Jim, you are on the clock.

This negative thread didn't age well.

A lot of busters on here eating lots of crow right now.

I've never understood the hate for coach L.

Dude had the program rolling and the freaking FBI scandal rocked the program to it's knees.

Then if you add in the injuries the team has endured, it's no wonder the coach and the team has struggled.

John Wooden couldn't have won under the circumstances that L faced.
Lol people acting like we had the death penalty with the FBI investigation lol. The cloud part II lol. He’s ran off a bunch of really good players and been bad in the portal. This isn’t football , there’s only twelve guys in a roster and only 7-8 play a lot. We’re 3 years older than most elite programs but the bad news is we’ll be losing majority of the key guys next year . Will we be right back in the same place ? One year doesn’t fix the last 4-5 years I need to see more before I “ eat crow “. After last year I was done and i’m normally very patient.

When @IndayArtHauz and myself say “ that’s it” you know it’s awful. Because we both both legit like the guy.

Advertisement
Lol people acting like we had the death penalty with the FBI investigation lol. The cloud part II lol. He’s ran off a bunch of really good players and been bad in the portal. This isn’t football , there’s only twelve guys in a roster and only 7-8 play a lot. We’re 3 years older than most elite programs but the bad news is we’ll be losing majority of the key guys next year . Will we be right back in the same place ? One year doesn’t fix the last 4-5 years I need to see more before I “ eat crow “. After last year I was done and i’m normally very patient.

When @IndayArtHauz and myself say “ that’s it” you know it’s awful. Because we both both legit like the guy.

This is just totally wrong. Miami was shut down until Wong & Walker’s class. Period. You can’t just take ACC level players… they have to want to come. And Miami has zero basketball attraction beyond what L has been able to build… which was completely blown up by the drawn out FBI investigation.

Now Wong and Walker’s class is beating Duke at Duke.

Don’t say you love someone and want to support them and then bash them against all objective reality.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You may want to get off Inday's nuts and try living in the moment and enjoy this ride.

You're kidding yourself if you think the FBI and the NCAA didn't scare off kids and affect the program negatively over the last 3 or 4 years.

Nobody is talking about a cloud either. I'll leave that talk to the mouth breathers on the football board. I'mjust spitting facts that the probe wasn't good for the program in any way shape or form.

If you throw in the unbelievable amount of injuries the team dealt with, then my Canes brother, that is what I would call a perfect storm that impacted the program is a real negative way.

So if you want to live in the past and biych and moan about the last 3 or 4 years and play nastradamus about the future of the hoop program, have at it.

I'm going to enjoy the ride and stick with coach L and the team as we move forward.

Three horrible teams in a row and I’m crazy for blindly not jumping back on and all is forgiven lol.

Using the FBI investigation for three years of god awful on court product , horrible recruiting , horrible roster management while running off highly rated kids you recruited:

If you’ve played any basketball you can see see the offense is a straight mess , even this year. We just have a bunch of old guys making plays. It’s literally street ball with zero creativity. Set a high screen and go or just beat your guy one on one lol. I rarely see a play when I say ” wow, he drew that up well“.

Look at our big man depth and size lol, is that the fbi’s fault too? Or is it the continual striking out he does at that position group?

I just find it funny the people telling folks to eat crow after the last three horrible seasons. Like this debate is suddenly settled lmao. I wasn’t telling you to eat crow the last three losing records. This season doesn’t make that three years go away and make me suddenly buy in. I’m still concerned about the program with L in charge and I have good reason to feel that way.

He’s a great coach with a great career , and I want him to win but that still doesn’t mean there’s still not red flags staring you in the face.

I will say the excuses were over going into this season, this was his last season with anything close to last year. But like I said he’s far from
out of the woods just because of one season.

Last edited:
Coincidence or correlation that the better play and coaching seems to coincide w all the noise and subsequent changes in the athletic department in early Dec? Whatever the reason, this team is fun to watch right now and playing w a chip on their shoulder. Keep it going.

Advertisement
Three horrible teams in a row and I’m crazy for blindly not jumping back on and all is forgiven lol.

Using the FBI investigation for three years of god awful on court product , horrible recruiting , horrible roster management while running off highly rated kids you recruited:

If you’ve played any basketball you can see see the offense is a straight mess , even this year. We just have a bunch of old guys making plays. It’s literally street ball with zero creativity. Set a high screen and go or just beat your guy one on one lol. I rarely see a play when I say ” wow, he drew that up well“.

Look at our big man depth and size lol, is that the fbi’s fault too? Or is it the continual striking out he does at that position group?

I just find it funny the people telling folks to eat crow after the last three horrible seasons. Like this debate is suddenly settled lmao. I wasn’t telling you to eat crow the last three losing records. This season doesn’t make that three years go away and make me suddenly buy in. I’m still concerned about the program with L in charge and I have good reason to feel that way.

