Joe Rose Raises Warning Flag!

I should also add that Richt knows this team having played them yearly at UGA. GT won't do anything that should surprise this staff. Should the unexpected happen, I would put it on the players not following their assignments or getting beat straight up.

Advertisement
Today, and for what it’s worth, Joe Rose said that he’s worried about the Canes upcoming game with Georgia Tech for more than a few reasons.

He pointed out the normal fall off teams have after a big win, especially one when it’s against your biggest rival at their place after having not beaten them for 7 straight years. This fall off is exacerbated by so many well meaning family, friends and fans offering effusive praise, thus focus and desire can be negatively impacted.

Additionally, Georgia Tech’s abilities are under appreciated and they are better than advertised. Of course, the additional week of preparation and healing for Georgia Tech is of great benefit to them.

As a final point, Rose indicated that Georgia Tech TRULY believes they can win the game and TRULY believe they should win the Coastal Division.

To be sure, I am not running around with my hair on fire bellowing that the sky is falling. But, as we all know, over the last many years after our annual war with FSU we have seen a significant deterioration in the quality of play by the Canes for at least several of the following games.

I know the coaches are fully aware of the aforementioned and will be hammering those points home during this week of preparation. The real test will be…is this Canes team different than those in the recent past and do they have the ability to not just give lip service as to how seriously they are taking the opponent, but do they immediately shift their focus to the next challenge on their schedule?

If the answer is YES…then we are most probably looking at a very special season.

The biggest takeaway from the game against FSU was our weaknesses and strengths. I've streamlined it.

Weaknesses:

1) We're only good against the pass not great, and we're only good with the starters in;
2) Offensively our talent is thin, and now with injuries this only exacerbates that; and
3) We're not much a of drive down the field type of team, we're a big play chunk yardage type of team (this could be seen as a strength and weakness).

Strengths:

1) Depth on the front seven and our willingness to tackle (not talking about proper tackling, talking about our willingness to get our nose dirty);
2) We can attack every spot on the field, short passes, intermediate passes, deep passes in all quadrants of the field, and run the ball inside and out; and
3) Turnovers, we get quite of few of them (even some of the them the refs blow dead.... SMH).

Now with the above stated, the positive and negatives going into this game.

The chunk/big play offense we have hurts us against a team that likes to lives off the TOP, conversely we have a deep enough front 4 that can rotate and be fresh.
They run a significant amount and their passing is limited, that runs into the teeth of our defense.
They have a weask defense, this is based off the game I watched vs. Tennessee. This benefits us since we'll be without Mark Walton (and likely Navaughn Donaldson), so I think we'll be ok.

If we can shore up our tackling and stop making the QB from making big running plays (cause he's the engine that make this motor going, he's real slippery) I think we'll be ok.

Last edited:
We beat our rivals with a last second pass, who had a true freshman QB. We better not get complacent.

Anyone who takes GT lightly does so at their own peril. As mentioned earlier they can easily take 7 minutes off the board on one drive. Also, if they cross their own 40 and anything less than 4 yards on 4th down GT usually leave the offense in, in other words the defense it going to have to play 4 downs most times.
Their offense is all about creating numbers mismatches. This is the game our LB's will have to really play assignment football.
If we can get 2 TD's up on them early and keep that lead late 3rd or later, then we should be able to come out with a W

I hope this isn't like VT in '05. We weren't expected to beat them, we did. Our next game, you guessed it, GT and we lost.

I believe we'll win, but that's why they play the game.

Miami has been down in a hole for more than ten years. They've lost every big game going back to that 2005 VT game, and then blew it by losing to GT. They've beaten FSU, even though they're down, it was still a big win. Now they need to follow it up by beating the teams they're supposed to beat, and not have a letdown. That's the next step in the comeback. On paper, Miami has the athletes to dominate GT, but with that offense, they can keep it close by keeping Miami's offense off the field for half a quarter. Miami needs to get them behind the sticks on the early downs, or they will just grind it out. Their QB can actually throw this year too, which is unusual for them. LB's and DB's need to keep focused and not take the cheese.

Advertisement
That's true but how many quality high ranking teams have we played.

Beating Toledo, duke and FSU is greater than beating UNC, Pitt and Jacksonville state. Will be tough game if Miami does not tackle well and loses the TO battle. First true test for GT, hopefully the senior leadership keeps the team focused.

In the past several years, there was a huge emotional letdown after every FSU loss, and the team would go into a tailspin.

This time there’s a sense of a huge emotional relief, not disappointment. Yet, as mentioned, this can have a different effect, but one that can be just as damaging for the next game.

Bottom line is this: the entire team has to pivot starting TODAY - there was no practice yesterday. I expect there will be a reading of the riot act today to snap the players back to reality, which is this: they better fūcking prepare like beasts and work their asses off and forget all the praise, or they won’t be ready...and for Tech, you better be ready. They’re rested and well prepared

As Shaq55 always says, we have done nothing yet, nor have lived up to the standard.

