Key stat on pass defense

Jesus, I thought we put the idiotic "bartender" posts out to pasture already?

Bartending is not an easy job. You need math skills, people skills, you need to stay organized, be able to focus in chaos, and stay cool in a myriad of situations. Your effort = what you make. Many very, very successful people bartended or waited tables when they were younger. If you have those skills, and ambition, you will probably do well in life.

Banda worked his *** off, bartending at night to pay his own way in the world and put himself through school.

"He tried out bartending and realized he was really good at it -- and that he could make enough money to cover the cost of his classes and living expenses."

I wonder how many of the people making fun of him for "bartending" when he was in college make half of what he's been able to do for his family? I wonder how many of them have his work ethic?

"But Banda was determined to still play college football. He got his chance in 2007, when he decided to walk on to a start-up program at Incarnate Word, a small school in San Antonio. He was 25. Because Banda was not on scholarship, he had to keep working his bartender job to pay his bills. 'I wasn't going to ask my dad or my mom,' Banda said. "I took out loans and what I couldn't pay, I had to make the money in the bar. Bartending was the only thing that was open at night after practice to make some decent money to pay the tuition."

You know how many of the most powerful figures in entertainment... I mean billionaires too, started out in the mailroom?

Anyone making fun of Banda for bartending his way while he earned his American dream is a straight up fool.

This is your best post ever. It’s ridiculous for people to shît on someone who came from nothing or not much or simply started wherever they had to in order to do what they can to do better for themselves and their family.

Advertisement
Gurvan went to bama he would be that player we hoped he would've been here. Its all coaching . Hes being coached by a bartender for goodness sake
He prolly would of transferred like Burgess Becker whatever his name was. Gurvans hips and speed look real bad he prolly would of got passed up at bama. I didn't think he was this bad he was my favorite player on defense alot of it is coaching as well I agree....but when that guy from VT ran by him it made me reevaluate him as a player cause that's not coaching.

Opponent yards/PA can be misleading if you run a bend-but-don't break zone-heavy scheme and give up a ton of short-intermediate conversions.

On that note I was surprised to see Miami ranks 43rd in opp. 3rd down conversion rate and 32nd. in opp 4th down conversion rate. Of course the opp. red zone TD rate is solid at 26th in CFB, as expected. So there's nothing to get hysterical about but no reason to celebrate either.

Agree with this. The point wasn't to celebrate the number. I just think we tend to overreact to pass defense because it looks so bad when one of our corners can't find the ball. Teams around the country are getting smoked in the air. We're not great, but we aren't so bad to justify bringing in average Portal corners. We need impact guys.

Overall, we are what the stats say we are: a decent defense in that 35-45 range. There are many reasons, but I think run defense (51st in YPC after finishing 10th last year) is the biggest culprit. We lost two high-quality college LBs and replaced them with a subpar group.

Advertisement
Bama/Clemson/LSUs/Oh St don't play like that. They play tight man coverage and teach their players how to make plays on the ball even if they are running in stride with a WR.

They can play like that because they recruit and pay for first-round corners. Michigan plays a ton of man coverage with lesser athletes and we are seeing the results.

I think we've recruited good DBs under Manny and have mostly gotten good results. All I'm saying we need better athletes to get to that elite tier.

This is your best post ever. It’s ridiculous for people to shît on someone who came from nothing or not much or simply started wherever they had to in order to do what they can to do better for themselves and their family.

People talking down to others saying “go fix my martini bartender“, especially to a guy who is a current coach at a school you’re supposed to be a fan off, that’s cūntrag shltposting at its finest.

I guess I should be ashamed of all the menial jobs I had to work in college so I could have some money in my pocket.

Meanwhile, I’d like to see them post their amazing resumes so we could compare and contrast.

Agree with this. The point wasn't to celebrate the number. I just think we tend to overreact to pass defense because it looks so bad when one of our corners can't find the ball. Teams around the country are getting smoked in the air. We're not great, but we aren't so bad to justify bringing in average Portal corners. We need impact guys.

