July 29, 2023 BBQ

Sorry to derail, but I had some surprisingly very good BBQ in Sacramento a couple weeks ago. And the Mexican food I had for lunch was probably the best I’ve ever had

Advertisement
I have friends that have the egg and love it but I've heard the same thing.

Whenever someone asks about what type of smoker they should look at, I tell them to check out what the competition guys use. Nobody uses ceramic or pellet smokers in competition. Not that those options are bad, they're probably more convenient for the home cook but you just don't get the same flavor.

I'd love a badass off set rig that I could do whole hogs on but my budget and yard aren't exactly in that area so I use a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical smoker. It's pretty easy to dial in the temperature with the vents once you get your fire right and it does a great job on anything I can fit inside it.
If you ever worry about the temps dropping because the fire smothers it, get one of these. It really does take a lot of the annoying adjustments out of the equation.

If you ever worry about the temps dropping because the fire smothers it, get one of these. It really does take a lot of the annoying adjustments out of the equation.

That's actually really cool. I usually will break out my leaf blower and just blow through one of the smaller vents if I need to get the temperature up really fast but that's a nice contraption.

Advertisement
That's actually really cool. I usually will break out my leaf blower and just blow through one of the smaller vents if I need to get the temperature up really fast but that's a nice contraption.
I share an offset smoker with my brother-in-law but still only use it a couple times a year. Like you, my week to week smoking happens in on a backyard webber bullet smoker and it works pretty **** well for once you get a feel for it (have to use the pan as a diffuser or it gets too much direct heat).

Thermoworks has a similar device called billows and it makes life so much easier. I already had their digital blue tooth thermometer/meat probe so for $90 bucks I picked up one and could leave the smoker for hours at a time with no babysitting. You should check it out, makes it much more convenient to do longer / overnight smokes on full packard briskets etc. You should check it out.

Wow. Thats a bummer. I can honestly tell you that was some sort of outlier. Everyone knows Pepe's..they are great at marketing their brand. But a lot of the locals will tell you Modern has the better pie. Zupardi's is good as well.
Zupardi’s is money! That tomato pie with just the parmesan cheese ….heaven. My mom likes Modern the best.

Sorry to derail the thread with recruiting talk, Gaby posted an early list of attendees: Judd, Kevin Riley, Lofton, Minaya, Plazz, Cahill Cummings (haven’t heard his name in a while), 2025 Ryan Ghea, big tackle from Wisco, Jaden Perez, QB Luke Nickel

Last edited:
Advertisement
Specifically, the ribs. Their baby backs are the best I’ve ever had. The spare ribs are what he competed with against Bobby Flay. I recommend them for the ribs though not the pulled pork. That’s ok but the ribs are where it’s at in my opinion.

I believe they closed the original one on Boulevard and now just operate the west end location.
There's a Chinese Spot here in Sarasota that has those Chinese Spare Ribs that'll make ya jump up and do the Bossa Nova.....

Good food and Sarasota generally dont belong in the same sentence.
TacoBell.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s too hot outside.. should have gone with a pool party.. or a BBQ/ pool party…

Advertisement
Back