Jim, you are on the clock.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love what L has done for this program but we can all see the writing on the wall here. I hope he retires so we aren't forced to fire him. I don't want him to go out on a sour note.
Well, if we can hold the 4 new kids then sure you have somewhat of a foundation for the next guy. But he will also leave us with 4 consecutive losing seasons. We have 4 super seniors and at least 2 kids who will be gone. We need major portal kids next year. We fired Clark after 2 losing seasons.

If they don't win this year, I think L retires. Frankly, I don't know if he has the stamina to rebuild the way he did the first time before all of the momentum was taken away. Honestly, once it became evident that it was going to be a long term build, and L wasn't going to hit the portal to fill in those needs en masse, it was probably time to move on. I'm not going to lie, a lot of us, myself included were blinded by what L had done before and we wanted to see him walk out a winner. That said, a new AD, new leadership, it's time. One can only hope that this team plays well, and gives us some memories, maybe send L out a winner by making one last postseason run(although NIT appears to be the ceiling)

Like most, I have some admiration and affection for Coach L as well. Things are pretty bad though, but my real hope is that the new AD knows his stuff in all the major sports: BB: Who else we could (afford and) get, how Jim & staff are doing recruiting-wise compared to possible/available replacement coaching staff, how sound his schemes are for the personnel available, etc.

If the new AD thinks a hUUUge change is necessary (or not) I give him a chance.

Advertisement
Dead money? Whatever we’re paying him is “dead money”. Look at our last three seasons. Move on ASAP.
He lost in first round of tourney to a play in team with the most talented roster Miami will ever have in hoops. I knew that season the game had passed him by. Haven’t changed my tune since then regardless of those on this board that gave him the benefit of doubt for prior success. This program has been a mess since the super team with Lonnie, Bruce, and Dewan

Advertisement
All I can find on L's contract is that he made $1.5 million as of 2020. Anyone know the buyout? I know this stuff usually isn't public because Miami is a private school.

Advertisement
Only concern I have is if we throw the kitchen sink at Mario, will there be enough funds/resources left to buy out Coach L's contract?
So crazy story, I was in Asheville this past weekend and USCe had a tournament there. Spoke with someone very connected to the program and they said Frank Martin is being handcuffed by the Administration there and they feel like he's not appreciated.

I know he isn't our 1st pick, but I'm pretty sure he would come at the drop of a hat and IMO would be an upgrade at Coach.

*Side note I had been drinking heavily because Miami football...he also was drinking heavily because USCe football was on at the same time. Bier Garden in Ashville is a fun spot.

I said the same thing in the football forum before the FSU loss (which I had to witness in person, then a traffic jam) -

IF Coach (L) wins out, he can stay!

Hiring a new AD is the easy way to overhaul your entire coaching staff in all sports because the acceptable PR quote will be...
The new AD needs to be able to pick his own coaches.
After this season, Coach L only has one year left on his contract. Another good PR move will be to let him coach next season and not give him an extension. The proper PR statement will be that that will be discussed after the season.
In fairness to everyone, these moves are much needed. If you ask the baseball fans, they also want a new head coach.
Women's basketball might be the safest but that might be for only another season or two.

Advertisement
Back