Jim, you are on the clock.

You don’t pay an AD 3 million for status quo. He brings credibility and enough power to hire a coach that no one else could. Don’t be surprised if he exceeds expectations
Sure hope so.

He seemed very happy with Brad Brownell at Clemson with his 208-154 record at Clemson over the past 12 years (going 95-100 in ACC games). 12 years is a long time for only 3 NCAA appearances (one of them way back in his first season).

Coach L has gone a more impressive 208-133 in 11 seasons here. And that, of course, includes a rare and impressive "double" championship in the ACC.

Advertisement
Sure hope so.

He seemed very happy with Brad Brownell at Clemson with his 208-154 record at Clemson over the past 12 years (going 95-100 in ACC games). 12 years is a long time for only 3 NCAA appearances (one of them way back in his first season).

Coach L has gone a more impressive 208-133 in 11 seasons here. And that, of course, includes a rare and impressive "double" championship in the ACC.
I'm super excited about what Rad brings for football, but the basketball resume is uninspiring at best. Brownell has been purely mediocre there, yet Rad never made a move to upgrade.

The trend is for big-time programs to hire former star players as HC. I would love for Miami to do that but, we don't have many former star hoopers. Perhaps we should steal from the Duke tree.............................

Sure hope so.

I don’t think anyone is bothered by Larranaga’s first few seasons here. In fact, I’d be willing to say that most fans were pleased. Ultimately, it’s the last 3-4 years that could very well end Larranaga’s time as our HC.

The trend is for big-time programs to hire former star players as HC. I would love for Miami to do that but, we don't have many former star hoopers. Perhaps we should steal from the Duke tree.............................
what's Shane Battier doing these days???

Advertisement
Wojo and Collins haven't exactly succeeded at Marquette and Northwestern. Dawkins failed at Stanford, as did Bender at Washington. Snyder had good initial success at Mizzou, as did Amaker at Michigan. Then, they flamed out. Mike Brey has been, by far, the best former Duke Asst.

Advertisement
Got to give Jim credit for the 180% turnaround.

Not to make excuses because I don’t believe in that, but that FBI thing was a real punch in the gut for him personally and the program. I know for a fact that he was devastated by that. I have criticisms but I don’t believe now is the time nor the place.

Not to make excuses because I don’t believe in that, but that FBI thing was a real punch in the gut for him personally and the program. I know for a fact that he was devastated by that. I have criticisms but I don’t believe now is the time nor the place.
He seems recharged and has more energy than we’ve seen in years. It’s been great to see. Maybe all that is finally in the past.

He seems recharged and has more energy than we’ve seen in years. It’s been great to see. Maybe all that is finally in the past.

Maybe the Ticket seller BJ had some goods on him... now that he is gone, he must feel like a free man

This negative thread didn't age well.

A lot of busters on here eating lots of crow right now.

I've never understood the hate for coach L.

Dude had the program rolling and the freaking FBI scandal rocked the program to it's knees.

Then if you add in the injuries the team has endured, it's no wonder the coach and the team has struggled.

John Wooden couldn't have won under the circumstances that L faced.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Anyone who says Larranaga didn't warrant some criticism for the state of our basketball program prior to this month just wasn't paying attention. I'm ecstatic about last night's win and the impressive 9 game winning streak we're currently on, but let's not turn a blind eye and pretending the past 3-4 years of misery didn't happen. All excuses aside, Larranaga has as much fault in that agonizing run as he has in our current climb back up the rankings.

GO CANES!

Last edited:
Anyone who says Larranaga didn't warrant some criticism for the state of our basketball program prior to this month just wasn't paying attention. I'm ecstatic about last night's win and the impressive 9 game winning streak we're currently on, but let's not turn a blind eye and pretending the past 3-4 years of misery didn't happen. All excuses aside, Larranaga has as much fault in that agonizing run as he has in our current climb back up the rankings.

GO CANES!

Are you not taking the circumstances coach L and the team have had to deal with over the last 3 or 4 years?

I get it. We all get it. The coach is the leader and when it's all said and done, wins and losses are ultimately how a coach and a program are judged at the end of the day.

The last 3 or 4 years have been brutal to say the least. But to blame coach L for circumstances that were beyond his control is unfair to say the least.

The FBI scandal and the NCAA probe were program killers. If you add on the ridiculous amount of unforseen injuries the team dealt with over the past 3 or 4 years , you're talking about unprecedented times.

For some fans to turn on coach L like they have has been irresponsible. At least from a fans prospective.

Some of ya'll are so quick to turn when things unexpectedly don't go ya'll's way. Just take your L and move on rather sitting here trying to justify why you were wrong about coach L and the basketball program.

Are you not taking the circumstances coach L and the team have had to deal with over the last 3 or 4 years?

I get it. We all get it. The coach is the leader and when it's all said and done, wins and losses are ultimately how a coach and a program are judged at the end of the day.

The last 3 or 4 years have been brutal to say the least. But to blame coach L for circumstances that were beyond his control is unfair to say the least.

The FBI scandal and the NCAA probe were program killers. If you add on the ridiculous amount of unforseen injuries the team dealt with over the past 3 or 4 years , you're talking about unprecedented times.

For some fans to turn on coach L like they have has been irresponsible. At least from a fans prospective.

Some of ya'll are so quick to turn when things unexpectedly don't go ya'll's way. Just take your L and move on rather sitting here trying to justify why you were wrong about coach L and the basketball program.
I hear you and I do get it. To an extent there were things out of his control that played a role in matters. However, other programs had to endure the same FBI investigation as well and came out of the other side of things much better than we did. And granted, we had our fair share of bad luck with the rash of injuries the past few years, but whether we like it or not, injuries are part of the game and all teams go thru it at one point or another. Good teams have the depth to absorb them and get thru it, bad teams don't. Unfortunately, because of the poor job the staff did on the recruiting circuit the past few years we didn't have the bench talent needed. Needless to say when we were able to land some recruits (Cross & Timberlake) we lose them within the year for whatever reason. Had player quit during the season. It was a complete s**-show.

I think most of us, the first year or two after the FBI scandal were patient and hopeful things would turn for the program, but after year 3 and 4 there was just so much a fanbase could take. Program was in complete disarray. No energy. Just seemed like an altogether lethargic and lackluster effort from the staff and things trickled down to the players.

I'm happy things finally seem to be turning around. Not mad at all it's happening with Larranaga on the sidelines. Hope it continues. Time will tell. Still a lot of season left to be played.

GO CANES!!

Advertisement
Back