Just finished rewatching the VT game. Avantae Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
no one should be asking why Anantae isn’t playing more.

That was an extremely disappointing performance.

He is the face of what is wrong with this program right now. Highly rated recruits that come in and are either not coached correctly or are just a long way from being good.

Even the fumble he caused was a completion because he went the wrong way and didn’t cover his man.
There’s a lot of big egos in the secondary but the performance has not been up to expectations!

Advertisement
It's amazing how positions like QB and safety that were looked at as strengths up until August have not performed well. I expect to see significant turnover from roster and coaching staff at the end of season.
Didn't read all 5 pages, but I'm beginning to wonder if the same problem that plauged the offense is now affecting the defense. Took Gattis like 5 games to start catering the offense to the players. The defense could be similar. Kinda goes back to the whole narrative of our players are just low IQ players. Can't instill a complicated defensvie scheme otherwise they will be thinking too much and missing too many assignments and then apparently forgetting basic fundamentals? James Williams not knowing how to tackle carried over from last year, but this year as far as the basic eye test goes him and Avantae both look like they have regressed?

Obviously it is still a little too early to say, but the front 7 has finally seemed to be 'clicking' some based off of the VT game (not enough of a sample size I know) The secondary still looks lost at times.

Sadly couple players that just don't get it that I thought would be breakout players this year. Looked lost out there.

Didn't read all 5 pages, but I'm beginning to wonder if the same problem that plauged the offense is now affecting the defense. Took Gattis like 5 games to start catering the offense to the players. The defense could be similar. Kinda goes back to the whole narrative of our players are just low IQ players. Can't instill a complicated defensvie scheme otherwise they will be thinking too much and missing too many assignments and then apparently forgetting basic fundamentals? James Williams not knowing how to tackle carried over from last year, but this year as far as the basic eye test goes him and Avantae both look like they have regressed?

Obviously it is still a little too early to say, but the front 7 has finally seemed to be 'clicking' some based off of the VT game (not enough of a sample size I know) The secondary still looks lost at times.
I wouldn't read too much into offense yet. We've also started facing terrible defenses.

Advertisement
no one should be asking why Anantae isn’t playing more.

That was an extremely disappointing performance.

He is the face of what is wrong with this program right now. Highly rated recruits that come in and are either not coached correctly or are just a long way from being good.

Even the fumble he caused was a completion because he went the wrong way and didn’t cover his man.

Legitimate question:
Why do these kids not seem to progress or learn from their mistakes?

Boneheaded or hardheaded?

I fear it's both

When your DB Coach is Toilet water right from jump.., Odds are your DBs will stay mediocre. I called this from the beginning...and his recruiting is as bad. For 1.8 Mill a yr....this MFer can hit the MetroRail asap....

To be fair he's a sophomore and i like that they played him, found out he's not good or not ready, and sat him back down. They tried out other young guys and it did work out very well like Colbie, Wesley, Porter, Kelly, and Anez. I think there are still other young guys who need a shot to see how they'll do in games, mainly the young corners.
Fair point. He didn't play in 2020 and in terms of college experience is still fairly raw. He only played 4 games last year and has been in 6 this season.

He was rated the top safety going into the 2020 signing period, so it's not like Miami got someone that none of the other schools wanted.

Advertisement
the board will always blame the coaches, even when it's clearly the players. We finally have a professional staff, they will play the best players and if someone isn't getting burn then there's probably a valid reason

Reactions: E1k
Many of them are trying to make the big play, do too much.. They need to stick to their assignments and understand the bigger picture.

I think Avantae wanted to show he deserves more snaps and just totally wildcatted that day... He got lucky...
This.....just play sound assignment based football and the playmaking opportunities will come.

I'm firmly in the crowd of letting your most talented kids play and coach them through their mistakes...it will pay off in a huge way.

Our safety play has been extremely undisciplined. 15,jw0,24,7 have all let guys get past them. If those guys played even remotely close to their talent abilities we would have one loss max.

the board will always blame the coaches, even when it's clearly the players. We finally have a professional staff, they will play the best players and if someone isn't getting burn then there's probably a valid reason
No....can't keep throwing the players under the bus, when the coaching is trash. It takes two too Tango, and at 1.8 million a yr, with garbage recruiting, Addae can get to stepping at the conclusion of the yr. If there's anything I know about in CFB....It's DB play and coaching....and ours is underwhelming to say the least.

Advertisement
No....can't keep throwing the players under the bus, when the coaching is trash. It takes two too Tango, and at 1.8 million a yr, with garbage recruiting, Addae can get to stepping at the conclusion of the yr. If there's anything I know about in CFB....It's DB play and coaching....and ours is underwhelming to say the least.

Took him a year to get it right in Morgantown.

UGA wasn't too terrible last year either.

Sometimes it takes more than 5 games for things to click.

Took him a year to get it right in Morgantown.

UGA wasn't too terrible last year either.

Sometimes it takes more than 5 games for things to click.
Nah Man...Georgia's success at DB play last yr can directly be attributed to Kirby...UG gave zero Fs when Addae left...None. And their DB play hasn't skipped a beat.

Advertisement
What in god's name was that angle he took on the throw late that should have been caught for a TD?

Looked like it was his first time seeing a football thrown. Maybe his first time seeing a football, period.
JW 0 has had some head scratchers as well.
Putting our offensive issues aside, Im wondering what the temperament of CIS would be if we had "good" safety play the first 6 games.

It is my assumption that SOME not all players who were not rated highly as others outta hs can become better college players because they have to rely on IQ over athleticism but if you can get t the combo of both it becomes elite

He's the reason a strip was even necessary, due to his ridiculously bad coverage. Plus, Ivey's hit had as much to do with causing the fumble as Avantae stripping the ball.
I was just coming here to say this... Looking back at the game now, IVEY actually caused the fumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back