Jim Leavitt

The upgrade on defense with Leavitt and Patrick over D'Onofrio and Franklin is unbelievable.

What are your opinions on Barrow and Williams? Not sold on anyone of our D position coaches.

Williams is the only one I would keep. He's produced.

Advertisement
The upgrade on defense with Leavitt and Patrick over D'Onofrio and Franklin is unbelievable.

What are your opinions on Barrow and Williams? Not sold on anyone of our D position coaches.

If this hypothetical plays out, you keep Barrow as "LB" coach and let him learn from Leavitt, who will coach the LB's. His recruiting importance cannot be disputed in So FL. Williams is fine IMO as well.

Is there an NCAA rule that states we have to have defensive coaches? I say just let the players do whatever the **** they want. Can't be any worse.

If this hypothetical plays out, you keep Barrow as "LB" coach and let him learn from Leavitt, who will coach the LB's. His recruiting importance cannot be disputed in So FL. Williams is fine IMO as well.

That's fine, if the #'s allow it. Barrow is obviously huge for our recruiting but I think that's a bit overplayed if he can't help out as a coach.

Is there an NCAA rule that states we have to have defensive coaches? I say just let the players do whatever the **** they want. Can't be any worse.

True. Let be a Willie Williams kind of defense. No plays, let these kids react and swarm to the ball.

Advertisement
True. Competition for him would be Kansas if Weis is fired there. AD there was first recruiting coordinator at USF under Leavitt and it is a Big12 HC job.

If he comes back to college, it'll probably be for a head coaching position.

Also, if by some miracle Golden fires his man-lover, reaches out to Leavitt, Leavitt is interested and interviews, Golden offers and Shalalalala accepts Leavitt as a coach at the University of Miami he'll be here for two years tops IMO.

Or much longer as the head coach?

Everyone keeps bring up Kevin Patrick as a DL coach. He might be a great coach, but do people realize he's been out of coaching since 2010? Do people realize that he coached from 2006-2008 and before that from 1996-1998? It's not like he was a coach for 20 years. He's coached for 5 years, and has been out of coaching since being let go by USF in 2010. I'm not saying he's not a good coach and would not be a good coach, but if he was the savior that some seem to think he is, he would be coaching somewhere right now.

Kevin wants to coach in the right situation. He is successful privately and coaches more as a hobby to be honest, but can pick and choose where he wants to do it.

Ok, so we want someone who coaches as a hobby? I'm asking...seriously.

As opposed to our current situation?

Advertisement
I'm ready to see what Miami's defense looks like with a different LB coach.

Advertisement
It is my opinion that this is the ultimate hire that Al can make on the defensive side of the ball. He has a proven track record of over 20+ years, built a program out of a single trailor into relevance in a 10 year period, and is one of the premier LB coaches in all of football. Plus he relishes another opportunity in the college game, and prefers FL as his daughter lives in Tampa still with 1 year left of high school.

That solves 2 problems, he coaches up the defense and the LB's, enabling you to keep Barrow on staff for recruiting purposes as defensive assistant /LB coach, and also learn from this man for his career development. Another couple of caveats is his relationship with Kevin Patrick as possible DL coach, dynamic recruiter and much better coach than our current one. The other his is familiarity with FL recruiting and the relationships he has in this state including South FL. He recruited SFL pretty well considering he was getting sloppy 2nd's most of the time, but he knows the schools and coaches throughout. Again just my opinion, but he needs to be option numero uno for this position.

offered me a verbal schollie in high school...always respected him. actually remember going to a trailer @ usf to see the guy.....he would be a ridiculous hire.

we wont do it but dude would have our defense acc championship level from day one....and he recruits like a beast also.

Sebastianpipe: When you said "there is interest", did you mean interest in the DC job from him? Interest from UM?, or mutual?

Advertisement
Sebastianpipe: When you said "there is interest", did you mean interest in the DC job from him? Interest from UM?, or mutual?

He is interested in a college football job, being in FL, and becoming a college HC again. Will he take a lower tier job or a higher tier coordinator job? I've been told Higher tier coordinator job, but as I just stated if Kansas comes calling with an offer to be HC in a major conference, that is going to be tough to beat, due to his relationship with the AD there.

FYI he was offered the FAU job before Pelini got hired and turned it down. That is a fact.

Advertisement
Back