John Campbell committing July 3rd

Really not that excited about this. I'm fine with him being in this class but as a late addition after we have missed on bigger OT. July 3 is to early for me for this kid. We need to go hard at the top OT's and keep him on the back burner.

He is a top target for us and for the Gaturds. What "bigger" OL do you have in mind?

I don't know much about this kid. But I don't understand all the hype. He's not a big target for ufag. There's like 6 kids ahead of him & 4 or 5 are florida kids.that doesn't even account for the national targets. My main problem is I think he's in the same mold as Hillery was. A kid that's gonna need atleast a couple years to mold.by taking kids like that it puts more pressure on the rest of the line now to step up.

I'm in the same boat about the hype. I watched some of his game tapes and camps reps and i see 2 major issues......he plays extremely high and gets turned instead of staying square. I think he would need major work on his feet and technique, which is why i think he's a long-term project. He looked athletic in his senior drills clips but i didn't see that same athleticism in 1-on-1's and in games, so i'm a bit puzzled

You should become a coach, ground breaking analysis. You must know more than Richt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This **** detracts from the board. Part of the fun of following recruiting is sharing opinions on prospects.

You don't have to know more than Richt to give an opinion, or even disagree with a player he likes. Chill with that.

Advertisement
He is a top target for us and for the Gaturds. What "bigger" OL do you have in mind?

I don't know much about this kid. But I don't understand all the hype. He's not a big target for ufag. There's like 6 kids ahead of him & 4 or 5 are florida kids.that doesn't even account for the national targets. My main problem is I think he's in the same mold as Hillery was. A kid that's gonna need atleast a couple years to mold.by taking kids like that it puts more pressure on the rest of the line now to step up.

I'm in the same boat about the hype. I watched some of his game tapes and camps reps and i see 2 major issues......he plays extremely high and gets turned instead of staying square. I think he would need major work on his feet and technique, which is why i think he's a long-term project. He looked athletic in his senior drills clips but i didn't see that same athleticism in 1-on-1's and in games, so i'm a bit puzzled

You should become a coach, ground breaking analysis. You must know more than Richt.

This **** detracts from the board. Part of the fun of following recruiting is sharing opinions on prospects.

You don't have to know more than Richt to give an opinion, or even disagree with a player he likes. Chill with that.

Okay board police.

I'd be thrilled with an OL class of Scaife, Reed, Campbell and potentially Montilus. Would be every bit as good of a haul as last year. Scaife and Reed are Year 1 starters. Campbell might not play for a couple seasons but has an incredibly high ceiling. Montilus is a good bet to be a solid rotational player.

I still think we end up adding 1 more talented guy too. Remember last year nobody had ever heard of Gaynor at this point and Herbert really wasn't a possibility until January.

Oh i'm sorry, i guess nobody else in the world can look at tape and form an opinion. My bad. Please forgive my incompetence.
Don't you know it's a rule to NEVER question the coaching staff because they are ALWAYS right???? Fans are no longer allowed to have opinions

Considering the talent we got this last recruiting cycle and the talent we have and in the running for this year the fans should sit down and be quiet because 99% of the time they don't know what the **** they are talking about haha so obnoxious. Fans know all! Can't understand why they aren't coaches! Mind blowing! This kid is being recruited by OSU, Bama, etc and you want to question the evaluation of our staff lol geez

First, nobody is denying this staff has brought in a lot of talent. And nobody is trashing the staff either.....or the kid. He has some good tape and shows a nasty streak, but also has some questionable tape/clips. Oline and QB are the 2 most difficult positions to project bc so much coaching and technical work is required.....along with instincts and improvisation.

In this case, all some have said is they don't get the hype some are giving him....the same is said about 5* kids of Top15 NFL picks. It doesn't mean they think he's a horrible prospect, just that they have questions or like others more. That's ok! Coaches do miss.....even the best miss, not only HS evaluations but NFL 1st rounders. And yes...Richt has missed as well. Guys will fail. Not every kid is a home run. Some 3 star kids like McIntosh and Norton will develop and shine while others will never play a meaningful snap. It is OK to have an opinion as long as you back it up with more than just "that's dumb". Watch a little tape. How do you feel about Campbell's drop step? What about his punch and hand placement? See if he sinks his hips or keeps them elevated, allowing guys into his frame and losing leverage. Balls of feet vs flatfooted. Wide base vs narrow. Most is coachable....as long as you can break habits. Some may be limited athletically. As i said, the kid looks athletic in his HS spring drills....but in other camp clips he looked overwhelmed. I'm looking forward to see him in games this year as a senior with more strength and experience.

