Jim Leavitt

Advertisement
The truth of the matter is that head coaches usually hire coordinators that they know (or know of) and they do not hire hot-heads. Jim Leavitt did not leave on good terms with USF. And with Miami trying to clean up its image, I seriously doubt Al would even consider him.

if al wants to keep his job and put a good product on the field he would consider him

True. However, Al has to admit that his defense is not working and is not Miami standard.

What baffles me is that Al studied the Miami teams of the past and in many ways he idolized them since his Penn State teams could not beat Miami. However, we are using a bend-don't-break defense instead of an aggressive, attacking style of defense.

Monster hire. Not happening.

Unless he thinks Golden is on the way out...

Not necessarily. Not tooting my horn or claiming to be an insider of any means, but I played ball in college and GA'd for a few years, before I got an offer in the pvt sector that was better for me. There are some people I know personally within football 1 of whom works for the 49ers in the front office, and others the lead fund raiser at USF who used to be dir. of ops for football during Leavitt's tenure. Just know he prefers the college game, and prefers FL for the next few years. Yes he is HC material but just like George O'Leary and Petrino, to come back as a HC, would require a 2nd tier mid level school. There is interest there, and if the iron is hot to move this program forward, he is the guy Al needs right now.

I am hopeful something gets done, that is all. Message Board discussion.

Advertisement

Not necessarily. Not tooting my horn or claiming to be an insider of any means, but I played ball in college and GA'd for a few years, before I got an offer in the pvt sector that was better for me. There are some people I know personally within football 1 of whom works for the 49ers in the front office, and others the lead fund raiser at USF who used to be dir. of ops for football during Leavitt's tenure. Just know he prefers the college game, and prefers FL for the next few years. Yes he is HC material but just like George O'Leary and Petrino, to come back as a HC, would require a 2nd tier mid level school. There is interest there, and if the iron is hot to move this program forward, he is the guy Al needs right now.

I should just say when I say "not happening" I don't mean it as disrespect. I mean it more like "oh for the love of God please let this glorious day happen but I can't get my hopes up because there's......" well you get it

Great coordinators stay for few years and go after something bigger. Stop being scared about him leaving after a few years.

I should just say when I say "not happening" I don't mean it as disrespect. I mean it more like "oh for the love of God please let this glorious day happen but I can't get my hopes up because there's......" well you get it

None takin my man. I hear you on the sounds to good to be true type of thought.

Great coordinators stay for few years and go after something bigger. Stop being scared about him leaving after a few years.

I'm gonna assume you're referring to my post. I understand that coordinators move on after having success. I don't want a coordinator who no one else wants. That was only a small part of my post.

My thing was that I feel there are a number of road blocks standing in the way of Leavitt and Miami. Two of the biggest being Golden's homo-erotic love for Doritos and Shalalalala caring more about the image of Miami than the product on the field itself.

Advertisement
You are spot on with both. The image of Miami is thUg U and always will be. Miami is what it is today, largely because of the football team and the recognition it brought to the school. **** with the choir boy approach 100% academic rating, we were still thUg U, so that mantra will stick until the end of time. It is what it is or as Al would say the nomenclature, so accept it and put a product worth watching on the field again.

I'm gonna assume you're referring to my post. I understand that coordinators move on after having success. I don't want a coordinator who no one else wants. That was only a small part of my post.

My thing was that I feel there are a number of road blocks standing in the way of Leavitt and Miami. Two of the biggest being Golden's homo-erotic love for Doritos and Shalalalala caring more about the image of Miami than the product on the field itself.

That's how I would sum it up as well.

Everyone keeps bring up Kevin Patrick as a DL coach. He might be a great coach, but do people realize he's been out of coaching since 2010? Do people realize that he coached from 2006-2008 and before that from 1996-1998? It's not like he was a coach for 20 years. He's coached for 5 years, and has been out of coaching since being let go by USF in 2010. I'm not saying he's not a good coach and would not be a good coach, but if he was the savior that some seem to think he is, he would be coaching somewhere right now.

Everyone keeps bring up Kevin Patrick as a DL coach. He might be a great coach, but do people realize he's been out of coaching since 2010? Do people realize that he coached from 2006-2008 and before that from 1996-1998? It's not like he was a coach for 20 years. He's coached for 5 years, and has been out of coaching since being let go by USF in 2010. I'm not saying he's not a good coach and would not be a good coach, but if he was the savior that some seem to think he is, he would be coaching somewhere right now.

Kevin wants to coach in the right situation. He is successful privately and coaches more as a hobby to be honest, but can pick and choose where he wants to do it.

Advertisement

Kevin wants to coach in the right situation. He is successful privately and coaches more as a hobby to be honest, but can pick and choose where he wants to do it.

Ok, so we want someone who coaches as a hobby? I'm asking...seriously.

Thanks for the insight.

Its important not to get caught up in the "I will take anyone different" mentality that comes with wanting to fire coaches. Different doesnt mean better. Patrick has always intrigued me as well. If Golden chooses to make changes I think he will have a much easier road than Randy did so who knows what names might pop up?

I doubt the "I coach as a hobby" gimmick will endear him to very many programs.

Advertisement

Ok, so we want someone who coaches as a hobby? I'm asking...seriously.

Yes seriously, he produced two AA DE's in Selvie and JPP, plus LeRon McClain 3rd round pick by Carolina Panthers a few years back. Guy knows the game and has a reputation of being a strong recruiter. Compared to our current situation which I will lay out below, that is a huge upgrade.

Jethro coaches for a living, and cant produce didly poo outside of Mo Wilkerson. Look at his profile on hurricanesports.com and prominent players coached. All in the NFL. Not one guy of note while at USC and his years there correlate with their downturn as well.

Last edited:

I doubt the "I coach as a hobby" gimmick will endear him to very many programs.

Figure of speech I used. He doesnt have to coach to make a living put it that way, so he can choose when and where he coaches when he wants to.

The upgrade on defense with Leavitt and Patrick over D'Onofrio and Franklin is unbelievable.

What are your opinions on Barrow and Williams? Not sold on anyone of our D position coaches.

Advertisement
Back