Kevin Harris to Bama

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-cost-of-attendance-post.html

Miami could probably give the players at least 10k a year in cost of attendance stipends. Would be legit money, not cheating like our sec friends.

The upperclassmen campus apartments are right across the street from Hecht and are very, very nice. The new sophomore dorms coming in 2019 are world class. The towers for freshmen have a lot to be desired. Let's put it this way when we visited on campus last month some of our underclassmen players weren't exactly driving beaters. Won't mention names but they were in pretty nice rides. My understanding is our kids get some type of stipend. How much I don't know? Quite honestly this isn't about our athletes and their campus lifestyle. These SEC schools are dropping money and jobs and benefits to the families. You honestly think that the quarterback from Hawaii whose entire family moved to Tuscaloosa did so without a lot of "help" and promises?

Advertisement
What happens if Grimes refuses to give the money back? The only possible thing I can think of is the OSU alumni refuse to hire him, but unless he plans on being a truck driver I don't see the issue.

Z's post was dumb as ****. You have the two schools talking to OSU can recoup the loss of a player they paid for? Jesus, the amount of **** people come up with it Ridiculous.

Grimes was a Midwest kid from Indiana. Those that follow football there are typically in the OSU or Notre Dame camp. Makes total sense why he went there. STA has had several recruits go there.

Racist much?? Thats like a black player going to Wyoming and me asking if they have Watermelon farms or somewhere to break dance.

Yet that kind of talk is allowed here all the time.

Parents make sacrifices all the time for their kids. They may have wanted to get out of Hawaii for years, but wanted to let the kids get older rather than change their life up.

Does anyone know what parents of the Alabama's QB and now brother verbal do for a living? Does anyone know what their financial situation is?

While it's possible that the family was bought, there are other reasons they could've picked to move their family to Alabama. One big one, it's the best football program in the country. Secondly, the cost of living in Hawaii is much greater than it is in Alabama.

Carry on though, the "everyone is getting bags" line let's you sleep well at night. Toss some insults on whatever young man as well for the final course. This fanbase (the posters here at least) is becoming straight up *****made.

Advertisement
The upperclassmen campus apartments are right across the street from Hecht and are very, very nice. The new sophomore dorms coming in 2019 are world class. The towers for freshmen have a lot to be desired. Let's put it this way when we visited on campus last month some of our underclassmen players weren't exactly driving beaters. Won't mention names but they were in pretty nice rides. My understanding is our kids get some type of stipend. How much I don't know? Quite honestly this isn't about our athletes and their campus lifestyle. These SEC schools are dropping money and jobs and benefits to the families. You honestly think that the quarterback from Hawaii whose entire family moved to Tuscaloosa did so without a lot of "help" and promises?

The freshmen athletes (football players, for sure) live in Mahoney-Pearson. Those are suite type set ups with two adjoining rooms sharing a bath. They aren't anything to brag about either. But they are bigger and there is a kitchen etc on the floor. They are scheduled for renovation after the new construction is finished.

Agreed, these days even a solid commit means little until they put pen to paper. These kids have evolved and learned committing to a program increases their leverage with others. Ironically they are redefining the word commitment as we know it.

On this topic, Rivals put out an article last night within hours of the 4 Grayson kids' commitments - "Who Will Stick?" The short version - they only think 1 for sure will stick (Kenyatta Watson to Texas), possibly Harris (Alabama, although they note UM and LSU will pursue) and the other two not so much. Ridiculous. Why even bother? Seems like it's just to raise the stakes

The freshmen athletes (football players, for sure) live in Mahoney-Pearson. Those are suite type set ups with two adjoining rooms sharing a bath. They aren't anything to brag about either. But they are bigger and there is a kitchen etc on the floor. They are scheduled for renovation after the new construction is finished.

Good, because M-P is a **** of a lot nicer than the Towers.

Advertisement
Racist much?? Thats like a black player going to Wyoming and me asking if they have Watermelon farms or somewhere to break dance.
That’s bullish!t plenty of cultures love Pineapples and you’re reaching with the surf shop cause surfing is the national sport! Like Mexicans can’t get insulted for saying they love soccer cause it’s not a ******* secret they love soccer the same with Hawaiian/Polynesian people they love surfing!

Cuban Cane, everybody will say you're just naive if you don't think it's going on but I for one can't believe it's going on to the extent some claim. There's too much that can go wrong. Suppose a kid gets paid and later gets in trouble and he's kicked out of school.Supposed a kid gets offered a bag and still goes somewhere else. Suppose a governing authority or a competing school wires up a kid and records the offer. Lastly, how do you keep these kids from shooting his mouth off. Finally, there are those on this board that say the entire SEC is paying its players.
Thats what im saying its kinda hard to believe that this happens as often as ppl on here say it does

Advertisement
Thats what im saying its kinda hard to believe that this happens as often as ppl on here say it does

You don’t have to suppose.

Is it every player on every team in the SEC? Of course not.

