Jon Richt reveals regarding position battle

Advertisement
Malik strikes me as the kind of Qb that will go into Tallahassee and handle the Noles but will throw 3 picks at home against Virginia

Malik strikes me as the kind of Qb that will go into Tallahassee and handle the Noles but will throw 3 picks at home against Virginia

I'd take that all day long, because that is THE game we need to win ---a win like against FSU wil infuse confidence, galvanize the fanbase, and could propel this team all the way to the promised land.

As far as UVA prediction, every QB will have those kinds of games. This defense is good enough to pick up the slack in a game like that.

What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

So IOWs, like Kaaya, everything has to be perfect for Shirreffs to succeed.

That's exactly the feeling I got from reading that, which surprised me based on the insider reports talking up Shirreffs's athleticism. Truly athletic QBs don't have those problems.

The issue is arm more than athleticism. He doesn't have the arm to generate easy heat when everything isn't perfect.

Advertisement
What about Evan Shirreffs’ arm strength? He’s had balls batted down and in the past his arm strength has appeared to be a deterrent.

Jon Richt: Really, balls batted down are going to happen in a game, especially with a great D-line like ours. They get their hands up. They get their hands in the way. We’ve got to attack them in the run game to get their hands down. But as far as throwing, his arm, if his fundamentals are great and he’s on rhythm and he’s doing everything right, it’s more than adequate of enough arm. But when he gets off balance and all this kind of stuff, he can’t recover as much as some of these other guys who have stronger arms.

“He’s definitely a guy, who, because he’s smart, he’s able to be on time, be on rhythm. When he’s clicking, he’s clicking. But when he’s having to move around it’s a little tougher for him.”

That's exactly the feeling I got from reading that, which surprised me based on the insider reports talking up Shirreffs's athleticism. Truly athletic QBs don't have those problems.

Boom, absolutely !

Translation:

Shirreffs has a noodle arm, has a hard time getting the ball deep downfield, and can't throw on the run for shīt.

Perry is a fumbling machine and is nowhere near to picking up the playbook.

Rosier gets in his own head, gets down on himself, and benefits from repetition.

One of these is not like the others.

One of these, right now, looks like he's headed to be the starter.

Of course, there's at least a couple of more weeks of practices, scrimmages, and evaluations to go. But right now, one of these is in the lead.

Rosier " I never watched film until the duke game". Sure let's give this guy more reps since he wasted his 1st two years here playing baseball and holding clipboards while staring at the sun.

When I was in grade school I used to fūck up all the time. Glad it didn't carry over.

In other words, that whole Duke thing is just you grasping at straws because you wish Rosier wasn't in the lead, so you have to latch on to something, no matter how irrelevant it is to today.

I'm hoping grade school was more than 21 months ago for you. Grats on the 1 scrimmage lead being 3 years older than everyone he's competing with lol. FOH with that beta ****.

Rosier is the least likely to leave Doak in an ambulance, so I go with him. Keep string bean as far away from the field as possible in FSU game no. 1. It's going to be open hunting season for both defensive lines in that game. Perry can take over the next game and gain some experience before FSU game no. 2 while Rosier gets treated for PTSD.

Advertisement
Are you guys still glad Brad left? I think it will be Sheriff (Brains) Comparison? Steve Walsh. We can win with QB who doesn' turn the ball over.

That was my impression as well.

Give each two quarters w ones v twos and two quarters w ones v ones.

Rosier is the least likely to leave Doak in an ambulance, so I go with him. Keep string bean as far away from the field as possible in FSU game no. 1. It's going to be open hunting season for both defensive lines in that game. Perry can take over the next game and gain some experience before FSU game no. 2 while Rosier gets treated for PTSD.

He might have to leave in and evac helicopter if he throws as many pics as he did this spring.

So does Rosier present a legit dual threat? I can't recall if it was in the Duke game or mop up time in another game but he broke off a long run and seemed to have 4.6ish type speed. Don't want a situation where a guy can run, but passing ability is a complete joke (I think GT had one of those guys at QB for the past couple of years, could not make a throw to save his life but ran the option well)

Advertisement

He might have to leave in and evac helicopter if he throws as many pics as he did this spring.

I don't think people understand how overmatched our line is going to be in that game. FSU's dline is going to be filthy this year. If I were Richt, I'd be installing my DJ Dallas wildcat packages right now.

Smh at the way our fan base tries to read in between the lines...at least be good at it.

Advertisement

I don't think people understand how overmatched our line is going to be in that game. FSU's dline is going to be filthy this year. If I were Richt, I'd be installing my DJ Dallas wildcat packages right now.

FSU's line is going to be completely overmatched by our DL as well.

Should Jimbo run the Wildcat too?

We're in much better shape with Rosier back there then we'd be with Kaaya's immobile self

Translation:

Shirreffs has a noodle arm, has a hard time getting the ball deep downfield, and can't throw on the run for shīt.

Perry is a fumbling machine and is nowhere near to picking up the playbook.

Rosier gets in his own head, gets down on himself, and benefits from repetition.

One of these is not like the others.

One of these, right now, looks like he's headed to be the starter.

Of course, there's at least a couple of more weeks of practices, scrimmages, and evaluations to go. But right now, one of these is in the lead.

Pretty much but I took the "gets in his own head" followed by the "just do what we ask him to do" comments to mean he still does too much freelancing and taking unnecessary risks. I really didn't sense the issue was confidence with Malik.

The issue is arm more than athleticism. He doesn't have the arm to generate easy heat when everything isn't perfect.

I lump that ability in with athleticism. If you can't get any candy on the ball unless everything's perfect, you're not much of an athlete.

I can see him being one of those big dudes who can surprise you with straight line speed if he gets time to get rolling, but he's not a plus athlete if he can't throw well on the run.

Are you guys still glad Brad left? I think it will be Sheriff (Brains) Comparison? Steve Walsh. We can win with QB who doesn' turn the ball over.

Don't care about Kaaya. He was proven. Proven to be a guy who needed everything to be perfect to do well and proven to be a guy who couldn't win big games. I'll take my chances with the unproven.

Advertisement
Back