Jon Richt reveals regarding position battle

So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

If you watched the Duke game then you know he can sling it a little. He dropped a couple of absolute dimes in that game. I'd hope he's even better now than he was two years ago playing for a horrific staff. Two years under Rick should have improved him significantly.

Against that loaded Duke secondary..........................................

How many teams on our schedule do you fear more than that Duke team? FSU, VT, ND would probably be 3 teams that are better. You're worried that he can do that against that Duke team, but is going to struggle against 2017 UVA?

Huh? I never mentioned UGA. I don't think anyone here is doubting any one of our 3 QB's is capable of beating everyone on our schedule outside FSU, VT, or ND.

I just don't have a lot of faith in a QB that threw 6 pics in the spring before Dean and Delaney were on campus. The kid has a decent SCRIPTED scrimmage and everyone catches amnesia.

And I never mentioned UGA.

Advertisement
What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

So IOWs, like Kaaya, everything has to be perfect for Shirreffs to succeed.

That's exactly the feeling I got from reading that, which surprised me based on the insider reports talking up Shirreffs's athleticism. Truly athletic QBs don't have those problems.

The issue is arm more than athleticism. He doesn't have the arm to generate easy heat when everything isn't perfect.

I lump that ability in with athleticism. If you can't get any candy on the ball unless everything's perfect, you're not much of an athlete.

I can see him being one of those big dudes who can surprise you with straight line speed if he gets time to get rolling, but he's not a plus athlete if he can't throw well on the run.

Kan

So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

If you watched the Duke game then you know he can sling it a little. He dropped a couple of absolute dimes in that game. I'd hope he's even better now than he was two years ago playing for a horrific staff. Two years under Rick should have improved him significantly.

Those are two different Duke games. The first one he started, he didn't really run. Last year he came in in mop duty, ran a naked bootleg and ran for like 40 yards down the sideline. Almost scored.
Kan, I was referring to the first. Thanks for distinguishing from the two.

Against that ranked Duke secondary on the road. Not bad for a guy that wasn't watching film until then

Not enough information. We need to wait until scrimmage #2 and possibly beyond. Coaches have 2 more intra-team scrimmages, another scrimmage vs. Bethune, then a relatively easy game vs. Arkansas State. There is still have plenty of time to make the right choice. Don't rush it.

Advertisement
What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

So IOWs, like Kaaya, everything has to be perfect for Shirreffs to succeed.

That's exactly the feeling I got from reading that, which surprised me based on the insider reports talking up Shirreffs's athleticism. Truly athletic QBs don't have those problems.

The issue is arm more than athleticism. He doesn't have the arm to generate easy heat when everything isn't perfect.

I lump that ability in with athleticism. If you can't get any candy on the ball unless everything's perfect, you're not much of an athlete.

I can see him being one of those big dudes who can surprise you with straight line speed if he gets time to get rolling, but he's not a plus athlete if he can't throw well on the run.

Throwing starts from the feet up. Makes sense that if Sheriff only has mediocre arm talent to begin with, he has problems putting velocity on the ball when he's off balance (and doesn't have his feet set). Like Franchise, I was a bit surprised to hear it, though, considering all of the athleticism talk surrounding Sheriff in the Spring. IMO, good athlete at QB who is well coached can roll out, set his feet, and put some spin on the ball. Pressure in your face and throwing off the back foot is a different story... no arm, no velocity -- I doubt Sheriff will ever have that and don't think anyone on here would expect him to. But I was surprised to read about the issues throwing on the move.

Unless the OL shows a 180 degree change from last year, I will hope for the QB who does best under pressure (whoever that is). But from the above, it looks like the coaches are already on top of that train of thought.

Rosier is the least likely to leave Doak in an ambulance, so I go with him. Keep string bean as far away from the field as possible in FSU game no. 1. It's going to be open hunting season for both defensive lines in that game. Perry can take over the next game and gain some experience before FSU game no. 2 while Rosier gets treated for PTSD.

He might have to leave in and evac helicopter if he throws as many pics as he did this spring.

I don't think people understand how overmatched our line is going to be in that game. FSU's dline is going to be filthy this year. If I were Richt, I'd be installing my DJ Dallas wildcat packages right now.

FSU's line is going to be completely overmatched by our DL as well.

Should Jimbo run the Wildcat too?

We're in much better shape with Rosier back there then we'd be with Kaaya's immobile self

So, you're parroting what I said sans the intentional hyperbole.

Translation:

Shirreffs has a noodle arm, has a hard time getting the ball deep downfield, and can't throw on the run for shīt.

Perry is a fumbling machine and is nowhere near to picking up the playbook.

Rosier gets in his own head, gets down on himself, and benefits from repetition.

One of these is not like the others.

One of these, right now, looks like he's headed to be the starter.

Of course, there's at least a couple of more weeks of practices, scrimmages, and evaluations to go. But right now, one of these is in the lead.

Rosier " I never watched film until the duke game". Sure let's give this guy more reps since he wasted his 1st two years here playing baseball and holding clipboards while staring at the sun.

That might have been the worse thing I ever heard from a QB but even so, I'd like to think he has learned from that being unprepared during the Clemson game etc. Honestly, I think that was a team problem as well.. I know coach no D was a terrible DC but how many times did you watch our players on defense and they had NO IDEA what they were doing as if they were putting NO WORK to even learn the plays. Still, it baffle me how some of these low rated D-2 caliber players had 0 Fight, Heart, and no Effort. Just no chips on their shoulder or work ethic to prove people wrong.

