Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
People will get all worked up about this article because Barry Jackson wrote it, but it seems to make sense of the situation and doesn’t really provide any new info.

- Mario hasn’t fired Gattis because Gattis’ buyout is high and he’s giving Gattis time to find a new gig.

- What happens if Gattis can’t land a new job? This is where I sort of disagree with the article. I doubt Gattis is coming back in some demoted role. He hasn’t been on campus in weeks and isn’t recruiting. If there was a chance he’d come back in a demoted role (just WR coach), he’d still be on campus and recruiting. He’s probably gone.

- This article is good news. It confirms that Gattis will not be our OC next year. At best, he’s not on our 2023 staff. At worst, he’s a WR coach with no play calling duties. Both are much better outcomes than the status quo.
He’s a malcontent with the staff and players alike. He’s not coming back.

@Cribby right now:

1674591905387.gif

Advertisement
sure, it’s so easy to mischaracterize what you said…its not which Is why I used a screenshot instead of just quoting a word or phrase like I did previously. And no one but you is conflating offense and wins, most likely because they realize defense, turnovers and ST also play a huge role in wins vs losses

Annnd, right there, you've mischaracterized what I said. I never conflated offense with wins, that's a fake accusation from you.

I am pointing out that the job of the HEAD COACH is to strike the balance between offense and defense and pace and scoring and WINS. With scoring and wins being the ultimate factor, the only stat that matters.

Dopey "air raid bros" like you want to act as if a quarterback should throw the ball downfield 50 times a game "if he has talent".

What I have said, consistently, is that what Cristobal/Arrroyo did was to INCREASE the passing ratio from Taggart's year, while also balancing the defense, time of posession, and turnovers/penalties ALL OF WHICH LEADS TO MORE WINS.

I've explained it at length. I've explained it briefly.

Scored points, protected/developed QB, won games, got QB drafted high.

Win win win win.

All I’ll say is that 3rd down efficiency enables you to stay on the field to get more yardage and increase the likelihood of scoring. You need yds to get first downs so you can get more yds to get more first downs, so they’re connected unless you’re breaking huge plays for scores

So then explain why the Arroyo/Cristobal haters keep talking about "total offense ranked in the 40s" for 2017 and 2018, when the scoring was ranked 18th and 25th respectively.

Advertisement
At some point ya'll gonna stop doubting Cribby

I think you are misunderstanding. I don't doubt Cribby, but I've also been a fan of the program for 40 some odd years so I also know that chances are good that UM will somehow manage to f#ck itself, whether by a poorly written contract or by taking so long to make a decision that what once looked certain is no longer certain.

Advertisement
Annnd, right there, you've mischaracterized what I said. I never conflated offense with wins, that's a fake accusation from you.

I am pointing out that the job of the HEAD COACH is to strike the balance between offense and defense and pace and scoring and WINS. With scoring and wins being the ultimate factor, the only stat that matters.

Dopey "air raid bros" like you want to act as if a quarterback should throw the ball downfield 50 times a game "if he has talent".

What I have said, consistently, is that what Cristobal/Arrroyo did was to INCREASE the passing ratio from Taggart's year, while also balancing the defense, time of posession, and turnovers/penalties ALL OF WHICH LEADS TO MORE WINS.

I've explained it at length. I've explained it briefly.

Scored points, protected/developed QB, won games, got QB drafted high.

Win win win win.
You said “Unless we are going to get a retroactive win against Texas A&M for out-yardaging them. Hey, we actually went 7-5 last year "by total offense". And the Duke game was MUCH closer...”.

Did I miss where you talked about defense or turnovers in that post?

And this isn’t a thread about the head coaches job, it’s about our oc and possible replacements. Literally no one is arguing that the head coach doesn’t also oversee defense and ST. The job of the oc is score as much as possible, which usually requires getting a lot of yds

Advertisement
It can to a degree.
Turnover luck probably evens out over the course of three seasons.

I don’t think field position necessarily does.

And strength of schedule for sure wouldn’t necessarily balance out.
Stop. Turnover argument doesn’t hold water in 12 games. 1, yes.

You said “Unless we are going to get a retroactive win against Texas A&M for out-yardaging them. Hey, we actually went 7-5 last year "by total offense". And the Duke game was MUCH closer...”.

Did I miss where you talked about defense or turnovers in that post?

And this isn’t a thread about the head coaches job, it’s about our oc and possible replacements. Literally no one is arguing that the head coach doesn’t also oversee defense and ST. The job of the oc is score as much as possible, which usually requires getting a lot of yds

Yes. I said that to mock your desperate (and agenda-driven) desire to hold onto "total offense" as a measure instead of "points scored".

But feel free to continue taking everything I say out of context. Nobody can stop you, and it allows you to keep pushing your agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back