Joe rose interview this am.

Advertisement
I’m not in the business of defending Mario but same time I think we are looking at some unprecedented times in college football. Everyone will be going through it

We will lose players we don’t want every season it’s just how do we navigate that?

Everyone seems to be trying to find their footing when it comes to the portal. FSU for example has done a great job but that’s a small sample so does that continue? Or does it change as other teams get caught up on how to run this?

But then again we aren’t doing ourselves any favors by winning 7 games…but we would all agree we were a much better team. How does that land with recruits? Portal transfers?

Should be interesting times brother

The good news is he’s quick to adapt and make decisions…

This has been coming… be ready or be passed by…

OVC.

Half our fanbase thinks we're a Midwestern team.

The other half desperately yearns for FSU to be undefeated.
I'm REALLY looking forward to the off season bat **** crazy energy CIS is going to bring into 2024.

I feel very good where this board is headed, and quite frankly, we've developed some top talent right here.

No need to poach other boards and bring anyone in via portal. Our 5 deep is elite compared to anyone's in the country right now.

@ben

Based on Mario's interview we are clearly trimming the roster ( he wants over 30 new players, more Bain's), sounds like some new coaches could be added, and he talked about looking for a QB. it sounded like TVD and Jacurri are gone. Some of us have discussed this stuff privately now it seems Mario is going public.

Another interesting thing. He said Miami needs more late season winter games to be tough and we need to have pride late in season and in bowl games regardless of the bowl.

If Mario could get his game day management to match his recruiting and the way he talks about progress we might actually turn this thing around.

Advertisement
That's not what Mario said actually. Gotta watch what people say smh

Physical Football Culture

Cristobal highlighted a change in the team's approach to colder climate games. “For a good dozen years, Miami has blown off those games up North and these guys went out there warming up NFL-style without a shirt on. We challenged them all week – they went up there and played really physical football down a couple guys.”
Based on Mario's interview we are clearly trimming the roster ( he wants over 30 new players, more Bain's), sounds like some new coaches could be added, and he talked about looking for a QB. it sounded like TVD and Jacurri are gone. Some of us have discussed this stuff privately now it seems Mario is going public.

Another interesting thing. He said Miami needs more late season winter games to be tough and we need to have pride late in season and in bowl games regardless of the bowl.

Yep. There are kids who just aren't quite up to snuff (couple OL, guys like Balom, et al) and then there are kids who are backups, will remain rotational guys but want to be starters (Chantz, BSmith, et al). I hope we keep more of the latter than the former.

Agree that it’s all about who transfers out.

First we need to keep our projected starters. You know other teams are back channeling our guys just as we’re doing with their guys.

Then we need to protect our projected two deep (provided they’re talented and not JAGs) and the most promising young guys like the Washington brothers.

I counted under 50 guys we really want to keep. So we definitely have room to push out some guys and bring in 35+.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the off season bat **** crazy energy CIS is going to bring into 2024.

I feel very good where this board is headed, and quite frankly, we've developed some top talent right here.

No need to poach other boards and bring anyone in via portal. Our 5 deep is elite compared to anyone's in the country right now.

@ben

We always gotta be looking to upgrade. If there’s a MySpace Canes fan that we can snag to upgrade one of the Maude’s we gotta do it

Crib alluded to yesterday this portal class likely being our best yet, if we only bring in 8 would that be fair to assume the 8 guys we could land might be impact players ?
That's the idea.

Hopefully less pursuing guys like Jaden Davis, Ladson, Harrell, Denis, Lichtenstein, Davonte Brown, and Henry Parrish types just because they're from here and pursue more of the Kiko, Matt Lee, Javion Cohen types with production and pedigree from all over the country.

I get that you can't get them all because $ is a factor and other programs are interested. Then, it's easier to pivot to the local kids coming back home. Just pick the right ones. Most of those in that list are undersized and physically limited guys. If they're coming back home, take some fliers on guys that are a) big enough to play their position - Lichtenstein got abused on the interior all year. b) fast - Jaden Davis is a decent player he's just slow. Same with Parrish, Brown, etc. c) Take the guys producing at smaller schools, not the ones that are busts but at bigger schools - Denis and Ladson didn't do anything at their prior school and never deserved a spot here. I was fine with the late flier on Harrell but we never used him how he should have been used.

Advertisement
I’m not in the business of defending Mario but same time I think we are looking at some unprecedented times in college football. Everyone will be going through it

We will lose players we don’t want every season it’s just how do we navigate that?

Everyone seems to be trying to find their footing when it comes to the portal. FSU for example has done a great job but that’s a small sample so does that continue? Or does it change as other teams get caught up on how to run this?

But then again we aren’t doing ourselves any favors by winning 7 games…but we would all agree we were a much better team. How does that land with recruits? Portal transfers?

Should be interesting times brother
Yes of course I agree but that wasn't the intent of my post. I've been extremely critical of Mario and I don't deny that. At the same time I always give credit where credit is due. I may be hard but I'm fair or at least I think I am. LOL

I was basically just stating the obvious in terms of the challenges in front of us as it relates to the Portal. We must attempt to build the best roster possible not only by recruiting HS players and getting talent via the portal but in this day and age a big part of that puzzle will also be convincing young talented players who have not seen the field yet that this is the best situation for them and what the plan is for them specifically. This is especially true in our current situation where we are somewhat close to turning the corner in terms of talent acquisition and moving ourselves into position to be a serious threat. This is a critical phase of this building process and we cannot afford to take two steps or even one step back at this juncture. I wasn't assigning blame or ripping Mario in some passive aggressive manner. I'm sure it's fairly well known that when I see fit to rip into Mario I go all out and there is zero subtlety involved. Having said all that yes I agree with your appraisal of the situation above and that's another reason why the GT thing was so costly. At this stage we can't afford the luxury of throwing a win away because Mario had a brain fart. Like @OrangeBowlMagic just said, "It's going to take a while to wash the stink off of this one".

