Joe rose interview this am.

Advertisement
Here is the quote about bowls and November games. He isn’t exactly wrong.

“We need to make sure there’s no complacency. For example, that the bowl game, the postseason becomes a serious thing for Miami. Let’s call it what it is: There’s been an arrogant approach to the postseason and late-season games unless you’re playing for it all. That can’t happen here.”
I disagree with a lot of his philosophies in terms of the style of football but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed listening to him use every PR approved way of saying Diaz and those before him created a culture of soft front-runners

Advertisement
"Miami needs more late season winter games to be tough"

Mario needs to spend less time thinking about dumb ****
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Can’t wait to hear about Mario cranking the AC to 40 in the IPF to get ready for the Fenway Bowl.

The next 6 weeks or so will definitely help clarify how the rest of the college football world sees our “progress”

Our portal activity has been reflective of where we stand in the pecking order

Our recruiting has been a bit better than where we stand (not a Mario thing this has been the case for a long time)

The honeymoon phase is over

We all know what the fans here think by now, so time to see how the people that matter feel

It's not that way right now.. that would be the ideal scenario.

But you have to recruit strong across the board for 2-3 cycles to get there. We haven't been good enough recruiting QB, DT, or DB to be at that point yet
Past success/failure with those 3 positions isn’t helping in bringing in more talent and this years offensive performance didn’t help with QB recruitment although there were signs of a pulse here and there.

What Guidry did with the defense might help with DT’s and DB’s and the go to “playing time” narrative could be used.

Advertisement
Yeah, I’d say 10+ via the portal. Latest rumor is that we’ll lose 20-25 in the portal. If you combine the seniors with early entries (~ 15), then you can see where you get to the 10+ number via portal acquisitions pretty easily. I’d say 10-15.
The key is going to be how many of those 20-25 are players that you did not want to lose. That number must be kept to a bare minimum but that is obvious.

He basically sent an open invite for coaches to tamper with TVD. Nice.
1) If they're gonna tamper, they're gonna do it regardless of Mario.

2) Are we really thinking programs will approach TVD (besides SMU probably)? And with how he played midseason and having that leg condition to worry about, and assuming he's already mentally out the door, do we really care if they tamper?

I listened to the interview and this was aggregated poorly. He said that Miami has to take late season and bowl games more seriously.
Thanks. It probably doesnt matter anyway but i perhaps have a case of the Mondays.

Advertisement
The key is going to be how many of those 20-25 are players that you did not want to lose. That number must be kept to a bare minimum but that is obvious.

Yep. There are kids who just aren't quite up to snuff (couple OL, guys like Balom, et al) and then there are kids who are backups, will remain rotational guys but want to be starters (Chantz, BSmith, et al). I hope we keep more of the latter than the former.

Advertisement
I’m not in the business of defending Mario but same time I think we are looking at some unprecedented times in college football. Everyone will be going through it

We will lose players we don’t want every season it’s just how do we navigate that?

Everyone seems to be trying to find their footing when it comes to the portal. FSU for example has done a great job but that’s a small sample so does that continue? Or does it change as other teams get caught up on how to run this?

But then again we aren’t doing ourselves any favors by winning 7 games…but we would all agree we were a much better team. How does that land with recruits? Portal transfers?

Should be interesting times brother

Advertisement
Back