July 29, 2023 BBQ

Advertisement
I can’t believe I’ve missed this entire BBQ thread. South Florida is generally terrible for barbecue but there are a few good spots. Georgia Pig has a really good pulled pork sandwich. Smoke right off Oakland Park on the beach side of the intracoastal is pretty solid. Tom Jenkins is probably the best spot in Broward since Blue Willie’s closed. We ordered some food from La Traila in Miami Lakes the other day. It was pretty nice. Mission is ok. It tastes fine for the most part but you get the tiniest portions. I got a brisket and rib combo and it was two tiny slivers of brisket and two really small spare ribs for like $17.
Agreed ref Tom Jenkins in Fort Lauderdale...

Advertisement
Agree with everything @DTP said.

A stick burner will give you a more authentic, smokey flavor profile, but you've gotta babysit them and keep a close eye on the temp for the duration of the smoke. It takes time to learn those things and they're all a bit different depending on how it's built.

A pellet grill is best for a backyard bbq hobbyist who wants to cook for family and friends but doesn't have the time to dedicate to a stick burner. Just about anyone who is into competition bbq is not going to be using a pellet grill.

I don't think all the different pellet varieties make an ounce of difference. The brand is more important than the type of wood, IMO. Gotta make sure your auger can handle the size of the pellet and try to stay away from brands who use too much filler.

I've got no shame in the brisket and other concoctions I make using my pellet grill, but I'm not trying to pass it off as Franklin's BBQ either.
My son in law gave me his like new Traeger and I'm about 5 smokes in. I'm turning into the backyard BBQ hobbyist lol but have only done ribs and a whole bird. I have used cherry and hickory pellets and really didn't notice that big of a difference like you said. The family and friends I have had over have loved the flavor but you definitely don't get the real smokey flavor like you do with the stick burner. Still chasing the Myron Mixon smoked chicken flavor I had when he briefly opened his restaurant in Wynwood several years ago lol.

Advertisement
Ribs Express in River Run on Miramar Parkway and Palm had the best BBQ in the area.
they been over there since the 1990s.

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Last edited:
I have friends that have the egg and love it but I've heard the same thing.

Whenever someone asks about what type of smoker they should look at, I tell them to check out what the competition guys use. Nobody uses ceramic or pellet smokers in competition. Not that those options are bad, they're probably more convenient for the home cook but you just don't get the same flavor.

I'd love a badass off set rig that I could do whole hogs on but my budget and yard aren't exactly in that area so I use a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical smoker. It's pretty easy to dial in the temperature with the vents once you get your fire right and it does a great job on anything I can fit inside it.
I use a WSM as well. With a Thermoworks fan and controller it can be pretty hands off.

Advertisement
I share an offset smoker with my brother-in-law but still only use it a couple times a year. Like you, my week to week smoking happens in on a backyard webber bullet smoker and it works pretty **** well for once you get a feel for it (have to use the pan as a diffuser or it gets too much direct heat).

Thermoworks has a similar device called billows and it makes life so much easier. I already had their digital blue tooth thermometer/meat probe so for $90 bucks I picked up one and could leave the smoker for hours at a time with no babysitting. You should check it out, makes it much more convenient to do longer / overnight smokes on full packard briskets etc. You should check it out.

I use a WSM as well. With a Thermoworks fan and controller it can be pretty hands off.
I checked out the Thermoworks website and it says you need a "controller" that's purchased separately. What are you guys using?

Advertisement
Zavier Mincey, JoJo Trader, & '25 Bryce Fitzgerald confirmed by 247.

LaWayne McCoy told Noles247 he will probably be at Miami, if not then he'll be at UCF.

Does McCoy have a committable offer? Has to, right?

I mean, do we really care if he comes in as a WR or a DB, and let him compete to land in one or the other positions? Or does he not want to have to fight for a spot against Robinson, Trader and possibly Smith or Wingo?

Does McCoy have a committable offer? Has to, right?

I mean, do we really care if he comes in as a WR or a DB, and let him compete to land in one or the other positions? Or does he not want to have to fight for a spot against Robinson, Trader and possibly Smith or Wingo?

Yes McCoy still has a committable offer. It’s just that Miami isn’t pressuring him to commit as much they used to.

Advertisement
Back