Kevin Harris to Bama

I agree with this and this is why fans should know it's simply unrealistic to think Clemson paid off their 4 potential 1st round D-Linemen to stay for 2018. If Bama's budget is a conservative $3M, Clemson's is maybe $2M. Even if it's $3M, Clemson would be devoting its entire bag money fund to just four players. And each guy would be getting ~$750k, a drop in the bucket compared to what they'd make their first year as an NFL 1st round rookie. Yes, bag money is non-taxable. But even the last pick of the first round - Lamar Jackson - is expected to get north of $5M in signing bonus alone. If a guy is taken top 10, that should exceed $10M.

Bottom line: guys are getting paid to attend these schools. But let's be real and recognize no school has the bag money to keep four first round picks in school another year. It simply isn't logical.

maybe it's more than bags that keeps them there, i'd imagine these guys live like kings at that school. On top of that they make close to 6 figures? While not having to attend class, while probably doing whatever the flying **** they wanna do?

Yeah they'll make more on the NFL level, but they also ain't getting away with the stuff they can at the university at the nfl level

Already making bank? check
live like a king? check
not under the huge responsibility of the nfl teams? check

this doesn't need to be said but, once you make the nfl you haven't "made it" unless your goal is that one single pay check. Teams demand a lot out of you, a lot of responsibility. Might even be why teams like fsu and the gators have so many **** busts at that level.

Advertisement
maybe it's more than bags that keeps them there, i'd imagine these guys live like kings at that school. On top of that they make close to 6 figures? While not having to attend class, while probably doing whatever the flying **** they wanna do?

Yeah they'll make more on the NFL level, but they also ain't getting away with the stuff they can at the university at the nfl level

Already making bank? check
live like a king? check
not under the huge responsibility of the nfl teams? check

this doesn't need to be said but, once you make the nfl you haven't "made it" unless your goal is that one single pay check. Teams demand a lot out of you, a lot of responsibility. Might even be why teams like fsu and the gators have so many **** busts at that level.
Here is where we'll have to agree to disagree. Making "close to 6 figures" and making north of $5M in signing bonus alone aren't in the same ballpark to me. Plus, there's always the risk any one of them underperform this year and go from a pre-season 1st round grade to something significantly less (see Kaaya, Brad).

Racist much?? Thats like a black player going to Wyoming and me asking if they have Watermelon farms or somewhere to break dance.

Im pretty sure they have watermelon farms in Wyoming.

Also Polynesian people are black.

Here is where we'll have to agree to disagree. Making "close to 6 figures" and making north of $5M in signing bonus alone aren't in the same ballpark to me. Plus, there's always the risk any one of them underperform this year and go from a pre-season 1st round grade to something significantly less (see Kaaya, Brad).

Of course bag money didn’t keep them an extra year. That would be ludicrous.

That wouldn’t make financial sense.

I would argue, though, that without bag money, they would have been more likely to leave. It’s possible the bag money gives them a little cushion to take the risk and enjoy the last year. Maybe improve their draft status a little. Plus who knows how else the pot was sweetened with insurance riders.

It would make no sense for them to stay without some bag money, at least in their minds, to help their families. That’s one possible explanation.

Might not be able to pay the same amount as they could get in the draft, but could possibly pay enough to make it that there is no pressing family needs which pushes them more to get to the NFL. So they could still enjoy the college experience, still be big man on campus and in town, and be living comfortably.

Advertisement
I thought he looked pretty uncomfortable during the whole thing. His whole family. He doesn't seem like the type to enjoy this much attention.

Whatever happened, happened. Stinks but what can you do.

Getting this kid from Georgia was a big deal for Saban. I don't know if anyone else watched it on the SEC broadcast but they spent a great deal of time talking about both Tennessee and Alabama getting these kids from Georgia. Apparently Bama struck out in Georgia totally last cycle.

Time to move on...

Have heard this story a thousand times. The "good" kid looked conflicted. Or one of the "upstanding" parents looked uncomfortable. At the end of the day IF you're takin the bag you're takin the bag and you ain't no better than the most slimy of recruits and families/mentors.

I think a lot of posters who have commented and read this thread would take the bag.

FACTS!!!! Go to school for free or go to school for free and improve family financial situation? Easy *** choice

Funny how that family financial situation still somehow always manages to remain dire though as the same excuses are then used as to why a kid should declare early for the Draft.

Hey, if a kid or family want to take a bag and are fine with the minimal risk to their eligibility that comes with it since they're going to a "fine" $EC institution of higher learning then more power to em.

However, that doesn't mean the rest of the world and the clean recruits still have to consider them on the same rule abiding plane or not call them out. There are benefits and consequences to every decision. You take a bag under the current rule structure then you and your family are dirtier than every other kid that didn't. Period.

Advertisement
My theory:
nick saban isn’t some x and o’s wizard that changed the game of college football. he was complaining about high tempo and spread offenses for Christ sakes.
While we sit here and talk about Camaros and brown paper bags he evolved the bag game to probably include Lloyd’s of London policies and hedge fund money and college prepaid plans for siblings and way more creative And lucrative financiaL measures that make kids and families feel like they’re being taken care of and not being bought.
At the same time he surrounded himself with the best tax attorneys and accountants that make sure sh.t don’t stink and is Teflon coated for non stick. It also doesn’t hurt to be Emmerts boy and have the us attorney general yelling roll tide to the news media.
He probably also has a bunch of trump/Cohen non disclosure agreements to make it all go away if you snitch. The bag game we all assume is going on is 20th century bs from the 80’s. The amount of shadiness that had the occur to Move an entire family from Hawaii would scare away every school in he ncaa but he did it.

