Just got off the phone with Spectrum re: ACC Network

YoutubeRed is not that good compared to the Hulu Library. But you have to watch commercials with Hulu unless you pay more.

If all you care about is football games, I think sling and buying an antenna for the local channels is the best bc its only $25.

hulu is free w spotify fyi (reg hulu NOT hulu live tv)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I called Uverse earlier this week and the lady didn’t even know what it was. I hope they get it but didn’t sound promising
They’ll probably get it the same time that the put the NFL Network and RedZone back on...which is never. UVerse is shedding channels like a fall tree sheds leafs

Anyone using the Youtube Live service? Or firestick? I watch sports channels, Discovery, History channel, shït like that. Do you get the standard network channels on either of these platforms?

Are you nuts? I don't "really love cable" and I've certainly never worked for any cable conglomerate. I'm not "trying too hard here".

But D Rev Lee (and others) have given mistaken information about how easy (and cheaply) it will be to get ACC Network from streaming services.

I started the thread to provide information for people who will continue to get their programming via cable, because the news about cable carriage contracts for the ACC Network had been dismal.

And I certainly provided ACCURATE information on the difference between the just-announced Hulu $13/month package and the DIFFERENT Hulu + Live offering, which is $45/month.

If you are just here to slobber over cable-cutting, or you are against accurate information, that's up to you.

I have no dog in the fight. I'm going to do what I'm going to do to get ACC Network. Feel free to start your own fan website for cable-cutters.

I thought you had made comments before in other threads about not understanding the cable cutting and how amazing cable is. If that was someone else then I apologize.

I do agree that D Rev Lee set in some confusion. I was one of the ones confused until I did research. Even made comments in this thread how ESPN + will not be enough. Might not even cover any games for UM football this season unless things go badly.

I am not some "everyone needs to cut the cord person". Just did a lot of research on it for myself personally. For my situation I think it is the best. If someone wants most of what cable offers then they are probably best sticking with cable as trying to put bits and pieces from different services is going to come out the same. With cable companies like Spectrum offering to let you just stream their services and creating apps for it then they become more competitive if you use your own streaming device rather than renting their equipment. I actually find it odd how much people are spending when they have all these different things (see people mentioning having prime, hulu, netflix, cable, hbo, and other stuff all at once). Though it is their money.

The way I read your comment you were saying that the $44.95 was not going to be live streaming but rather have to catch it later on.

They’ll probably get it the same time that the put the NFL Network and RedZone back on...which is never. UVerse is shedding channels like a fall tree sheds leafs

i still dont know if i have CBS. gonna be interesting once football season begins

Advertisement
Anyone using the Youtube Live service? Or firestick? I watch sports channels, Discovery, History channel, shït like that. Do you get the standard network channels on either of these platforms?

YouTube TV has a channel listing. Like many of the cable like streaming services it has some subset of the usual cable channels. You would have to look at it to see if it meets your needs. There are several other popular services you can compare it too like Hulu+ Live, Sling TV, Sony Vue, and probably many more. All their websites have a place to see channel listings.

The fire stick is just a device for streaming so it depends on what you are subscribed to. If you have cable or some service with the games then more than likely you can watch them on the firestick. I know a lot of the channels have an app and spectrum was allowing you to use your login with them to get the apps related to what channels you have.

YouTube TV has a channel listing. Like many of the cable like streaming services it has some subset of the usual cable channels. You would have to look at it to see if it meets your needs. There are several other popular services you can compare it too like Hulu+ Live, Sling TV, Sony Vue, and probably many more. All their websites have a place to see channel listings.

The fire stick is just a device for streaming so it depends on what you are subscribed to. If you have cable or some service with the games then more than likely you can watch them on the firestick. I know a lot of the channels have an app and spectrum was allowing you to use your login with them to get the apps related to what channels you have.

i think he was referring to a modded firestick but not sure.

Advertisement
I thought you had made comments before in other threads about not understanding the cable cutting and how amazing cable is. If that was someone else then I apologize.

I do agree that D Rev Lee set in some confusion. I was one of the ones confused until I did research. Even made comments in this thread how ESPN + will not be enough. Might not even cover any games for UM football this season unless things go badly.

I am not some "everyone needs to cut the cord person". Just did a lot of research on it for myself personally. For my situation I think it is the best. If someone wants most of what cable offers then they are probably best sticking with cable as trying to put bits and pieces from different services is going to come out the same. With cable companies like Spectrum offering to let you just stream their services and creating apps for it then they become more competitive if you use your own streaming device rather than renting their equipment. I actually find it odd how much people are spending when they have all these different things (see people mentioning having prime, hulu, netflix, cable, hbo, and other stuff all at once). Though it is their money.

