Jon Ford

Rich coming from you. Lmao.

Btw; just like I’ve been harping on lack of player development, I’ve been harping on our attrition. Pay the fck attention.

Plenty of stuff to ***** about with this programs coaches but morons declaring for the draft that have no business doing so is not one of those ... that's on the kids and their familes/advisors.

Advertisement
What are practice squad guys making these days and what is their approximate shelf life? I assume if they're injured they're let go and replaced.
You can only be on a practice squad for 2 maybe 3 years. And I think around 2010 they were able to make an average of 80k some making 100k+. But yea you’re right, if they get injured more than likely they are let go.

Bro no offense, as I see what ur trying to do, but there’s true 3 and out kids and then there’s us. Bama, Clemson, OSU, Michigan, OU, LSU, Oregon, ****, even USCw are truly recruiting 3 and out kids, and their kids are getting drafted w/in the first 3 rounds. We have kids literally getting poor draft grades and are still bouncing; kids who are advised to stay b/c they may become a UDFA, and are still leaving.

So I get what u’re saying, but it’s not the same at all.
But it's not only those schools that are seeing guys leave early. You don't have record setting numbers of kids leaving with only kids who have good draft grades that are leaving. It's nothing that "I'm trying to do" it's just the fact of the matter.

Advertisement
But it's not only those schools that are seeing guys leave early. You don't have record setting numbers of kids leaving with only kids who have good draft grades that are leaving. It's nothing that "I'm trying to do" it's just the fact of the matter.

I hear u, but I would behoove you to research the guys that are leaving after 3 yrs, where they are being drafted, the programs they are being drafted from, and then compare it to us. The two are not equal; that’s all I’m saying. We have guys who are earning 7th round - UDFA grades and are still bouncing.

Advertisement
I hear u, but I would behoove you to research the guys that are leaving after 3 yrs, where they are being drafted, the programs they are being drafted from, and then compare it to us. The two are not equal; that’s all I’m saying. We have guys who are earning 7th round - UDFA grades and are still bouncing.
But I'm telling you they are the same. I'm looking at list right now -- you have LSU, Georgia, Bama, Penn State, Clemson, Tennessee, TAMU, Oklahoma, etc.. and that's just from last year. These are just the kids who went undrafted, not even the kids who stupidly left and were drafted later than they're supposed to go. And these are the 4 star and 5 star kids who are 3 and out like you're saying. You can look at the list below for yourself if you don't believe me. Kids are doing this dumb **** all around the country, no matter how good or bad the program is.

Underclassmen Going Unselected 2019

Last edited:
But I'm telling you they are the same. I'm looking at list right now -- you have LSU, Georgia, Bama, Penn State, Clemson, Tennessee, TAMU, Oklahoma, etc.. and that's just from last year. These are just the kids who went undrafted, not even the kids who stupidly left and were drafted later than they're supposed to go. And these are the 4 star and 5 star kids who are 3 and out like you're saying. You can look at the list below for yourself if you don't believe me. Kids are doing this dumb **** all around the country, no matter how good or bad the program is.

Underclassmen Going Unselected 2019

Just b/c a kid goes undrafted, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to take a gamble. You're talking about 1000's of players vying for 224 draft spots.

So let's go over some of these kids that went undrafted from the link you provided:
Let's take the Jeff Allison for example from Fresno St. Dude avg. 122 tackles his sophomore/junior seasons, won DPOY for his conference his Jr year, all while playing for a Fresno team that went 22-6 his last 2 years. Why wouldn't he declare?

Elijah Holyfield is another example. Kid plays for a top school, goes over 1000 yrds his Jr year, while splitting carries, avg. 6/carry his sophomore/junior year. NFL like productive running backs w/ low mileage, so why wouldn't he declare?

Tyrel Dodson, avg. 87 tackles between his sophomore/junior year with housing a couple of TDs as a LB.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey put up the 3rd most receiving yards in a single season for UT, put up 9 TDs his Jr and he's 6'4 225lbs. Why wouldn't he declare?

Savion Smith was JUCO transfer, former 5 star kid (from the crib) who played one year of P5 football and did extremely well for Alabama as a lock down corner....but there is only one year of film on him. 6'1 200lb DB. Why wouldn't he declare?

Look, all I'm doing is providing some context; all things are not equal. Just b/c a kid that declares early for the draft and not get drafted or go lower than his draft grade, doesn't mean they made a dumb decision based upon their production. Furthermore, we're talking about 1 or 2 from aforementioned schools that went undrafted.

