Just finished rewatching the VT game. Avantae Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Was an easy TD. Kid could've powerwalked into the endzone. Just an egregious defensive play. Truly awful.
It’s the tendency and teams are scheming for that breakdown and I for the life of me, can’t understand why these dudes don’t play assignment football when you are in Zone. Why chase the eye candy when it’s not your responsibility once they leave your area?

It’s fvking **** you learn in pewee football. I still remember my coverage responsibilities from high school when I was a DB when playing the three basic defenses (Cover 1, Cover 2 & cover 3).

Why?? Because it’s fvking basic defensive football that anyone with 3 brain cells shouldn’t forget.

Bingo. This is the problem in a nutshell. They care more about making a possible play versus playing their assignment.

Agreed..... This is why I prefer players like Kinchens and Jaquan Johnson to the splashier James/Avantae Williams. While they may lack some of the "freakish" physical traits, they make up for it with football IQ/instincts.

no one should be asking why Anantae isn’t playing more.

That was an extremely disappointing performance.

He is the face of what is wrong with this program right now. Highly rated recruits that come in and are either not coached correctly or are just a long way from being good.

Even the fumble he caused was a completion because he went the wrong way and didn’t cover his man.

100000%.

People also feel stupid when premature crowning someone the next big thing and then they have a stumble or backslide—so fans double down.

I recall fans hyping his interception at Pittsburgh last year; Kenny Pickett air-mailing one over his receiver's head into the arms of a falling forward No. 0—as if he were Sean Taylor-eqsue.

Freakish talent, but a top flight defensive back student he is not ... thus far.

Many of them are trying to make the big play, do too much.. They need to stick to their assignments and understand the bigger picture.

I think Avantae wanted to show he deserves more snaps and just totally wildcatted that day... He got lucky...
He may have gotten lucky in terms of the field play but the film doesn’t lie.

Let’s see if he plays much more and I have been advocating for him. But that was garbage on Saturday.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Agreed..... This is why I prefer players like Kinchens and Jaquan Johnson to the splashier James/Avantae Williams. While they may lack some of the "freakish" physical traits, they make up for it with football IQ/instincts.
Except Kitchens has been horrible with multiple coverage busts on deep balls that lost us games.

Our most talented position safety has become an utter disaster, we cant seem to win here.

Can we deduce that Jamile Addae sucks? Frierson and Blades are so bad they can't even get o the field, and now Avantae as well?
Well you also have to factor in his recruiting prowess.

Leaving Get Up GIF by Amuse

I, in no way shape or form, want to criticize Skinner because he looks great

But I keep seeing people say he should be playing over Mallory, yet he’s barely big enough to block and he dropped TVDs best pass on Saturday

It’s such a bizarre phenomenon
I was screaming for Arroyo over Mallory. I dislike Mallory so much but the last two games he has balled out catching the ball wise.

He still got trucked on the Brashard Smith bubble screen that went for like 30 yards.

The way they are using him lately is the best way to use him but somehow they only came to that realization two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can we deduce that Jamile Addae sucks? Frierson and Blades are so bad they can't even get o the field, and now Avantae as well?
I agree!! Not much has improve in the DB room. I would say that Ivey has improved some. He’s been better than last year.

The rest of the DBs have either been the same or gotten worse.

Other areas, defensive players have improved (DL, LB in specifically Flagg).

Advertisement
It amazes me that some of the same people who were clamoring for the young guys to get more playing time, mistakes be damned, are now going with the low football IQ insults.

Make up your **** minds, you’re embarrassing yourselves.

Did the QB have low football IQ for the first 4 weeks when he couldn’t adjust to the new scheme?

I was screaming for Arroyo over Mallory. I dislike Mallory so much but the last two games he has balled out catching the ball wise.

He still got trucked on the Brashard Smith bubble screen that went for like 30 yards.

The way they are using him lately is the best way to use him but somehow they only came to that realization two weeks ago.
Totally agree. Lashlee found a way to make him a weapon

There’s literally a blue print

Also it’s one thing to want Arroyo over Mallory, but people are screaming for Skinner that just doesn’t make a ton of sense, though I think Skinner will be a stud here for sure

Every DB has regressed under this staff. The coaches need to own that.
The ball skills when the ball is in the air is pathetic. Also anticipate too much and jump routes when the ball is not going there.

Oddly their ball skills were much better last year. I wonder if this staff has destroyed confidence in a number of kids and that is what we are seeing? Absolutely happened to TVD.

Its not just AW. Its the entire Safety room. They all gamble way too much. Kam gambles more than any of them. I like their knack for wanting to make a big play..I actually love it..but the difference between Ed Reed and all the other safeties whoever walked the earth is that Ed watched an ungodly amount of film to ensure he never made a mistake...He didnt gamble, he counted cards. (For my blackjack players)
Putting in the work is what Ed says..............and he did with the payoff............great, great Cane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back