Jon Richt reveals regarding position battle

Advertisement
You dont leave the battle open unless:

1. You know the young guys should over take the older guys soon enough

or

2. The older guys aren't good

If they confidence in the older guys, this **** would be a 2 guy race right now.

Advertisement
Still don't know how I feel about Richt still running 4 QBS with the ones this far into camp. Need to start building that chemistry and roll with one guys getting majority of the 1 snaps

Pretty sure it's two right now. Hopefully Saturday will determine the starter

Richt said he will keep giving all of them reps with the 1s. Said he wants to be fair to the younger guys because of their learning curve.

Which I understand, hopefully Saturday reveals what he is looking for so we can start to cement the 1's and get some rhythm going

You can please some of the people all of the time or you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please a Cane fan any of the time...

It sounds like Evan is a poor man's Kaaya. He's fine until he is pressured and then the wheels come off. Richt will not want to deal wit that 2 years in a row, especially when one of the goals is improving 3rd down percentage.

Perry has all the tools but is clearly behind. Had he arrived in the Spring it might be a differerent story.

So Malik has to be the guy. Richt will ride him all the way past the FSU game and then re-evaluate. If we are undefeated we probably see Perry brought in for situational packages rest of the year. If we get thumped by FSU because of a poor performance by Malik then you might see a change to Perry if, and a big if, he is ready.

Advertisement
Rosier is the least likely to leave Doak in an ambulance, so I go with him. Keep string bean as far away from the field as possible in FSU game no. 1. It's going to be open hunting season for both defensive lines in that game. Perry can take over the next game and gain some experience before FSU game no. 2 while Rosier gets treated for PTSD.

He might have to leave in and evac helicopter if he throws as many pics as he did this spring.

I don't think people understand how overmatched our line is going to be in that game. FSU's dline is going to be filthy this year. If I were Richt, I'd be installing my DJ Dallas wildcat packages right now.

Honestly, if our O Line can hold their own some of the time against our defense, pretty sure they will do "ok" against the CrimiNoles.

Agree with Moto. How the f*** do you just give in and say the offensive line can't hold up against those c-u-n-t-s. If FSU is going to just run through our line every play like dycane seems to think then it won't matter who f***ing plays QB. If the o-line is holding up decently against the beasts we have on the line, then they aren't just going to get blown off the line by fsu.

Last edited:
Rosier is the least likely to leave Doak in an ambulance, so I go with him. Keep string bean as far away from the field as possible in FSU game no. 1. It's going to be open hunting season for both defensive lines in that game. Perry can take over the next game and gain some experience before FSU game no. 2 while Rosier gets treated for PTSD.

He might have to leave in and evac helicopter if he throws as many pics as he did this spring.

I don't think people understand how overmatched our line is going to be in that game. FSU's dline is going to be filthy this year. If I were Richt, I'd be installing my DJ Dallas wildcat packages right now.

their dline is likely better than ours...Add to it...they blitz alot and bring that guy Derwin James on blitzes..they were doing it all spring in their spring game....we gotta get the ball out their quick in that game..They have recruited the dl the last few classes on the level of Bama...Its FSU, Clemson, Um for the best dl in the acc

their dline is likely better than ours...Add to it...they blitz alot and bring that guy Derwin James on blitzes..they were doing it all spring in their spring game....we gotta get the ball out their quick in that game..They have recruited the dl the last few classes on the level of Bama...Its FSU, Clemson, Um for the best dl in the acc
I really rarely disagree with you on evaluation, so I'm curious why you think their DL is better than our DL? Not that it matters, as each play the other team's OL. To be clear, I painfully acknowledge they have an outstanding DL. Just not sure about their DL vs our DL.

Advertisement

I just picked up Phil steeles preview magazine. Noles are loaded. Best secondary in the country, loaded DL, experienced LB unit. We will have our hands full.

Va Tech looks like a solid team too. Their QB declared for the draft and went undrafted, which plays well for us. But they are very solid at lb and have one of the best secondary's in the nation.

UNC looks too depleted, lost switzer, the QB, and the top rb. We should handle them.

That's all I got through so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really rarely disagree with you on evaluation, so I'm curious why you think their DL is better than our DL? Not that it matters, as each play the other team's OL. To be clear, I painfully acknowledge they have an outstanding DL. Just not sure about their DL vs our DL.

They return 7 of their top 8. Nnadi was first team all ACC, and Brian burns had 9.5 sacks as a true fr.

I'm not saying they are better or worse than our DL, just saying they are deep and talented.

Advertisement
What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

So IOWs, like Kaaya, everything has to be perfect for Shirreffs to succeed.

That's exactly the feeling I got from reading that, which surprised me based on the insider reports talking up Shirreffs's athleticism. Truly athletic QBs don't have those problems.

The issue is arm more than athleticism. He doesn't have the arm to generate easy heat when everything isn't perfect.

But we've won national titles with QBs who had less arm than Shirreffs, and lost horribly with QBs with strong arms. Arm strength is the single most over rated QB attribute there is. Give me Ken Dorsey over Kyle Wright. ****, give me Steve Walsh over Vinny. When Miami is Miami, we are loaded at the skill positions, and just need a guy to make the right reads and tear teams apart. We are closer to being that Miami than many know. So many people think we need a savior at QB, but that isn't the case when we have talent.

They return 7 of their top 8. Nnadi was first team all ACC, and Brian burns had 9.5 sacks as a true fr.

I'm not saying they are better or worse than our DL, just saying they are deep and talented.

They are deeper than miami at defensive tackle however Miami is deeper at dend
Miami's dline was more productive than fsu last year and it was comprised of mainly underclass men out side of a couple of players

I just picked up Phil steeles preview magazine. Noles are loaded. Best secondary in the country, loaded DL, experienced LB unit. We will have our hands full.

Va Tech looks like a solid team too. Their QB declared for the draft and went undrafted, which plays well for us. But they are very solid at lb and have one of the best secondary's in the nation.

UNC looks too depleted, lost switzer, the QB, and the top rb. We should handle them.

That's all I got through so far.

From the horse's mouth, Jimbo believes he has the best defense he's ever had. And I agree. FSU is a legitimate national title contender if its online can hold up. I really hope Miami wins the Coastal because, among other obvious reasons, I think it will set up a watershed rematch against a No. 1 ranked FSU squad.

I'll take our DL over either FSU or Clemson, and when you add in our LBs we have a huge advantage. FSU has a better secondary, but not DL.

Who cares what their recruiting rankings were. RJ is better than any 3-tech they have, and Garvin + Jackson are better than their 5 stars Kaindoh and Burns. No wonder you love Chatfield so much, you just hate Miami and can't evaluate anything.

**** FSU

Advertisement
Back