Alabama and Georgia are the worst. With other SEC team is behind them like Florida, Mississippi, Mississippi State, not Vanderbilt etc.

My guess would be that probably Georgia and Alabama might have around 20-30 players each that they’re paying a bundle. All handled by boosters. I would say the booster payoff budget at Alabama is around $3 million per year, conservatively. That’s peanuts, for what it returns on the investment.

People have tried to rat the SEC out and it just falls on deaf ears.

Just google the Auburn players that admitted on an HBO sports program, they were paid. Nothing done. Cam/dad and Miss State and Auburn - nothing done. Tunsil and Ole Miss - where’s that at? Numerous SEC players in the NFL have openly talked about it, they’ve actually been quoted.

Or there are posters here that personally know guys they played with. As do two guys I personally know.

The fact is, those are the ones that have talked. Most people don’t want to snitch and I don’t blame them. I’ll never rat on my friends. What good would it do them? Snitching usually ends up hurting them in the long run and they know it. There’s very little upside.

Including the fact they’re admitting a source of income for which they now would have to pay penalties, back taxes, and could conceivably go to jail for income tax fraud/evasion or not reporting income at the very least. Theoretically, anyway.

It’s a built in fail safe. Mutually assured destruction. There’s a strong incentive not to report large gifts of cash.

See how that works?

Last edited:
Cuban Cane, everybody will say you're just naive if you don't think it's going on but I for one can't believe it's going on to the extent some claim. There's too much that can go wrong. Suppose a kid gets paid and later gets in trouble and he's kicked out of school.Supposed a kid gets offered a bag and still goes somewhere else. Suppose a governing authority or a competing school wires up a kid and records the offer. Lastly, how do you keep these kids from shooting his mouth off. Finally, there are those on this board that say the entire SEC is paying its players.

It’s been going on forever and probably worse than you’ll ever believe.

Think that CBS and ESPN don't know this? These hypocrites won't report on this because they make huge money from broadcasting the $EC. Meanwhile, they lecture on all sorts of other things.

And let's not even talk about PED use.

I have never seen a network send in someone to stop a huge news story on their network like they did on the draft with Tunsil. Shaq O'Neal use to joke around how it pays to go to LSU.

Advertisement

Alabama and Georgia are the worst. With other SEC team is behind them like Florida, Mississippi, Mississippi State, not Vanderbilt etc.

My guess would be that probably Georgia and Alabama might have around 20-30 players each that they’re paying a bundle. All handled by boosters. I would say the booster payoff budget at Alabama is around $3 million per year, conservatively. That’s peanuts, for what it returns on the investment.

Just google the Auburn players that admitted on an HBO sports program, they were paid. Nothing done. Cam/dad and Miss State and Auburn - nothing done. Tunsil and Ole Miss - where’s that at? Numerous SEC players in the NFL have openly talked about it, they’ve actually been quoted.

Or there are posters here that personally know guys they played with. As do two guys I personally know.

The fact is, those are the ones that have talked. Most people don’t want to snitch and I don’t blame them. I’ll never rat on my friends. What good would it do them? Snitching usually ends up hurting them in the long run and they know it. There’s very little upside.

Including the fact they’re admitting a source of income for which they now would have to pay penalties, back taxes, and could conceivably go to jail for income tax fraud/evasion or not reporting income at the very least. Theoretically, anyway.

It’s a built in fail safe. Mutually assured destruction. There’s a strong incentive not to report large gifts of cash.

See how that works?

Or how about the same reporter that dropped the Nevin article that lead to Miami being under investigation for 3+ years dropped an article on Bama and other SEC schools with evidence and no one heard a peep about it? They had texts, ledgers, emails, and everything and not a single thing happened.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf...e-benefits-to-five-sec-players-202513237.html

How about Bama players signing autographs for money? Make any noise?

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...wo-alabama-players-took-money-autographs-2009

This is the 2nd time this guy has been in trouble selling Bama autographs, he just moved his store and kept going. He is a banned booster due to impermissible benefits and still interacts with players to get autographs. Imagine if we had a banned booster hanging around our player?
https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/travis-controversial-alabama-booster-now-has-bama-memorabilia-business-011614

You can keep going and going and going with news article and report and story, and yet the most Bama has ever had to do was fire some asst. def line coach or something.

See how that works?
I agree with this and this is why fans should know it's simply unrealistic to think Clemson paid off their 4 potential 1st round D-Linemen to stay for 2018. If Bama's budget is a conservative $3M, Clemson's is maybe $2M. Even if it's $3M, Clemson would be devoting its entire bag money fund to just four players. And each guy would be getting ~$750k, a drop in the bucket compared to what they'd make their first year as an NFL 1st round rookie. Yes, bag money is non-taxable. But even the last pick of the first round - Lamar Jackson - is expected to get north of $5M in signing bonus alone. If a guy is taken top 10, that should exceed $10M.

Bottom line: guys are getting paid to attend these schools. But let's be real and recognize no school has the bag money to keep four first round picks in school another year. It simply isn't logical.

Advertisement
Back