The way I read your comment you were saying that the $44.95 was not going to be live streaming but rather have to catch it later on.

Nah, man, I hate cable, I would be happy to do something else. I've tried other methods, including satellite, which is problematic in Florida. And my brother is a champion cord-cutter, he has everything, the VPN, multiple streaming devices, etc.

I did say a couple of nice things on the TiVo box. I have tried multiple different DVRs, and TiVo is still the best. Clearly, it depends on one's budget and tolerance level for being locked in.

I'm not mad at anyone, I just don't like when people oversimplify and then other people get confused.

I just wanted to provide some info on how the cable company negotiations/preparations are going.

As for Hulu, if you google right now, this whole Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ package for $14 is the hot news release currently. I currently have both cable and Hulu.

But, yes, there is some confusion over the different levels of Hulu service. I'm not against Hulu, but the Live Programming cost puts you a bit closer to the cost of a cable bill.

What do you cord cutters do for ISP? That always been the biggest issue with me. If you don’t bundle Internet and cable with a provider they usually overcharge you for Internet to compensate. So in the end it was very rarely worth the headache of multiple providers.

What do you cord cutters do for ISP? That always been the biggest issue with me. If you don’t bundle Internet and cable with a provider they usually overcharge you for Internet to compensate. So in the end it was very rarely worth the headache of multiple providers.

Well, obviously you convince a neighbor to not put a password on his/her WiFi network.

Come on, man, you are obviously an amateur among some of these CIS "extreme coupon-ers" who only pay $10 for electricity each month and $5 for their cell phone bills.

for all those with DTV, Uverse, etc -- CBS Is back on your feed. they've made up. i suspect ACCN and those providers will do the same once football approaches.

Advertisement

I'm getting 25 MBPS for 29.99 a month on its own from Xfinity, if I go up to 60 MBPS or higher the price increases significantly.

I have not had any streaming issues with 25 MBPS

I'm getting 25 MBPS for 29.99 a month on its own from Xfinity, if I go up to 60 MBPS or higher the price increases significantly.

and you have a data limit on xfinity where they charge you extra. with ATT, they give you unlimited data if you bundle tv. i know xfinity doesnt do it, but they give you a TB of data monthly. for one tv, it isnt a big deal, but if you have 3-4 screens/computers/etc streaming constantly, you'll run through that data. also, 25 sucks. you should call them bc they def have better deals (for xfinity, i was getting 100).

and you have a data limit on xfinity where they charge you extra. with ATT, they give you unlimited data if you bundle tv. i know xfinity doesnt do it, but they give you a TB of data monthly. for one tv, it isnt a big deal, but if you have 3-4 screens/computers/etc streaming constantly, you'll run through that data. also, 25 sucks. you should call them bc they def have better deals (for xfinity, i was getting 100).

I live in a townhouse with only 1 TV and two computers, so 25 is plenty. I stream in 4K and have never had an issue with streaming.

Advertisement

So I went from paying 140 something for a grandfathered in package where the speed was only 20 mps to paying 60 for only internet at 100 mps. Doing the speed tests I tend to be a little bit faster than what I am suppose to on either one but I am not complaining. They did try to get me to keep cable and I think were offering me a retention price but I don't really use cable or anything like it. Each person is different and if you want the cable experience and have to have certain channels then cable might be cheaper.

From what I can tell the plan price cable companies quote is rather competitive. Once you throw in all the fees and forced equipment rentals it jumps way past the other options. Though you need to do your own research on what you really want, what you are paying, and what your options are. If you already have specifics I could try and help some. Though my biggest suggestion is just cut everything and see what you are truly craving. I thought I had to have 10 different channels and once I just went with prime I didn't care for any of those channels. The only show I miss is Walking Dead.

Also while I had Prime it was originally for shipping. After I started to see all the things included in it for streaming I had even less use for cable. I have never had Hulu or Netflix as I figured I was already paying a ton for cable so no need to pay for this other stuff. Have seen so many people who pay a ton for cable, then also have Prime, Netflix, HBO and other things. If you have all those things you could probably just cut cable, spend your TV time going through that other stuff, and never really run out of new things to watch.

Really, if ESPN offered a streaming service that covered UM games I would go with that rather than looking for some of these options. Whatever option I get I plan to only keep for as long as the season goes.

Awesome. I have Comcast too. Do they throttle you a lot?

Advertisement
Back