Key stat on pass defense

Gurvan still has time. He’s not a heady player like Jaquan Johnson who gets it right away. Still a little slow to pull the trigger. Hopefully he finishes strong and carries some confidence into 2021.

Thats not correct.

According to the hot take purveyors here, right now he’d be a starting All American safety at Alabama and a sure fire top ten pick.

Advertisement
I think the coaching on the back end has been fine. More concerning for me has been the lack of numbers. But you look at guys like Jaquan, Redwine, Michael Jackson, Corn Elder, Finley . . . all those guys were legit contributors and got better as they progressed. On this year's team, I'm really pleased with both Frierson and Couch and how each has progressed. (I know Frierson and Finley were technically strikers but both have done well in coverage). We just lack depth. If we can get the right numbers, I have confidence that the staff can field a good secondary.

Gurvan went to bama he would be that player we hoped he would've been here. Its all coaching . Hes being coached by a bartender for goodness sake

The same bartender that turned a relatively lightly recruited DB in Sheldrick Redwine into a solid player in the ACC and eventual 4th round pick?

The same dude that made Rob Knowles very serviceable his senior season?

Some of you dudes were probably *****ing in 2001-2002 that we only won by 28 points. It gets old and mad lame

Ridiculous assertion. He’d be more or less the same player he is here. That’s my opinion.

Our safeties have generally played above their projection or talent measurables the last few years (Jaquan Johnson, Sheldrick Redwine) but it’s nice to make up fantasy hot takes.

It is not ALL coaching at all.

Sometimes people don’t have the talent, the work ethic, the motivation, or combination thereof, even though they were highly rated coming out of high school.

Sometimes it just doesn’t click, it doesn’t matter what program it is.

And sometimes it actually is the coaching. So you’re so sure it’s the coaching and he’s not being coached up, but he would have at Alabama? He’d be a star at Alabama?

Tell me what is it about him that is not being developed?

You don’t even know, you’re just pulling that opinion straight out of your ***.
If i don't know then you dont either. Nobody will know cause he came to UM. But yes he would definitely had better coaching at a place like bama. Our defensive coaches are jokes.

Gurvan would be a lot better if he was allowed to be a true centerfield FS. He’s not a thinker, he’s a see ball get ball. What he’s asked to do has slowed his game down.

Just like we did on offense for decades, we run a scheme and force players into it, we’re now doing it on defense. Plan the scheme around your athletes.

Advertisement
Gurvan would be a lot better if he was allowed to be a true centerfield FS. He’s not a thinker, he’s a see ball get ball. What he’s asked to do has slowed his game down.

Just like we did on offense for decades, we run a scheme and force players into it, we’re now doing it on defense. Plan the scheme around your athletes.

So everyone just runs around and does their own thing?

Gurvan went to bama he would be that player we hoped he would've been here. Its all coaching . Hes being coached by a bartender for goodness sake

Jesus, I thought we put the idiotic "bartender" posts out to pasture already?

Bartending is not an easy job. You need math skills, people skills, you need to stay organized, be able to focus in chaos, and stay cool in a myriad of situations. Your effort = what you make. Many very, very successful people bartended or waited tables when they were younger. If you have those skills, and ambition, you will probably do well in life.

Banda worked his *** off, bartending at night to pay his own way in the world and put himself through school.

"He tried out bartending and realized he was really good at it -- and that he could make enough money to cover the cost of his classes and living expenses."

I wonder how many of the people making fun of him for "bartending" when he was in college make half of what he's been able to do for his family? I wonder how many of them have his work ethic?

"But Banda was determined to still play college football. He got his chance in 2007, when he decided to walk on to a start-up program at Incarnate Word, a small school in San Antonio. He was 25. Because Banda was not on scholarship, he had to keep working his bartender job to pay his bills. 'I wasn't going to ask my dad or my mom,' Banda said. "I took out loans and what I couldn't pay, I had to make the money in the bar. Bartending was the only thing that was open at night after practice to make some decent money to pay the tuition."

You know how many of the most powerful figures in entertainment... I mean billionaires too, started out in the mailroom?

Anyone making fun of Banda for bartending his way while he earned his American dream is a straight up fool.

My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.
Don't think that number is as helpful on its own as it is next to overall YPP and 3rd down stop %. Our defense's 41st ranking in YPP and 49th ranking in 3rd down % combine to tell me "why push the ball down the field in large chunks when we can slice up this defense as needed?" Relatively speaking, of course. Those stats - all used together - tell the story of a defense with multiple holes in it. Way more holes than we should have. There are other statistics to back up our defense's underperformance, too.

Advertisement
I would like to see a comparison of defensive stats from 2005 or so vs. today. What would qualify as a good defense today would be a train wreck back then.

I have back to 2009, which isn't quite the stone age as you're referring to, but still the game was quite different then compared to now. Bama was winning championships with things named Jacob Coker as recently as 2015, so we've come a long way in just 5 years.

But in 2009, Iowa led the country with 5.0 yards allowed per attempt. 14 teams allowed under 6 per attempt. 50 teams allowed under 7 YPA.

In 2019, UGA led the country with 5.5 yards allowed per attempt. Only 5 teams allowed under 6 per attempt. 39 teams allowed under 7 YPA.

So there is a little something to what you're saying. The elites were better 10+ years ago.

So now we’re back to we don’t have good enough players?

Pretty sure all of the following were 4 star all American type talents coming out of high school -

Gurvan Hall
Bubba Bolden
Al Blades
DJ Ivey
T’Cory Couch
Gilbert Frierson

The problem is Manny’s scheme and the DB coaching. Our strategy/scheme is to keep everything in front and make tackles/limit the big play. It's passive/bend don't break on the back end. It’s the reason we play a lot of zone and why the safeties are always lined up so far back.