Last edited:
I like Reed and Scaife more as prospects for 2018 and 2019 seasons. But I see why coaches want Campbell in terms of raw athleticism. I like the take. But I would also like to see a 4th OL GT/Juco late in the cycle, or else a Top 100 type kid who is more college ready like Donaldson.

Advertisement
Really not that excited about this. I'm fine with him being in this class but as a late addition after we have missed on bigger OT. July 3 is to early for me for this kid. We need to go hard at the top OT's and keep him on the back burner.

Agreed he will need major work on staying square. He has potential, but he has to actually want to get better.

Agreed he will need major work on staying square. He has potential, but he has to actually want to get better.

When he starts lining up against Joe Jackson & Garvin he'll figure it out real quick lol

Very few high school offensive lineman are physically prepared to play they're first year in college. Give him a year in a half in a College strength and conditioning program and the kid will be fine!

Not disagreeing with you, but have you seen Hillery lately?

Yup. Just saw him. He's still got a LONG way to go to be at the position & weight we want him playing at.
He's 6'6 305 according to pete when he got on campus. Not bad for a freshman tackle

If he's 305 that's the cleanest three hundred pounder I've ever seen. Regardless,it's not about what weight he's at now. It's about him growing into his body & being comfortable enough with his gains that he knows how to react.

Hillery has that Tyron smith physique

Advertisement
This is the same staff that let Kadeem Telfort go to UF without even a fight because they simply didn't want him.

If Campbell was really as questionable as many of you seem to think they wouldn't even be pushing this hard for him.

Since when did people start expecting every OL to be ready to start as a Freshman?
OT, DT & QB are almost always positions that are expected to redshirt for developmental purposes.

The kid has tremendous upside & with some Coaching up can become a legit LT down the line.

Also, I think a lot of you might be overestimating UF's recruiting this year, yall think they're going to land all these top OL's in the state, when in reality a lot of them won't actually end up signing with UF even if they get verbal commitments.

This is the same staff that let Kadeem Telfort go to UF without even a fight because they simply didn't want him.

If Campbell was really as questionable as many of you seem to think they wouldn't even be pushing this hard for him.

Since when did people start expecting every OL to be ready to start as a Freshman?
OT, DT & QB are almost always positions that are expected to redshirt for developmental purposes.

The kid has tremendous upside & with some Coaching up can become a legit LT down the line.

Also, I think a lot of you might be overestimating UF's recruiting this year, yall think they're going to land all these top OL's in the state, when in reality a lot of them won't actually end up signing with UF even if they get verbal commitments.

Seriously, I realize there are a lot of trolls/actual Gator fans on here, but still.

The Tampa/Orlando area is loaded at OL this year, and we're actually doing well head-to-head with UF. Barnes, Petit-Frere, Gouriage, Reed, and Campbell should all be layups for UF.

Instead, we're getting 2 of those and Petit-Frere is going to either Bama or ND. UF has also heavily recruited and badly wants Scaife. We got him and might also take Montilus, another Orlando kid, from UF.

UF is probably going to end up taking Dunlap, who would commit to Miami in a heartbeat.

Seriously, I realize there are a lot of trolls/actual Gator fans on here, but still.

The Tampa/Orlando area is loaded at OL this year, and we're actually doing well head-to-head with UF. Barnes, Petit-Frere, Gouriage, Reed, and Campbell should all be layups for UF.

Instead, we're getting 2 of those and Petit-Frere is going to either Bama or ND. UF has also heavily recruited and badly wants Scaife. We got him and might also take Montilus, another Orlando kid, from UF.

UF is probably going to end up taking Dunlap, who would commit to Miami in a heartbeat.
Far as Dunlap goes were still in it for him but this heartbeat assessment is just wrong. He was commuted to us earlier this year than backed off it once his father died. His mother wants him to be able to come home every day whenever they want. He's a very spur of the moment sort of kid

Ima be honest, I don't like Campbell, really at All. I have not been impressed with him one bit whether on tape or in a camp setting (especially not a camp setting).

Advertisement
Ima be honest, I don't like Campbell, really at All. I have not been impressed with him one bit whether on tape or in a camp setting (especially not a camp setting).

Then you must hate all OL tape because Campbell's is unquestionably good, and pretty much the entire SEC has offered him based on that.