Translation:

Shirreffs has a noodle arm, has a hard time getting the ball deep downfield, and can't throw on the run for shīt.

Rosier gets in his own head, gets down on himself, and benefits from repetition.

Of course, there's at least a couple of more weeks of practices, scrimmages, and evaluations to go. But right now, one of these is in the lead.

- Not Surprised. We aren't beating anyone with dink and dunk w/ Sheriffs. If you say something related to the Patriots having a great dink and dunk offense you should be banned from watching Football.
- Didn't think fumbling would be a continuous issue and the dude just got here so I'm not surprised. Perry is the most talented but does he have the mental make-up or will he be able to process things quickly?
- This might be good news about Rosier.. you always want a confident QB but at least we're not hearing about accurate issues right? I mean, you can always build confidence the more you play unless the dude just always has a negative attitude and is an overall depressing person.

Last edited:

Against that ranked Duke secondary on the road. Not bad for a guy that wasn't watching film until then

It's embarrassing to hear canes fans touting duke wins as accomplishments. I guess i'm too old school for this board.

Advertisement
Translation:

Right So Shirreffs is a Kaaya (immobile) with a weak arm. Seems to me this is the last thing Richt would want and unless our Oline is a beast this year this could spell turnover city.

Rosier questions himself but instead of telling him its his team and building confidence, Richt is keeping the comp open. Just seems like they are not doing the best thing to get him out of his head. This kid may have a heart attack if he finds out he has the starting nod right before the first game.

Perry isnt making decisions fast enough, gets in trouble and then starts to dance with the ball out wide from his body and like you said is far behind on the play book.

All the talk about the younger guys physical abilities and what could be, seems to mean they are still praying one of them steps up because thats what their offense requires.

Rosier is defintley athletic but he must really worry them to not commit to him.

I feel like you need to commit to Rosier and give Perry some packages. That lets Rosier get comfortable and keeps the door open for Perry to learn to protect the ball and get used to the game speed.

It's embarrassing to hear canes fans touting duke wins as accomplishments. I guess i'm too old school for this board.

Shït is ridiculous. You get praised for beating duke and finally just being average in a scrimmage.

That same secondary that was ranked 90th vs the pass?

Those are two different Duke games. The first one he started, he didn't really run. Last year he came in in mop duty, ran a naked bootleg and ran for like 40 yards down the sideline. Almost scored.

I didn't think they were the same games. I was responding to his questions on Rosier's throw game.

Advertisement

There's my typical Miami fan. More concerned with being right and advancing a dopey agenda than acknowledging some good UM moments.

I'll wait until someone who's seen any of these guys practice ssys something before making a decision. As far as I know, we're still in the same place we were in at the begining of camp. Shireffs has a noodle arm, Rosier can't stop throwing picks, Perry doesn't have a grasp of the offense yet. Yawn...

Advertisement
Are you guys still glad Brad left? I think it will be Sheriff (Brains) Comparison? Steve Walsh. We can win with QB who doesn' turn the ball over.

Don't care about Kaaya. He was proven. Proven to be a guy who needed everything to be perfect to do well and proven to be a guy who couldn't win big games. I'll take my chances with the unproven.

For such a smart guy, this is such a dumb position.

You'll take your chances on two guys who couldn't beat out Kaaya and two true freshman who haven't shown they are even remotely close to being ready? Kaaya wasn't perfect but with him at the helm we would've been a near lock for 10+ wins. Who knows what will happen with this group.

How open was the QB competition last year? You say Malik and Evan couldn't beat him out. Tell me how open the competition was. I remember Rick coming in and declaring Kaaya the only guy with a job.

Dorsey "couldn't beat out" Kenny Kelly either. Team was better with Dorsey.

Jamies couldn't beat out Manuel. Team was significantly better with Jameis.

Tee Martin couldn't beat out Manning. Team was better and won a NC with Martin.

I could go on and on to debunk this goofy "couldn't beat out" theory.

Often, the backup from the previous season leads the team to better results than the guy who started over him. Your theory doesn't account for improvement of the player, openness of the competition, or fit for the team/offense.

Announce Malik as the starter and let's ride!!

I won't believe it's anyone other than Rosier until I see someone other than him line up for the first snap of the first game.

Writing has been on the wall on this one since the day Kaaya announced for the NFL.

It's far more embarrassing to see Canes fans refuse to acknowledge an excellent performance as a last second emergency starter by a freshmans on the road against a team favored to beat us just because the fan has an agenda for another QB.

Rosier is the least likely to leave Doak in an ambulance, so I go with him. Keep string bean as far away from the field as possible in FSU game no. 1. It's going to be open hunting season for both defensive lines in that game. Perry can take over the next game and gain some experience before FSU game no. 2 while Rosier gets treated for PTSD.

He might have to leave in and evac helicopter if he throws as many pics as he did this spring.

I don't think people understand how overmatched our line is going to be in that game. FSU's dline is going to be filthy this year. If I were Richt, I'd be installing my DJ Dallas wildcat packages right now.

Honestly, if our O Line can hold their own some of the time against our defense, pretty sure they will do "ok" against the CrimiNoles.

Advertisement
Back