about him that is not being developed?

You don’t even know, you’re just pulling that opinion straight out of your ***.
Yep. Sometimes people can't wrap their heads around the fact that sometimes just because two players have the similar measurables, they are not necessarily going to be similar players. Some players are just better than other players.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back