Overall, we are what the stats say we are: a decent defense in that 35-45 range. There are many reasons, but I think run defense (51st in YPC after finishing 10th last year) is the biggest culprit. We lost two high-quality college LBs and replaced them with a subpar group.
I'm not in the group who freaks out when a corner gives up a play in tight coverage. Anyone who watches enough football the last few years knows that well executed 50/50 balls are tough to stop. LSU made a living on those last year. What bothers me is when I see receivers running into empty zone voids with no reroute, no communication and no urgency, or defenders dropping off well beyond the sticks leaving giant cushions underneath, and then reacting late to close on throws.

The corner issues are way overblown while the scheme enables tons of free yards to the opponent. Compare the Canes/Bucs to the Dolphins/Bearcats and you'll see giant ideological and schematic differences wrt zone vs man, press vs off, 0-man pressure vs 2/3 deep zone pressure. Miami needs to recruit better corners but they also need to find a DC with the balls to challenge college QBs and WRs to beat man pressure.

Advertisement
Lol. Thanks for the post Mrs. Banda.

Now please tell your husband to stop making martinis and get to developing the talent we have at safety. Cuz to this point he hasn’t

Maybe you should take a look at his NFL players before you say something so unbelievably stupid

Lol@ the posters who think Bama has this magic potion on the coaching staff that they just sprinkle on any player and they turn into a first round pick. Where was this elite coaching last year when LSU was dropping bombs on them repeatedly? Sometimes players just don’t pan out like you thought no matter how well you coach them up.

Banda is fine. You want to replace Rumph? Fine by me. But whatever is wrong with Gurvan Hall is on him. It ain’t a coaching issue.

Gurvan went to bama he would be that player we hoped he would've been here. Its all coaching . Hes being coached by a bartender for goodness sake
that bartender did okay with jaquan and rayshawn. he may have his deficiencies but it’s absurd to think hall would be what you imagine at alabama. plenty of highly rated kids go to Bama and wash out.

My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.
Goes to show you can have all the stats, but stats don't tell the story. We need top level recruiting and coaching and we still not there or willing to make the hard decisions re staffing.

Advertisement
My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.

is there a stat for how many times wide open WR dropped passes versus a team?

Miami has let people run wide open and been lucky teams have dropped a crazy amount of passes or QB’s sucked like UAB and PITT and couldn’t event throw the ball.

no way to spin it. This defense is average.

I think we've recruited good DBs under Manny and have mostly gotten good results. All I'm saying we need better athletes to get to that elite tier.

Hopefully Avante Williams, James Williams, Kam Kitchens are the “elite” athletes that get us there at S

But there’s nobody at CB that Rumph has brought in that gives us “elite” Corner potential

I still have doubts if the scheme will ever translate into elite DB play. I just don’t think Manny’s style will ever showcase Safeties or CBs

IMO we need a T Rob or a Corey Raymond type DC who let's Manny run his Front 7 style and they man the DBs

Last edited:
Ridiculous assertion. He’d be more or less the same player he is here. That’s my opinion.

Our safeties have generally played above their projection or talent measurables the last few years (Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine) but it’s nice to make up fantasy hot takes.

It is not ALL coaching at all.

Sometimes people don’t have the talent, the work ethic, the motivation, or combination thereof, even though they were highly rated coming out of high school.

Sometimes it just doesn’t click, it doesn’t matter what program it is.

And sometimes it actually is the coaching. So you’re so sure it’s the coaching and he’s not being coached up, but he would have at Alabama? He’d be a star at Alabama?

Tell me what is it about him that is not being developed?

You don’t even know, you’re just pulling that opinion straight out of your ***.

Someone else's opinion "ridiculous assertion" and in the same sentence disagree with your opinion. I mean....

confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout

Advertisement
So everyone just runs around and does their own thing?
That's not what he means. I believe he is trying to articulate that we are not as flexible as we should be on defense in terms of tweeking or adjusting what we do schematically to better fit the skill set of the players we have at the time.

Advertisement
Back