What I'm saying is here, NONE of these mofos have the justification to declare early. Jon Ford....if I wasn't a Canes fan, I wouldn't even know who tf he was, and neither would any of us. Travis, RJ, Norton, Yearby (another head scratcher). At least w/ 70% of the guys who went undrafted or went lower than their original grades, I can justify why they would declare, especially if you play at a top tier program. We have no viable reason for any of our underclassmen leaving here, yet they are still leaving. The guys listed on the site you provided, most of them had draftable grades, and I remember very distinctly Mel Kiper being in shock at the number of quality players that became UDFA, in particular Holyfield.

Just b/c a kid goes undrafted, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to take a gamble. You're talking about 1000's of players vying for 224 draft spots.

So let's go over some of these kids that went undrafted from the link you provided:
Let's take the Jeff Allison for example from Fresno St. Dude avg. 122 tackles his sophomore/junior seasons, won DPOY for his conference his Jr year, all while playing for a Fresno team that went 22-6 his last 2 years. Why wouldn't he declare?

Elijah Holyfield is another example. Kid plays for a top school, goes over 1000 yrds his Jr year, while splitting carries, avg. 6/carry his sophomore/junior year. NFL like productive running backs w/ low mileage, so why wouldn't he declare?

Tyrel Dodson, avg. 87 tackles between his sophomore/junior year with housing a couple of TDs as a LB.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey put up the 3rd most receiving yards in a single season for UT, put up 9 TDs his Jr and he's 6'4 225lbs. Why wouldn't he declare?

Savion Smith was JUCO transfer, former 5 star kid (from the crib) who played one year of P5 football and did extremely well for Alabama as a lock down corner....but there is only one year of film on him. 6'1 200lb DB. Why wouldn't he declare?

Look, all I'm doing is providing some context; all things are not equal. Just b/c a kid that declares early for the draft and not get drafted or go lower than his draft grade, doesn't mean they made a dumb decision based upon their production. Furthermore, we're talking about 1 or 2 from aforementioned schools that went undrafted.

What I'm saying is here, NONE of these mofos have the justification to declare early. Jon Ford....if I wasn't a Canes fan, I wouldn't even know who tf he was, and neither would any of us. Travis, RJ, Norton, Yearby (another head scratcher). At least w/ 70% of the guys who went undrafted or went lower than their original grades, I can justify why they would declare, especially if you play at a top tier program. We have no viable reason for any of our underclassmen leaving here, yet they are still leaving. The guys listed on the site you provided, most of them had draftable grades, and I remember very distinctly Mel Kiper being in shock at the number of quality players that became UDFA, in particular Holyfield.
But these kids presumably got late round or undrafted grades when they went to seek feedback from the advisory board. You're completely shifting the goal posts here. Yes, we've had a few kids that shouldn't have left, but this is a problem EVERYWHERE. Smith shouldn't have left. Ed Alexander shouldn't have left. Quarte Sapp shouldn't have left.

Saivion Smith in particular you're completely misremembering. He got beat like a drum in big games, and he ended his season with an injury. If he left early at Miami, you'd be asking why on earth he's declaring early.
Walter Football has him as the No. 36 cornerback in a class full of SEC talent at the top while CBS Sports had him No. 12. Smith on Sunday at the NFL Combine spoke about his decision to leave Alabama, his final game with the team and the injury that ended it.

And Mel Kiper =/= what the draft advisory grades are. He's wrong every single year about this stuff. How many of these guys do you think got feedback that they were going to be first or second day picks? It's unlikely that many of them did. Maybe a few had really bad medicals, but outside of that, I'm sure that most of them didn't receive that advice.

I'm done with this, but my point stands, this is a NCAA wide problem. Most of these kids aren't even all-conference performers, and they're from the type of programs that you mention and we're still seeing similar trends. There's going to be a few kids who go against the advice of the board or their coaches each year, thinking that they're an exception to the rule. It sucks, but it is also the landscape right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Really unfortunate. He's not getting drafted. I wish these players knew that only 224 guys are getting drafted. As much as I support him as a Cane, he's not one of the Top 200 players in the country.

If he wants any shot at getting drafted, he needs to work harder for another year, ball out the entire season and then maybe he'll make it into the last couple of rounds.

I wish him the best of luck but this is a serious mistake if it's true.

Advertisement
Back