JT4

He's got the tools, but does he have the right stuff between the ears? Remains to be seen, but there's reason for concern.

Advertisement
It's also supposed to be the best WR draft class in 2020 that we've seen in many years, if ever. WalterFootball has eight - EIGHT - wide receivers projected to go by the first 34 picks of the draft. That's insane.

Goes pro? Last year Preston Williams put up ridiculous numbers at CSU and still went undrafted with elite NFL measurables. Thomas is staring down the barrel of a 7th round/UDFA draft pick if he foolishly declares.
Preston is absolutely a top 2 round pick talent but he had off the field issues that prevented him going to the combine so his draft stock was affected by several issues

Last edited:
He's a good player but his game is rough around the edges. He has no polish as a receiver. On that long pass his hand technique was horrible as he tried to catch it into his chest like a punt, enabling the defender to reach in and bat it away. You have to attack the ball with your hands out in that situation.

Several posters like @The Franchise argued with me that catch technique is overrated and guys either catch or they don't or some nonsense like that. This was a perfect example of a scenario where technique wins and 'innate catching' loses.

Thomas is also a careless and raw route runner so there are your 2 reasons why he's not as good a football player as he is an athlete.

Advertisement
Preston is absolutely a top 2 round pick talent but he had off the field issues that prevented him going to the combine so his drift stock was affected by several issues
Oh I know his story well. And JT has some off-field issues, too, such as leaving the team and then coming back that NFL execs will flag.

Oh I know his story well. And JT has some off-field issues, too, such as leaving the team and then coming back that NFL execs will flag.
I know Preston personally. Thomas issues are not like his were off the field

Can we do one of those Young Frankenstein style transplants with him and Santana? Seriously, I haven’t given up on him. At least he’s getting more looks. I have to admit, I had to change my underwear when he fair caught that punt with three guys around him.

Advertisement
I know Preston personally. Thomas issues are not like his were off the field
Fair enough, I still think that Thomas may go undrafted next year and that's assuming he puts up much better numbers than he is on pace to do. It's a ridiculously good WR class. Here was a prognostication of Thomas before our season began and he hasn't played well so far this year:

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hands Miami junior WR Jeff Thomas a sixth-round grade.

Thomas (5'10/175) will need a big 2019 season to earn this preseason grade since he has to overcome a small frame and limited early-age production. The junior does offer lots of big-play ability, as his career 18.0 yards per reception average indicates, and he should test well athletically. Thomas is teetering on the Day 3/UDFA borderline if he decides to declare early.

Source: Draft Analyst

Aug 2, 2019, 8:20 PM ET

Fair enough, I still think that Thomas may go undrafted next year and that's assuming he puts up much better numbers than he is on pace to do. It's a ridiculously good WR class. Here was a prognostication of Thomas before our season began and he hasn't played well so far this year:

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hands Miami junior WR Jeff Thomas a sixth-round grade.

Thomas (5'10/175) will need a big 2019 season to earn this preseason grade since he has to overcome a small frame and limited early-age production. The junior does offer lots of big-play ability, as his career 18.0 yards per reception average indicates, and he should test well athletically. Thomas is teetering on the Day 3/UDFA borderline if he decides to declare early.

Source: Draft Analyst

Aug 2, 2019, 8:20 PM ET
And who the **** is tony Pauline? Literally never heard of him. If he wants to get drafted in a good spot then he has to ball period

yea no chance he is here next year, wants the NFL money. Unfortunately he won't accept it'll be 6th/7th/UDFA money until its too late.

Wasted potential

Advertisement
I'm glad he's back. He ain't making the big plays right now. However, as others have mentioned he made a couple huge chain moving plays. Outside of Osborne, this WR core has been very underwhelming and it's baffling imo. Glad we have Brevin.

Advertisement
And who the **** is tony Pauline? Literally never heard of him. If he wants to get drafted in a good spot then he has to ball period

I feel you but if the draft was today he’s still going 6-UDFA.

If his numbers aren’t there he should stay but we all know he’s going to leave. Thomas off field issues in light of the whole AB saga will be looked at and not particularly cared for.

Which is the only reason I think he should stay regardless at least get the degree in case you don’t stay in the league long.

People always say “oh but they can always return”

Buddy I know quite a few athletes college and pro football 90% of them cats don’t go back for the degree.

He's a good player but his game is rough around the edges. He has no polish as a receiver. On that long pass his hand technique was horrible as he tried to catch it into his chest like a punt, enabling the defender to reach in and bat it away. You have to attack the ball with your hands out in that situation.

Several posters like @The Franchise argued with me that catch technique is overrated and guys either catch or they don't or some nonsense like that. This was a perfect example of a scenario where technique wins and 'innate catching' loses.

Thomas is also a careless and raw route runner so there are your 2 reasons why he's not as good a football player as he is an athlete.
I’ve coached receivers for years and I’ve observed his route running to be poor as well.

Would help if we didn’t turn him and Harley in to possession guys. We remain the only team in major college football incapable of scheming our best receivers open.

Advertisement
Back