Jon Richt reveals regarding position battle

So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

If you watched the Duke game then you know he can sling it a little. He dropped a couple of absolute dimes in that game. I'd hope he's even better now than he was two years ago playing for a horrific staff. Two years under Rick should have improved him significantly.

Advertisement
So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

If you watched the Duke game then you know he can sling it a little. He dropped a couple of absolute dimes in that game. I'd hope he's even better now than he was two years ago playing for a horrific staff. Two years under Rick should have improved him significantly.

Those are two different Duke games. The first one he started, he didn't really run. Last year he came in in mop duty, ran a naked bootleg and ran for like 40 yards down the sideline. Almost scored.

Translation:

Shirreffs has a noodle arm, has a hard time getting the ball deep downfield, and can't throw on the run for shīt.

Perry is a fumbling machine and is nowhere near to picking up the playbook.

Rosier gets in his own head, gets down on himself, and benefits from repetition.

One of these is not like the others.

One of these, right now, looks like he's headed to be the starter.

Of course, there's at least a couple of more weeks of practices, scrimmages, and evaluations to go. But right now, one of these is in the lead.

Pretty much but I took the "gets in his own head" followed by the "just do what we ask him to do" comments to mean he still does too much freelancing and taking unnecessary risks. I really didn't sense the issue was confidence with Malik.

You have a point there.

Against that loaded Duke secondary..........................................

Advertisement

He dropped more than a couple dimes that night, if I recall correctly. I remember being surprised at how many sweet throws he actually had. Totally was not expecting it. He has a P5 arm, there's no doubt if you watch that game.

[video=youtube;NfFWdkU9cVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFWdkU9cVw&sns=em[/video]

How many teams on our schedule do you fear more than that Duke team? FSU, VT, ND would probably be 3 teams that are better. You're worried that he can do that against that Duke team, but is going to struggle against 2017 UVA?

lol man there's been so many mixed reviews on Malik and Sheriffs. Please just name the QB so I can sleep at night

Get over your bias and try to think clearly.

Just watch the Duke highlights above.

Threw some frozen ropes and dimes.

Several touch throws.

At least one sick backshoulder throw.

I don't care what their secondary was ranked. He had some major league throws.

And yes, I know it's only one game, but it still shows what he's capable of.

If you can't see that, then your bias has blinded you.

Advertisement
Translation: Perry doesn't know playbook; Sheireffs is ok if everything else is jelling which leaves Rosier the best option. No one saying anything about the OL but the big uglies better be ready to stand up and be counted regardless of who wins the QB job or it's another Kaaya running for his life every other play & playing hurt.

Malik strikes me as the kind of Qb that will go into Tallahassee and handle the Noles but will throw 3 picks at home against Virginia

Yep. I said in a prior thread that it's feast or famine with Malik. He can easily throw 3 tds and then get picked off 3 times.

Juggernauts Dorsey beat before He finally beat a ranked team...Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, McNeese St., WVU, & Rutgers...LOL.

According to your logic, you would've been b!tchin' & gripin' in 00'.

Last edited:
Advertisement

He dropped more than a couple dimes that night, if I recall correctly. I remember being surprised at how many sweet throws he actually had. Totally was not expecting it. He has a P5 arm, there's no doubt if you watch that game.

[video=youtube;NfFWdkU9cVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFWdkU9cVw&sns=em[/video]

There are definitely some nice throws in those highlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you guys still glad Brad left? I think it will be Sheriff (Brains) Comparison? Steve Walsh. We can win with QB who doesn' turn the ball over.

Don't care about Kaaya. He was proven. Proven to be a guy who needed everything to be perfect to do well and proven to be a guy who couldn't win big games. I'll take my chances with the unproven.

For such a smart guy, this is such a dumb position.

You'll take your chances on two guys who couldn't beat out Kaaya and two true freshman who haven't shown they are even remotely close to being ready? Kaaya wasn't perfect but with him at the helm we would've been a near lock for 10+ wins. Who knows what will happen with this group.

Advertisement
What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

So IOWs, like Kaaya, everything has to be perfect for Shirreffs to succeed.

That's exactly the feeling I got from reading that, which surprised me based on the insider reports talking up Shirreffs's athleticism. Truly athletic QBs don't have those problems.

The issue is arm more than athleticism. He doesn't have the arm to generate easy heat when everything isn't perfect.
I could see this from the brief scrimmage footage

How many teams on our schedule do you fear more than that Duke team? FSU, VT, ND would probably be 3 teams that are better. You're worried that he can do that against that Duke team, but is going to struggle against 2017 UVA?

Huh? I never mentioned UGA. I don't think anyone here is doubting any one of our 3 QB's is capable of beating everyone on our schedule outside FSU, VT, or ND.

I just don't have a lot of faith in a QB that threw 6 pics in the spring before Dean and Delaney were on campus. The kid has a decent SCRIPTED scrimmage and everyone catches amnesia.

Go watch the Duke game. He can pass the ball pretty well he's just been prone to turnovers in practices. If we wanna beat FSU you have to be able to threaten the whole field. He can do that, but his issue is turnovers.

Get over your bias and try to think clearly.

Just watch the Duke highlights above.

Threw some frozen ropes and dimes.

Several touch throws.

At least one sick backshoulder throw.

I don't care what their secondary was ranked. He had some major league throws.

And yes, I know it's only one game, but it still shows what he's capable of.

If you can't see that, then your bias has blinded you.

I'm don't doubt his arm. We've got a top 10 defense and ridiculous playmakers at WR so i want the QB that makes the best decision and is the most accurate. It's a preference thing not hate or bias. I hope he proves me wrong but i'm not going all in because of one scrimmage when he **** it up all spring.

Advertisement
Back