July 29, 2023 BBQ

Advertisement
Some of us on the board were blessed to have some really good BBQ in Richmond.

Buzz and Ned's and Q Barbeque are up with some of the best in the country.

Specifically, the ribs. Their baby backs are the best I’ve ever had. The spare ribs are what he competed with against Bobby Flay. I recommend them for the ribs though not the pulled pork. That’s ok but the ribs are where it’s at in my opinion.

I believe they closed the original one on Boulevard and now just operate the west end location.

I'm right down the street in Charlottesville, I need to check that out

Advertisement
“I see fat people”

IMG_9223.jpeg

Advertisement
@Baba Yaga is a pellet smoker enthusiast. Is there a difference in flavor between pellet and non-pellet? I’d assume there is but that the advantage of a pellet smoker is that the heat is easier to keep going and to regulate temperature-wise???
The main selling point of pellet smokers is that you don't have to do any work. You literally set an electric dial to your preferred temperature and that's it. My brother in law has a Traeger and it's nice. He controls the thing with a phone app. But it ain't the same thing. You can't get a deep smoky flavor like you can with a traditional smoker. The pellets are all very mild.

Advertisement
The main selling point of pellet smokers is that you don't have to do any work. You literally set an electric dial to your preferred temperature and that's it. My brother in law has a Traeger and it's nice. He controls the thing with a phone app. But it ain't the same thing. You can't get a deep smoky flavor like you can with a traditional smoker. The pellets are all very mild.
There are similar issues with the Big Green Egg, possibly because it burns so efficiently.

I’m surprised. I went with the family .., once. After waiting an hour to get a table, nobody liked it. If it’s not Pepe’s or Sally’s the best nearby is Zupardi’s in West Haven.
Wow. Thats a bummer. I can honestly tell you that was some sort of outlier. Everyone knows Pepe's..they are great at marketing their brand. But a lot of the locals will tell you Modern has the better pie. Zupardi's is good as well.

Advertisement
Wow. Thats a bummer. I can honestly tell you that was some sort of outlier. Everyone knows Pepe's..they are great at marketing their brand. But a lot of the locals will tell you Modern has the better pie. Zupardi's is good as well.
I know that. I used to work in New Haven and still live 15 minutes from there. Modern, Pepe’s and Sally’s were always considered the big 3. We went there on my recommendation to try it and were all disappointed.

It must have been a bad day for them.

Last edited:
@Baba Yaga is a pellet smoker enthusiast. Is there a difference in flavor between pellet and non-pellet? I’d assume there is but that the advantage of a pellet smoker is that the heat is easier to keep going and to regulate temperature-wise???
Agree with everything @DTP said.

A stick burner will give you a more authentic, smokey flavor profile, but you've gotta babysit them and keep a close eye on the temp for the duration of the smoke. It takes time to learn those things and they're all a bit different depending on how it's built.

A pellet grill is best for a backyard bbq hobbyist who wants to cook for family and friends but doesn't have the time to dedicate to a stick burner. Just about anyone who is into competition bbq is not going to be using a pellet grill.

I don't think all the different pellet varieties make an ounce of difference. The brand is more important than the type of wood, IMO. Gotta make sure your auger can handle the size of the pellet and try to stay away from brands who use too much filler.

I've got no shame in the brisket and other concoctions I make using my pellet grill, but I'm not trying to pass it off as Franklin's BBQ either.

There are similar issues with the Big Green Egg, possibly because it burns so efficiently.
I have friends that have the egg and love it but I've heard the same thing.

Whenever someone asks about what type of smoker they should look at, I tell them to check out what the competition guys use. Nobody uses ceramic or pellet smokers in competition. Not that those options are bad, they're probably more convenient for the home cook but you just don't get the same flavor.

I'd love a badass off set rig that I could do whole hogs on but my budget and yard aren't exactly in that area so I use a Weber Smokey Mountain vertical smoker. It's pretty easy to dial in the temperature with the vents once you get your fire right and it does a great job on anything I can fit inside it.

Advertisement
Back