He’s a great coach with a great career , and I want him to win but that still doesn’t mean there’s still not red flags starting you in the face.

I will say the excuses were over going into this season, this was his last season with anything close to last year. But like I said he’s far from
So you just gonna die on this negative hill? At the expense of being right when you may be wrong? Man, try and leave that ****t alone and try and enjoy this ride.

I hear you and I do get it. To an extent there were things out of his control that played a role in matters. However, other programs had to endure the same FBI investigation as well and came out of the other side of things much better than we did. And granted, we had our fair share of bad luck with the rash of injuries the past few years, but whether we like it or not, injuries are part of the game and all teams go thru it at one point or another. Good teams have the depth to absorb them and get thru it, bad teams don't. Unfortunately, because of the poor job the staff did on the recruiting circuit the past few years we didn't have the bench talent needed. Needless to say when we were able to land some recruits (Cross & Timberlake) we lose them within the year for whatever reason. Had player quit during the season. It was a complete s**-show.

I think most of us, the first year or two after the FBI scandal were patient and hopeful things would turn for the program, but after year 3 and 4 there was just so much a fanbase could take. Program was in complete disarray. No energy. Just seemed like an altogether lethargic and lackluster effort from the staff and things trickled down to the players.

I'm happy things finally seem to be turning around. Not mad at all it's happening with Larranaga on the sidelines. Hope it continues. Time will tell. Still a lot of season left to be played.

GO CANES!!
I honestly think the FBI, NCAA probe sucked all of the wind out of the programs sails. Then when the injuries started piling up. Coach L was dead in the water for a while.
I just think under those circumstances, there wouldn't be a coach in the country that could have excelled during the past 3 or 4 years. Agreed. It has looked bad. Train wreck bad but it looks like coach L may have gotten the program back on track with a nice recruiting class and a team that is balling out so far this year. Time will tell. But I like what I'm seeing right now. Looks like we got the makings of a nice run ahead of us. This should be fun!

I honestly think the FBI, NCAA probe sucked all of the wind out of the programs sails. Then when the injuries started piling up. Coach L was dead in the water for a while.
I just think under those circumstances, there wouldn't be a coach in the country that could have excelled during the past 3 or 4 years. Agreed. It has looked bad. Train wreck bad but it looks like coach L may have gotten the program back on track with a nice recruiting class and a team that is balling out so far this year. Time will tell. But I like what I'm seeing right now. Looks like we got the makings of a nice run ahead of us. This should be fun!

As someone else posted, it’s different for a traditional power to get knocked by a FBI criminal investigation than for an up and comer with ZERO history, s#!Ty fans, and no bags.

We simply couldn’t get ACC level talent for basically 2-3 classes because they didn’t want to come to a place with no infrastructure and fan support and the uncertainty created by a lingering FBI criminal investigation.

The injuries just turned 18-20 win teams into sub-.500 teams.

Cross was a result of overlooking attitude issues to get an ACC level talent when your options are limited. Timberlake was a ***** up by the medical team.

And yet… Wong’s class was the first post-FBI recovery class and he is a sophomore 5-0 in conference play and just won at Cameron.

As someone else posted, it’s different for a traditional power to get knocked by a FBI criminal investigation than for an up and comer with ZERO history, s#!Ty fans, and no bags.

We simply couldn’t get ACC level talent for basically 2-3 classes because they didn’t want to come to a place with no infrastructure and fan support and the uncertainty created by a lingering FBI criminal investigation.

Cross was a result of overlooking attitude issues to get an ACC level talent when your options are limited. Timberlake was a ***** up by the medical team.

And yet… Wong’s class was the first post-FBI recovery class and he is a sophomore 5-0 in conference play and just won at Cameron.
Facts

Advertisement
You may want to get off Inday's nuts and try living in the moment and enjoy this ride.

You're kidding yourself if you think the FBI and the NCAA didn't scare off kids and affect the program negatively over the last 3 or 4 years.

Nobody is talking about a cloud either. I'll leave that talk to the mouth breathers on the football board. I'mjust spitting facts that the probe wasn't good for the program in any way shape or form.

If you throw in the unbelievable amount of injuries the team dealt with, then my Canes brother, that is what I would call a perfect storm that impacted the program is a real negative way.

So if you want to live in the past and biych and moan about the last 3 or 4 years and play nastradamus about the future of the hoop program, have at it.

I'm going to enjoy the ride and stick with coach L and the team as we move forward.
Were we the only team with excuses? Were we the only team involved In the fbi scandal? Will some of you pull L’s **** from your mouth and answer this question ? Rather than repeating the same bs like a parrot?