Interesting times indeed my brother!

That's the idea.

Hopefully less pursuing guys like Jaden Davis, Ladson, Harrell, Denis, Lichtenstein, Davonte Brown, and Henry Parrish types just because they're from here and pursue more of the Kiko, Matt Lee, Javion Cohen types with production and pedigree from all over the country.

I get that you can't get them all because $ is a factor and other programs are interested. Then, it's easier to pivot to the local kids coming back home. Just pick the right ones. Most of those in that list are undersized and physically limited guys. If they're coming back home, take some fliers on guys that are a) big enough to play their position - Lichtenstein got abused on the interior all year. b) fast - Jaden Davis is a decent player he's just slow. Same with Parrish, Brown, etc. c) Take the guys producing at smaller schools, not the ones that are busts but at bigger schools - Denis and Ladson didn't do anything at their prior school and never deserved a spot here. I was fine with the late flier on Harrell but we never used him how he should have been used.
I don’t think you can put Parrish in that first group. He wasn’t elite but very good.

The good news is he’s quick to adapt and make decisions…

This has been coming… be ready or be passed by…
We got passed by a long time ago and we are just sitting around with a bunch of **** programs

We can’t meaningfully do anything long term until we start winning some games that matter

But the fall Saturday outcomes start now so we will see how it goes

Advertisement
Yes of course I agree but that wasn't the intent of my post. I've been extremely critical of Mario and I don't deny that. At the same time I always give credit where credit is due. I may be hard but I'm fair or at least I think I am. LOL

I was basically just stating the obvious in terms of the challenges in front of us as it relates to the Portal. We must attempt to build the best roster possible not only by recruiting HS players and getting talent via the portal but in this day and age a big part of that puzzle will also be convincing young talented players who have not seen the field yet that this is the best situation for them and what the plan is for them specifically. This is especially true in our current situation where we are somewhat close to turning the corner in terms of talent acquisition and moving ourselves into position to be a serious threat. This is a critical phase of this building process and we cannot afford to take two steps or even one step back at this juncture. I wasn't assigning blame or ripping Mario in some passive aggressive manner. I'm sure it's fairly well known that when I see fit to rip into Mario I go all out and there is zero subtlety involved. Having said all that yes I agree with your appraisal of the situation above and that's another reason why the GT thing was so costly. At this stage we can't afford the luxury of throwing a win away because Mario had a brain fart. Like @OrangeBowlMagic just said, "It's going to take a while to wash the stink off of this one".

Interesting times indeed my brother!
Yeah I agreed with what you were saying for sure

Was just adding my own two cents to a topic that doesn’t have any real answers at the moment

I don’t think you can put Parrish in that first group. He wasn’t elite but very good.
I'm fine with the Parrish take at the time but now that you've put together 3 classes and have Fletcher, Chaney, Citizen, Riley, CWH, and maybe Lyle in the bag... we shouldn't be taking a Henry Parrish again.

You sign Chance, Jojo, Carr, Ray Ray, Robby Washington, etc... we shouldn't be signing a Frank Ladson type again.

Probably not fair to put Parrish in that category but it's not far off. There were better backs than Parrish that we could have had but we chose him because he's from here and was coached by Kevin Smith

Crib alluded to yesterday this portal class likely being our best yet, if we only bring in 8 would that be fair to assume the 8 guys we could land might be impact players ?
I hope they're impact players, otherwise you've messed up recruiting. Young guys should be your depth pieces.

Advertisement
Yeah I agreed with what you were saying for sure

Was just adding my own two cents to a topic that doesn’t have any real answers at the moment
Yes I realize that now lol . I'm literally trying to do 5 things at once right now and only skimmed your post the first time. We are in complete agreement brother. We just need to overcome and make it through the storm with as few casualties as possible. Then after everything is said and done and we have lost some and gained some we sit down and reevaluate to find out exactly where we stand and how to effectively move forward. Hopefully we find that all the craziness and player movement gave us a net gain and a better football team than before.

JB needs portal film
This is actually a legit response. It was talked about in our game where the announcers were talking about what the transfer portal has become and how some players go into the portal with this unrealistic thinking and end up having no where to go. I could be wrong, but the only way I could see JB getting picked up right now is because he's at a critical position, so he'd likely find a spot.

I'm fine with the Parrish take at the time but now that you've put together 3 classes and have Fletcher, Chaney, Citizen, Riley, CWH, and maybe Lyle in the bag... we shouldn't be taking a Henry Parrish again.

You sign Chance, Jojo, Carr, Ray Ray, Robby Washington, etc... we shouldn't be signing a Frank Ladson type again.

Probably not fair to put Parrish in that category but it's not far off. There were better backs than Parrish that we could have had but we chose him because he's from here and was coached by Kevin Smith
the problem with the Parrish take is that we passed on Benson to take him. Hindsight 20/20 but tough to rationalize Mario's HS recruit going to FSU and burning us for 2 years

Advertisement
Back