Bama/Clemson/LSUs/Oh St don't play like that. They play tight man coverage and teach their players how to make plays on the ball even if they are running in stride with a WR.

While Manny says his defense is centered around making it so the players don’t have to think a lot; that might be true only for the front 4. The DBs and LBs play alot of zone coverage where thinking and making the right decision or hitting the right gap is critical. This is also why we don't play young players at LB and S, cause they have to think alot and know the scheme.

Manny might run a Miami defense in the front 4 but the back 7 is basically a D'nofrio defense which is why its boring and frustrating to watch

Last edited:
My favorite stat to evaluate pass defense is Yards per PA. Because it is adjusted per attempt, it doesn't penalize teams for scoring a lot of points and forcing opponents to pass.

Since 2011, three of the national champions finished #1 overall in Yards per PA. Three more were Top 10. The remaining three were Top 25. None of the champions fell past 25th. In the five D'Onofrio years, we averaged a ranking of 63rd. In the past four Manny years, we've averaged a ranking of 18th.

Miami is currently ranked 28th. That is outside of the championship threshold but, surprisingly, #1 in the ACC. Two of the toughest tests (UNC and Wake Forest) are coming up. Miami has already played three Top 30 offenses in yards per PA (Clemson, Louisville and VT).

This isn't to say we're good enough in the back end. We clearly aren't. We lack speed, athleticism and ball skills. The elite teams are on another level. But the numbers tell me we aren't that far away. We just need a couple true impact, Day 1-2 type guys to put us over the top.

unfortunately, there's no such thing as defense in college football anymore. it's glorified 7 on 7 with the offenses having every rule advantage

Gurvan still has time. He’s not a heady player like Jaquan Johnson who gets it right away. Still a little slow to pull the trigger. Hopefully he finishes strong and carries some confidence into 2021.

In the Va Tech game on the play where Gurvan was blitzing and the QB dropped back and slipped, watch Gurvan at the end of that play. He moved gingerly. Something's up either physically or mentally.

Advertisement

Bartending is not an easy job. You need math skills, people skills, you need to stay organized, be able to focus in chaos, and stay cool in a myriad of situations. Your effort = what you make. Many very, very successful people bartended or waited tables when they were younger. If you have those skills, and ambition, you will probably do well in life.

Banda worked his *** off, bartending at night to pay his own way in the world and put himself through school.

"He tried out bartending and realized he was really good at it -- and that he could make enough money to cover the cost of his classes and living expenses."

I wonder how many of the people making fun of him for "bartending" when he was in college make half of what he's been able to do for his family? I wonder how many of them have his work ethic?

"But Banda was determined to still play college football. He got his chance in 2007, when he decided to walk on to a start-up program at Incarnate Word, a small school in San Antonio. He was 25. Because Banda was not on scholarship, he had to keep working his bartender job to pay his bills. 'I wasn't going to ask my dad or my mom,' Banda said. "I took out loans and what I couldn't pay, I had to make the money in the bar. Bartending was the only thing that was open at night after practice to make some decent money to pay the tuition."

You know how many of the most powerful figures in entertainment... I mean billionaires too, started out in the mailroom?

Anyone making fun of Banda for bartending his way while he earned his American dream is a straight up fool.

Lol. Thanks for the post Mrs. Banda.

Now please tell your husband to stop making martinis and get to developing the talent we have at safety. Cuz to this point he hasn’t

In the Va Tech game on the play where Gurvan was blitzing and the QB dropped back and slipped, watch Gurvan at the end of that play. He moved gingerly. Something's up either physically or mentally.
It’s nothing physical.

He’s a good athlete not a good instinctual football player.

If we had another real option at safety Id like to see him at corner. There’s less thinking at corner.

Advertisement
Opponent yards/PA can be misleading if you run a bend-but-don't break zone-heavy scheme and give up a ton of short-intermediate conversions.

On that note I was surprised to see Miami ranks 43rd in opp. 3rd down conversion rate and 32nd. in opp 4th down conversion rate. Of course the opp. red zone TD rate is solid at 26th in CFB, as expected. So there's nothing to get hysterical about but no reason to celebrate either.

This but its not even who his position coach is, it's Manny's scheme for Safeties/DBs

He plays a bend don't break, keep everything in front of you defense - very D'norofrio esk

The Safeties are always lined up so far back unless they are blitzing. It's why we see them miss tackles, take bad angles, get run over, are late to make a play or impact a deep throw. Manny makes them cover alot of ground and if they take a misstep there's no recovering

We just need better athletes. Ohio State, Alabama and LSU have freaks. We’ve pursued those guys but haven’t signed them.
Those freaks get exposed everytime they play a legit passing offense too when you think about it. I generally agree with this consensus though. See LSU dbs multiple times the last few years, bama dbs vs passing offenses recently and Ohio state game vs a good qb like Michael penix at Indiana

This but its not even who his position coach is, it's Manny's scheme for Safeties/DBs

He plays a bend don't break, keep everything in front of you defense - very D'norofrio esk

The Safeties are always lined up so far back unless they are blitzing. It's why we see them miss tackles, take bad angles, get run over, are late to make a play or impact a deep throw. Manny makes them cover alot of ground and if they take a misstep there's no recovering
^
Was just talking to my brother and he pointed out the scheme. Put Gurvan on a team with better coaching and a better scheme he would be a top safety

Advertisement
Back