Btw I used Inday as the example because if he sees the same negative bs I see it must be bad. Because he’s as positive of a fan as you’ll find.

Ive been on this board debating and I’ve mentioned on multiple issues right down to schematics, blue chippers leaving , yet all I’ve heard is “ Fbi , injuries , football guy and I’m wrong“. Nothing to counter an on court debate just excuses to deflect from the subject. Some of you act like we haven’t landed highly rated recruits for the last 2-3 years Yet they leave or never do jack.

Whats funny I’ve been griping about his garbage offensive creativity for years here, it’s rec league level, But I’m sure thats because of the fbi scandal too. Lol.

Some of you in here are the types to tell people to “eat crow“ right now but if the bottom falls out of the season youll spam the board with your excuses or just go awol. You can’t talk or discuss things with people like that. That's somebody with no arguments and going off emotion rather than the topic.

I hope we win the Acc and land a great class but to mock guys telling them to eat crow , or act like there's no red flags , like this guy is beyond reproach is hilarious. You don't sound like Cane fans , you sound like L guys. Almost like you're very biased.

I've already wasted my time debating people who only use the same excuses, but I'm the " football guy".

Good day guys , tell L I said what's up.

Saddiq Bey admitted he was headed to Miami until the FBI news broke. There are not many good basketball players out there. It's the nature of the game. To miss out an elite player like that is crippling. How many others did we miss out?

If Dewan had played in 2019, I think we make the tournament. That was not a bad team (75 Kenpom). But we came up painfully short in so many games. Dewan would've made a huge difference.

I don't believe L was perfect the last 3 seasons, especially the last 2. Far from it. But looking at his overall body of work - including this season's masterpiece - he's been by far the GOAT coach here.

Advertisement

He’s a great coach with a great career , and I want him to win but that still doesn’t mean there’s still not red flags staring you in the face.

He used Duke's aggressive against them last night. Using Sam as a passer in 5-out offense. The back cuts were obviously the game plan. Frankly our guards are better than Duke's and probably better than most if we give them space and hunt matchups. It would be dumb not to exploit that. We hunted matchups. It was more NBA than anything else. Speed, quickness and Sam's ability to read the defense. Since playing smaller and leaning on quickness PPG game has gone up. That isn't an accident.

Nothing creative about handing the ball to Derrick Henry 378 times in a season either. The 2027 rushing yards justify it though

He used Duke's aggressive against them last night. Using Sam as a passer in 5-out offense. The back cuts were obviously the game plan. Frankly our guards are better than Duke's and probably better than most if we give them space and hunt matchups. It would be dumb not to exploit that. We hunted matchups. It was more NBA than anything else. Speed, quickness and Sam's ability to read the defense. Since playing smaller and leaning on quickness PPG game has gone up. That isn't an accident.

Nothing creative about handing the ball to Derrick Henry 378 times in a season either. The 2027 rushing yards justify it though
So all we need to make this rec league offense look good is a couple guys from the class of 2016 and a Jr? Im going off years not two 30 year olds winning one on one battles lol, covering up the same garbage.

So all we need to make this rec league offense look good is a couple guys from the class of 2016 and a Jr? Im going off years not two 30 year olds winning one on one battles lol, covering up the same garbage.
What you need is your guards to be better than the guys on the other side. Your problem is that they've found something that works and they're spamming it? Or are you lashing out because other posters took shots and now L and the team this year are catching strays while you try to defend yourself?

What they're running now isn't the same as previous years. They probably would've been better off the last couple years just completely ignoring anyone on the roster over 6'6" if the backcourt and wings could've stayed healthy. The frontcourt players were that bad/injured. A healthy Sam has made a difference. He can stretch the floor and has become a solid piece of the offense.

The two 30 year olds were 30 before the year started and no one saw this coming. Moore and McGusty weren't exactly tabbed as All-Americans so yeah the offense that has been implemented is reason to applaud L. Sure it is a long season but they've already proven they can play with and beat the best in the conference.

You’re just being intentionally obtuse.

Lol 7-7 vs Duke/Coach K is “street ball” and just letting athletes play.

Ironically, you could criticize L’s offense in legitimate ways (it requires certain ingredients to “go” and can be vulnerable against the zone without a proficient big — but then again there’s no perfect offense that can hide any deficiency and thrive against any defense)… but “street ball” is just not one of them.

It’s a high ball screen offense designed to create spacing and create mismatches specifically to beat blue bloods with more size whose base defense is man concepts.

I myself had forgotten that before the FBI criminal investigation cratered recruiting we made the tourney 2016, 2017, and 2018.

Then when we were finally able to sign a real class in ‘20… we’re beating duke at Cameron and undefeated in conference play 2 years later.

Advertisement
Back