Fuq Joe Rose and his weekly sessions with Jimbo. ***get wouldn’t be calling for an upset alert on FSU

Advertisement
I know nothing of football schematically but is this a game we could expect man with single high cover-1 and load 8 in the box?

This is the same GT team that lost to Tennessee. Pitt and UNC are among the bottom tier of the conference this year. These guys haven't really played anyone.

You are applying the same logic that many employed prior to the FSU game. "Some" CIS board members were plastering all over this site that FSU had lost 2 games and were nowhere near being a talented, quality team and the Canes were going to blow them out.

I watched the FSU game, and if memory serves me correctly, it was not a blowout and absent a miracle finish by the Canes it appeared with a little over a minute left in the game the Noles were on their way to 8 straight wins over the Canes. At that point I suspect many had long past stopped thinking about FSU's 2 losses.

To be clear: The Tennessee loss means NOTHING concerning the Georgia Tech team that's going to show up on Saturday.

If we are worrying about Georgia Tech then we are not back.

This exact mindset is why we haven't been "back" the last several times we've shown life...

If you want to be great then you must believe it. You want the players to have a mindset of this game will be over at halftime. Look at all the great teams and their mentality.

Golden State Warriors - They are trying to punish you early and often so they can sit by the 4th

Chicago Bulls (Jordan era) they were straight trying to punish you from the tip off

2001 Miami Canes - They tried to end the game in the 1st quarter

If you want to be elite then you must to have the mindset of we are going to punish them. No joking or playing around. UM should never fear Georgia Tech. They are the ones who should be afraid.

Advertisement
Our front seven needs to play sound assignment football and wrap up.

We should march on them offensively. Too many weapons in the barn even without MW.

Rick knows the formula.

I'm just glad to hear that Joe Rose has tapped into the collective mindset of Georgia Tech. It's reassuring that local media personalities have tentacles nationwide that can accurately gauge the confidence levels of future Canes opponents.

Or this is just a predictable lazy take by a guy I actually don't mind. Ohhhh!!! Trap game after a big win!!! Haven't heard that one before.

Advertisement
"As a final point, Rose indicated that Georgia Tech TRULY believes they can win the game and TRULY believe they should win the Coastal Division."

For some reason, I feel that every single year, Georgia Tech and its fans are always way overconfident about this game. I'm not sure where they derive this confidence from. As a fan, I'm never very confident about this game, and my team is the one that has owned the series recently.

As for the whole let-down thing, historically (though yeah, it has been a while), after beating FSU we often get a little bounce in confidence. It's losing to FSU that really throws us in the tank.

"Additionally, Georgia Tech’s abilities are under appreciated"

I don't think anyone with any memory of the first time Miami faced GT's triple option under-appreciates this team's abilities. Everyone knows/remembers what can happen if you don't play assignment football.

Today, and for what it’s worth, Joe Rose said that he’s worried about the Canes upcoming game with Georgia Tech for more than a few reasons.

He pointed out the normal fall off teams have after a big win, especially one when it’s against your biggest rival at their place after having not beaten them for 7 straight years. This fall off is exacerbated by so many well meaning family, friends and fans offering effusive praise, thus focus and desire can be negatively impacted.

Additionally, Georgia Tech’s abilities are under appreciated and they are better than advertised. Of course, the additional week of preparation and healing for Georgia Tech is of great benefit to them.

As a final point, Rose indicated that Georgia Tech TRULY believes they can win the game and TRULY believe they should win the Coastal Division.

To be sure, I am not running around with my hair on fire bellowing that the sky is falling. But, as we all know, over the last many years after our annual war with FSU we have seen a significant deterioration in the quality of play by the Canes for at least several of the following games.

I know the coaches are fully aware of the aforementioned and will be hammering those points home during this week of preparation. The real test will be…is this Canes team different than those in the recent past and do they have the ability to not just give lip service as to how seriously they are taking the opponent, but do they immediately shift their focus to the next challenge on their schedule?

If the answer is YES…then we are most probably looking at a very special season.

Quite a few raised the point.

My concern is that our run defense has been suspect at best...gaping holes. Now for a week we get to work on an entirely new scheme after we haven't played assignment football very well against more straight on offenses.

I agree again that these are the games Richt should earn his paycheck. Just another F$U game where we come out banged up and thin at certain position, except this time, we get the cloud 9 factor of riding high on a last second win. He has a lot to overcome in a week.

Personally I think if Richt owns what he can own and adapts to a running game right at defenses, with a back now who excels running right at defenses...and Diaz / Kool find a way to shore up that run defense....we will be fine. It is a position we havent found ourselves in for quite some time.

UM

Richt doesn't coach the defense, so his 14-2 record against Georgia Tech is, in a way, meaningless.

Advertisement
Back