Jon Richt reveals regarding position battle

So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

If you watched the Duke game then you know he can sling it a little. He dropped a couple of absolute dimes in that game. I'd hope he's even better now than he was two years ago playing for a horrific staff. Two years under Rick should have improved him significantly.

Against that loaded Duke secondary..........................................

Breon Borders plays for the Raiders. Byron Fields, Jr. is a Jim Thorpe Award Candidate.

Advertisement
So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

If you watched the Duke game then you know he can sling it a little. He dropped a couple of absolute dimes in that game. I'd hope he's even better now than he was two years ago playing for a horrific staff. Two years under Rick should have improved him significantly.

Breon Borders plays for the Raiders. Byron Fields, Jr. is a Jim Thorpe Award Candidate.

And they were still horrible.

Maybe the DL was horrible

They had Jeremy cash back on defense too then who was a menace as well I think

Does Rosier still throw like a third baseman? That windup was Teblow like

He never threw like that.

At least not in the few games he's played.

Comparing his motion to Tebow? You must have not actually watched either, or not very closely. Not similar at all.

You're saying theres no windup in his Duke film? You can take his throwing motion off of a baseball instructional video.

Advertisement

Comparing his motion to Tebow? You must have not actually watched either, or not very closely. Not similar at all.

You're saying theres no windup in his Duke film? You can take his throwing motion off of a baseball instructional video.

He has a relatively normal throwing motion. Of course, there's some windup, which most QBs have. Very few QB's bring the ball to their ear and flick it with their wrist like Marino. Teabag was a horrible comparison, he had a slow, deliberate, long and looping motion, nothing like Rosier.

And they were still favored to beat us. We were just as horrible.

They had Jeremy cash back on defense too then who was a menace as well I think

Forgot about him. He was really good.

Just amazing how we take an interview session from a QB coach, and not comprehend the facts:
- Rosier has the most upside as ready to go
- Shirreffs problems remind us of Kaaya...he's able to beat weak teams, but not elite
- Perry and Weldon does not have command of the play book, and the coaches are not comfortable

As for the highlights of the Duke game, Rosier is good on initial read, and can make a solid throw with decent arm strength.
I can recall Kaaya's first game at Louisville, and the OC called a conservative game plan because of mobility and actual knowledge of the complete playbook. So please, stop talking about Perry's inability to comprehend CMR's system. Let's be real, CMR struggle last year during the first 7 games getting the plays call. Perry and Weldon went up against the first defense, while Rosier and Shirreffs went against the second-third defense.

Bottom line, I would develop both Perry and Weldon, because they have the skill set. As for now, Rosier will be the starter, but watch Weldon and Perry wants they learn the play book.

Advertisement
So in other words, we're screwed, 8-4 here we come:dejection:

As long as we have a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and don't lose starters to injury, I see 10-2 with our defense, and ACC championship game appearance. If we get a QB who is more than a game manager, we go 11-1,and have a chance at the playoff. Then who knows. That's where I see our floor and ceiling.

What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

So IOWs, like Kaaya, everything has to be perfect for Shirreffs to succeed.

Nailed it.

If an INT, 5 carries for -12 yards (long was 3), and a scamper into our own endzone before grounding us into a Duke safety late 3rd quarter qualifies as dual threat, then he is dual threat

EDIT: Oh my bad. I thought you meant the Duke game where he started and didn't just mop up for one series.

So in other words, we're screwed, 8-4 here we come:dejection:

As long as we have a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and don't lose starters to injury, I see 10-2 with our defense, and ACC championship game appearance. If we get a QB who is more than a game manager, we go 11-1,and have a chance at the playoff. Then who knows. That's where I see our floor and ceiling.

I like it.
But that's a small room.

Advertisement
I really rarely disagree with you on evaluation, so I'm curious why you think their DL is better than our DL? Not that it matters, as each play the other team's OL. To be clear, I painfully acknowledge they have an outstanding DL. Just not sure about their DL vs our DL.

They return 7 of their top 8. Nnadi was first team all ACC, and Brian burns had 9.5 sacks as a true fr.

I'm not saying they are better or worse than our DL, just saying they are deep and talented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I've mentioned a bunch of times, I've re-watched all their games over the summer. I understand what their defense is capable of doing - especially their projected secondary (though I see a debatable vulnerability). I'm simply questioning whether their DL is better than our DL. Nnadi's All-ACC selection doesn't necessarily make him better than Norton any more than Roy Williams winning the Thorpe over Ed Reed was evidence of Williams being superior.

I think:

Chad Thomas/D-Jax/DJ Johnson/Patchan
Norton/Moten
Mcintosh/Bethel
Joe Jackson/Trent Harris/Garvin

is greater than

Josh Sweat/Jalen Wilkerson
Christmas/Aime
Nnadi/Jones
Burns/Kaindoh
or whatever variation makes it out of their fall camp.
Their talent is legit, imo, it's more their DC. The guy sucks and should get more out of the talent he has. Its why I think bama is going to crush them and why I think we have a solid chance of beating them. Their defense just doesn't impress me.
I didn't say their talent is anything but legit. You're likely to be more impressed by their defense now that their best DB is healthy.
:fistbump:

I dont doubt that.

He has a relatively normal throwing motion. Of course, there's some windup, which most QBs have. Very few QB's bring the ball to their ear and flick it with their wrist like Marino. Teabag was a horrible comparison, he had a slow, deliberate, long and looping motion, nothing like Rosier.

Maybe not quite Tebow, but had certainly had a windup that needed some fixing. He has an inverted W throwing motion, as opposed to those that **** the ball backwards then up. His elbow is on top of the ball during his windup motion.

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 3.44.22 PM.jpg

Compared to Kaaya

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 3.50.14 PM.jpg

The release has actually improved. It was extremely rough during his Duke start. His feet and weight transfer were also erratic. They were still pretty wild when I watched him last Fall. Supposedly, they have improved. I haven't had the opportunity to watch practice this year.

Advertisement
Kaaya was actually a QB prodigy who far exceeded his physical talent through many years of repetitive training with a QB guru from a very young age.

He had a textbook throwing motion that belied average athleticism. He worked, repeated and learned his way to pure technique.

Rosier can't compare to that.

Are you guys still glad Brad left? I think it will be Sheriff (Brains) Comparison? Steve Walsh. We can win with QB who doesn' turn the ball over.

Don't care about Kaaya. He was proven. Proven to be a guy who needed everything to be perfect to do well and proven to be a guy who couldn't win big games. I'll take my chances with the unproven.

This

Evan is garbage. Been saying that since day 1. He won't play a meaningful down here barring catastrophe

Advertisement
Back