My theory:
nick saban isn’t some x and o’s wizard that changed the game of college football. he was complaining about high tempo and spread offenses for Christ sakes.
While we sit here and talk about Camaros and brown paper bags he evolved the bag game to probably include Lloyd’s of London policies and hedge fund money and college prepaid plans for siblings and way more creative And lucrative financiaL measures that make kids and families feel like they’re being taken care of and not being bought.
At the same time he surrounded himself with the best tax attorneys and accountants that make sure sh.t don’t stink and is Teflon coated for non stick. It also doesn’t hurt to be Emmerts boy and have the us attorney general yelling roll tide to the news media.
He probably also has a bunch of trump/Cohen non disclosure agreements to make it all go away if you snitch. The bag game we all assume is going on is 20th century bs from the 80’s. The amount of shadiness that had the occur to Move an entire family from Hawaii would scare away every school in he ncaa but he did it.

You’re fantasizing a little too much, and letting your politics creep in.

Clear your head. 90% of the shlt you’re talking about leaves a paper trail, so most of it is a no go. You can’t enforce a non-disclosure agreement that covers up something illegal. It’s not that complicated.

Everything that’s done is done simply and without a paper trail. Cash, money orders, gift cards, debit cards, anything that can be bought without it being traced back to the original owner. Car leases where others pay. There are other methods as well. Leases and rents, credit card bills, other bills being paid by others with untraceable money orders, cash, things like that. A lot bills being paid off but in ways that can’t be put back on who did it.

In the end, you can’t deny what they’re doing is illegal, because they’re providing gifts and income that are not being reported to the IRS. That’s a crime for the recipient and for the giver as well, although more along the lines of a RICO type conspiracy as well as tax violations. The problem is nobody talks and there’s hardly any paper trail, unlike the complex stuff you’re theorizing about.

There are some families that know it’s wrong, and they don’t take the money. Even if there’s very little chance of being caught, at the end of the day it’s wrong. And maybe just maybe, you’re the family that gets busted for income tax evasion.

The IRS is forgiving if you fudge your home office deduction. If they think they have you on hiding income? They try to fūck you in the ***. Get a lawyer and a good one.

Last edited:
You’re fantasizing a little too much, and letting your politics creep in.

Clear your head. 90% of the shlt you’re talking about leaves a paper trail, so most of it is a no go. You can’t enforce a non-disclosure agreement that covers up something illegal. It’s not that complicated.

Everything that’s done is done simply and without a paper trail. Cash, money orders, gift cards, debit cards, anything that can be bought without it being traced back to the original owner. Car leases where others pay. There are other methods as well. Leases and rents, credit card bills, other bills being paid by others with untraceable money orders, cash, things like that. A lot bills being paid off but in ways that can’t be put back on who did it.

In the end, you can’t deny what they’re doing is illegal, because they’re providing gifts and income that are not being reported to the IRS. That’s a crime for the recipient and for the giver as well, although more along the lines of a RICO type conspiracy as well as tax violations. The problem is nobody talks and there’s hardly any paper trail, unlike the complex stuff you’re theorizing about.
I know but it was so James Bond in my mind while I wrote it, got carried away and was about to have saban in a yacht off the coast of Cyprus with a recruit. Could care less about politics btw. But the thought of Alabama going down because of RICO is borderline orgasmic.

Cuban Cane, everybody will say you're just naive if you don't think it's going on but I for one can't believe it's going on to the extent some claim. There's too much that can go wrong. Suppose a kid gets paid and later gets in trouble and he's kicked out of school.Supposed a kid gets offered a bag and still goes somewhere else. Suppose a governing authority or a competing school wires up a kid and records the offer. Lastly, how do you keep these kids from shooting his mouth off. Finally, there are those on this board that say the entire SEC is paying its players.

Who do they report? "Bag Men" "Shadow Boosters" whatever you want to call them, work exclusively in cash and gifts and don't go by their real names. They also aren't employed by the school. These are fans that pool their money and have one contact with a recruit.

Advertisement
I know but it was so James Bond in my mind while I wrote it, got carried away and was about to have saban in a yacht off the coast of Cyprus with a recruit. Could care less about politics btw. But the thought of Alabama going down because of RICO is borderline orgasmic.
I love RICO, by the way. I'm thinking of filing a RICO civil suit against a bunch of people.

The issue with the money is the kid takes it and once he does he is stuck because if he thinks of recommitting they threaten to go public and the kids dreams are over.

Advertisement
The issue with the money is the kid takes it and once he does he is stuck because if he thinks of recommitting they threaten to go public and the kids dreams are over.

This can't be true. Why would they go public with a bag payment? Wouldn't that blow everything up for them as well?

Cuban Cane, everybody will say you're just naive if you don't think it's going on but I for one can't believe it's going on to the extent some claim. There's too much that can go wrong. Suppose a kid gets paid and later gets in trouble and he's kicked out of school.Supposed a kid gets offered a bag and still goes somewhere else. Suppose a governing authority or a competing school wires up a kid and records the offer. Lastly, how do you keep these kids from shooting his mouth off. Finally, there are those on this board that say the entire SEC is paying its players.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past couple years haven't a few former Bama players admitted they recieved benefits and nothing happened?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past couple years haven't a few former Bama players admitted they recieved benefits and nothing happened?

There are literally pictures of this on the internet. Dudes flashing dollars and cars all over the place.

Saban is a good coach, no doubt about it, but Bama spends far and away more money (legal and illegal) vs any other program. Bama had more people working for the football team than they had players. The NCAA has pass a few bylaws over the years specifically targeting some of the things they were doing that was giving them such an advantage.

Advertisement
Back