Just finished rewatching the VT game. Avantae Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
no one should be asking why Anantae isn’t playing more.

That was an extremely disappointing performance.

He is the face of what is wrong with this program right now. Highly rated recruits that come in and are either not coached correctly or are just a long way from being good.

Even the fumble he caused was a completion because he went the wrong way and didn’t cover his man.
He didn’t even force the fumble. Ivey did. He just happened to be standing next to the play when the ball came out

The safeties and dbs all suck. Gotta hit the portal or hope that guys like Jaden Harris, Graves, Rogers, Markeith Williams, and Balom all take the next step

Very few come out the box ready to be an All American. Maybe he just needs time to learn and get better.

A lot of them seem to need this.

I have not seen it much yet but I still believe this staff can make almost all these players better.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ivey caused that fumble on the first drive imo

virginia-tech-hokies-tight-end-daequan-wright-catches-a-pass-then-up-picture-id1243996137
Nah, Williams actually punched it out and made that happen. Definitely blew the coverage but I won’t ever complain about forcing a turnover

It's weird when people beg for the backup to get in. He gets in, screws up, and all those screaming for the backup disappear or ask for the backups backup
I, in no way shape or form, want to criticize Skinner because he looks great

But I keep seeing people say he should be playing over Mallory, yet he’s barely big enough to block and he dropped TVDs best pass on Saturday

It’s such a bizarre phenomenon

Advertisement
Its not just AW. Its the entire Safety room. They all gamble way too much. Kam gambles more than any of them. I like their knack for wanting to make a big play..I actually love it..but the difference between Ed Reed and all the other safeties whoever walked the earth is that Ed watched an ungodly amount of film to ensure he never made a mistake...He didnt gamble, he counted cards. (For my blackjack players)
Have fundamentals vanished from HS football? Little things like blocking, tackling and the like? You'd think highly-rated kids would arrive at UM having mastered the basics, with their college position coaches just adding to their capabilities.

Old habits die hard. Athletes that age also tend to go back to whats "easiest" when heart rates rise or times get tough. This staff is def not free of criticism but they had spring ball in 1 month of practice. 9 months total that this staff, S&C, nutrion, analysts, etc have had with a roster that went 7-6 last year and without TVD catching fire likely goes 4-8. Its going to be a roller coaster every week but the one thing we def need is a bowl game and those extra practices...esp for all the young guys.

Advertisement
We're all guilty of wanting immediate gratification. He's a third year sophomore but his first year was the COVID year. Then last year he was suspended 6 games (IIRC). And now he has a new staff. There is still a lot of time for him to grow, mature and learn (a la N'Kosi).

The one thing with him that bugs me is he's not been a particularly good tackler. He too often goes for the big hit and misses; and separately, he's not been a particularly good tackler in open space. I believe Roman from OBB highlighted a play against UNC where he was in position against a RB on a run play and he just whiffed badly. Hopefully with time he learns that consistency > splash play.

Why would you rewatch the VT game? I could had told you what happened. But I do agree on Avante.

Many of them are trying to make the big play, do too much.. They need to stick to their assignments and understand the bigger picture.

I think Avantae wanted to show he deserves more snaps and just totally wildcatted that day... He got lucky...
Bingo. This is the problem in a nutshell. They care more about making a possible play versus playing their assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back