Joe Rose Raises Warning Flag!

He pointed out the normal fall off teams have after a big win, especially one when it’s against your biggest rival at their place after having not beaten them for 7 straight years.
I am curious how big the pool of data is to make this kind of statement. Teams coming off the first win after 7 losses to their rivals on the road, looks like it may describe a very small number of occurrences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Today, and for what it’s worth, Joe Rose said that he’s worried about the Canes upcoming game with Georgia Tech for more than a few reasons.

He pointed out the normal fall off teams have after a big win, especially one when it’s against your biggest rival at their place after having not beaten them for 7 straight years. This fall off is exacerbated by so many well meaning family, friends and fans offering effusive praise, thus focus and desire can be negatively impacted.

Additionally, Georgia Tech’s abilities are under appreciated and they are better than advertised. Of course, the additional week of preparation and healing for Georgia Tech is of great benefit to them.

As a final point, Rose indicated that Georgia Tech TRULY believes they can win the game and TRULY believe they should win the Coastal Division.

To be sure, I am not running around with my hair on fire bellowing that the sky is falling. But, as we all know, over the last many years after our annual war with FSU we have seen a significant deterioration in the quality of play by the Canes for at least several of the following games.

I know the coaches are fully aware of the aforementioned and will be hammering those points home during this week of preparation. The real test will be…is this Canes team different than those in the recent past and do they have the ability to not just give lip service as to how seriously they are taking the opponent, but do they immediately shift their focus to the next challenge on their schedule?

If the answer is YES…then we are most probably looking at a very special season.

We lost those games. There's a big difference there.

If we are worrying about Georgia Tech then we are not back.

Miami should be worried about GT and I think it is obvious we are not "back" yet but so what? Miami is heading in that direction and we will be among the elite in a year or two.

It is very hard to fly across the country to watch your team then fly back with great disappointment after witnessing a loss. I'm coming all the way from San Diego to watch the game and I'm not going to be disappointed. While I fully understand the challenges our team will face and being aware of our real and perceived weaknesses, I believe we will grow as a team, improve and come up with the win.

Coming from behind to beat FSU at home gives hope that this team has grown by leaps and bounds.

Advertisement
Hold them to negative or 0 to 2 yards on first down and we cooking.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I don't think any teams "underprepare" for Georgia Tech because their game is completely different from anything we will see all season. We just need to make sure that our defense plays with discipline, and we shouldn't have a problem.

You mean if our team plays with discipline against the run like they did against FSU? There's a reason to worry.

I don't think any teams "underprepare" for Georgia Tech because their game is completely different from anything we will see all season. We just need to make sure that our defense plays with discipline, and we shouldn't have a problem.

You mean if our team plays with discipline against the run like they did against FSU? There's a reason to worry.

Not the same situation, much different running scheme and different level of athlete

Totally agree with Joe and disagree with the youngsters here who believe we roll. Our defense has given up a lot of yardage so far this season. The problem with GT is that they control the ball for 7-10 minutes per drive. We won last year because of 2 quick scores. This will be a nail biter and the most difficult game of the regular season in my opinion. The offense is going to have score. GO CANES

Hard to control the clock with 3 and outs. I expect a lot of those this weekend.

Advertisement

The team better **** well be worried about Tech, or they’ll get run over.

If they approach the game with your attitude, they’ll lose.

Fortunately, whether a fan worries or not has no impact on the game and no impact on whether we're back or not.

In "the years" of hard nose Miami football, when were they ever worried about an upcoming game. They had a lead before the game started.

GT is a very disciplined, well practiced, intelligent team.

They have beaten us when we weren't disciplined, nor well practiced, and foolishly going for major hits - and then missing the tackle completely. Corners get lazy from inaction, and GT would smoke them on a crossing route.

We can definitely win - but not like we played FSU. That was butt ugly.

So glad to see a few others call it like it is.

We are all stoked as **** to finally snap the streak, but the satisfaction from that doesn't blur what I saw. We are still a team far from playing 4 quarters.

Maybe I expect too much from these guys, that is a fair point. But on paper and truly, in my opinion, in reality...if we played 75% to our potential for 4 quarters, we beat FSU by 10 without the need for last second heroics. It is almost like we believe we MUST be in that close of a game with them and do some horrific **** to make sure we are there at the end.

That's the exact problem with GT, we get loose, comfortable and undisciplined for a second..ughhh. Here's to Scavo and the coaching staff busting *** this week.

UM

I'm sure Clemson wasn't worrying about Pitt last year

Bingo.

Then mix in an offense you only see once a year , an offense you must stick to assignment football to contain. Then mix in a defense that's shown they can go full ****** at times. Not good ingredients.

They better bring it , or crazy **** can happen. This team is nowhere talented enough to think they can just roll their helmet out and win.

Advertisement
All due respect, most good teams "truly" believe they're going to win and what not.

Georgia Tech's belief has zero to do with Miami's preparation.

This is all about Mark Richt and staff having those kids ready to play and bringing a game plan to shut down the triple option. Period.

Everything else is just white noise. Any talk of bulletin board material and what not.

A win over Florida State literally means nothing if the Canes lose to Georgia Tech and are 1-1 in ACC play.

In reality, would've been better to lose to the Noles and beat the Yellow Jackets for the sake of head-to-head and tiebreakers.

THIS is the difference between a real head coach and those last three frauds that headed up this program.

Go to work, boys.

The team better **** well be worried about Tech, or they’ll get run over.

If they approach the game with your attitude, they’ll lose.

Fortunately, whether a fan worries or not has no impact on the game and no impact on whether we're back or not.

In "the years" of hard nose Miami football, when were they ever worried about an upcoming game. They had a lead before the game started.

So you and others are in love with some fairytale concept that doesn’t actually exist. It’s actually laughable.

This is NOT the 2001 team with a dozen first rounders. By the way, that team almost lost to lowly Boston College, or did you forget that? We were actually lucky to beat them. We also almost lost to an inferior VagTech team.

People are in love with a standard that doesn’t exist and likely never will. We can win more NCs, but they have to work extremely hard for it, prepare like demons, and take NO ONE FOR GRANTED

The best college football team OF ALL TIME, took 2 teams for granted and it took almost miracles not to have 2 losses. How easily people forget and develop crazy fantasies in their heads.

Just be happy our linebackers played as bad as they did & we won. It's the one thing that vegas can't factor in & they are missing on the line. Our linebackers are going to be gettinng their asses CHEWED all week. Expect Shaq Quartermans best game as a Miami Hurricanes Saturday afternoon.

Advertisement
F()ck those nerds, our front 7 ices them cold. So long as the safety play improves from last week, its an easy win

We need to be locked in and focused. No more blatant missed tackles. I think we'll be prepared to play. Glad we are back home.

No one is underestimating Tech. If we struggle with them it's because they are a good team. Their offense is always the same with different players. I put this game on our O. We have to score most times we get the ball. Forcing a couple TOs would help. I also expect Homer to go off and announce himself on the national stage.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Plus when they watched the film, they were brought back to reality. The entire offense was horrible for half the game, the LBS were MIA for most of it and the DBs came close to costing us the game with a blown coverage. We won, we did not play well.

THIS.

If the coaches focus on the team's actual performance vs. the victory, they will have much to keep them hungry and grounded!

Advertisement
Back