The hate on this kid is weird, given how little you can tell from 1 on 1s in a camp. Then again literally every single recruit has been bashed in some form on here. Worst fans in the country for a reason

Then you must hate all OL tape because Campbell's is unquestionably good, and pretty much the entire SEC has offered him based on that.

The hate on this kid is weird, given how little you can tell from 1 on 1s in a camp. Then again literally every single recruit has been bashed in some form on here. Worst fans in the country for a reason

This...

Oh i'm sorry, i guess nobody else in the world can look at tape and form an opinion. My bad. Please forgive my incompetence.
Don't you know it's a rule to NEVER question the coaching staff because they are ALWAYS right???? Fans are no longer allowed to have opinions

Considering the talent we got this last recruiting cycle and the talent we have and in the running for this year the fans should sit down and be quiet because 99% of the time they don't know what the **** they are talking about haha so obnoxious. Fans know all! Can't understand why they aren't coaches! Mind blowing! This kid is being recruited by OSU, Bama, etc and you want to question the evaluation of our staff lol geez

First, nobody is denying this staff has brought in a lot of talent. And nobody is trashing the staff either.....or the kid. He has some good tape and shows a nasty streak, but also has some questionable tape/clips. Oline and QB are the 2 most difficult positions to project bc so much coaching and technical work is required.....along with instincts and improvisation.

In this case, all some have said is they don't get the hype some are giving him....the same is said about 5* kids of Top15 NFL picks. It doesn't mean they think he's a horrible prospect, just that they have questions or like others more. That's ok! Coaches do miss.....even the best miss, not only HS evaluations but NFL 1st rounders. And yes...Richt has missed as well. Guys will fail. Not every kid is a home run. Some 3 star kids like McIntosh and Norton will develop and shine while others will never play a meaningful snap. It is OK to have an opinion as long as you back it up with more than just "that's dumb". Watch a little tape. How do you feel about Campbell's drop step? What about his punch and hand placement? See if he sinks his hips or keeps them elevated, allowing guys into his frame and losing leverage. Balls of feet vs flatfooted. Wide base vs narrow. Most is coachable....as long as you can break habits. Some may be limited athletically. As i said, the kid looks athletic in his HS spring drills....but in other camp clips he looked overwhelmed. I'm looking forward to see him in games this year as a senior with more strength and experience.

The thing with your analysis is, IMO, your pinpointing the wrong things. Yes, he does look athletic in the HS spring drills. But, he also looks equally athletic on his HS tape (and even in the camp setting). The biggest concern with him is his power and holding up at the point of attack against the stronger prospects. Even in the camp drills where he's getting beat, he's not being run around. He's doing a good job of mirroring the rusher with his feet (good athleticism and good feet are a constant with him), he's just getting overpowered at the point of contact and being pushed off balance.

So, I agree that he needs to do a better job sitting down in his drop, but strongly disagree that he needs major work on his feet. Obviously he needs work on technique (what HS OL with a promise of upside doesn't?). But his naturally swift feet combined with his big frame may be his biggest strengths and are the main reason the cream of the crop schools are after him IMO

Advertisement

Agreed. I don't care what anyone says, Cleveland Reed is one of the top OL prospects in the nation. Future NFL starter IMO. He was a huge loss for the Gators.

Whether people admit it or not. All the hate on him is based on him being beat a few times on the 1 on1 camp videos. He gets overpowered in them.

Weird that a lot of these same people loved the Herbert pickup when his tape (both camps and game) is worse

Whether people admit it or not. All the hate on him is based on him being beat a few times on the 1 on1 camp videos. He gets overpowered in them.

Weird that a lot of these same people loved the Herbert pickup when his tape (both camps and game) is worse

This. On CIS you better never have a bad day at a camp because first impression is the last impression...No coming back ever. LOL. You guys are a trip. I will admit that JC didnt have a "blew me away" camp but according to people who have seen him LIVE he dominated his Spring game. Believe me the coaches saw the same camp film we all saw and they are still hounding the kid and want him..so what does that tell you about what they think of him overall?

Funny to see all these expert opinions on high school ol based on 3 min tapes. When even elite ol coaches have a notoriously difficult time predicting the success of prep ol. Evaluating ol is the biggest crapshoot in college recruiting.

True but if we as fans aren't allowed to play Monday morning arm chair QB, what's the point of these sites?

Advertisement
Back